It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Keep Raw Meat From Contaminating Surfaces

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
nothing like having my 20$ steak cooked in a styrafoam and plastic container , must taste yummy!!! your gross, grow a pair and wash with soap and water!! your making an extra step for yourself that isnt needed, i have been cooking for 15 yrs and have never gotten food poisiioned or gotten anyone sick! that i know of!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Its not wise to use antibacterials for common things like this, you may create resistance in bacterias to the active compound.

I think the odds of you creating a new variant of bacteria in your kitchen are exceedingly slim. Its all the "already exist" ones that can get you.

The most important thing you can do is wash your hands. If you're preparing meat wash the counter, thenyour hands.

You're playing with fire with this "technique".

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

I've been mindlessly doing your process for years. Never really gave that much thought to it. But I switched to Pyrex after everything about BPA came out.

But you are right, it does work very well. Kind of cool how you broke down everything. You have a career in front of you as a lawyer or engineer.

To every one who is complaining about "Boiling a steak". Letting a frozen steak sitting in a sealed container set in 165 degrees for 5 minutes is not boiling it. It's just a speedy manner to defrost it.
edit on 9-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by Bilk22

You guys are reminding me of the scene form the movie 'Better off Dead', where the mom boiled the bacon because the father had told her that he didn't like bacon to be greasy.

I do not freak out over uncooked meat juices. I use a large wooden cutting board and unwrap the meat on top of it. I do what prep work I need to on it and afterward, I wash the cutting board.
Yeah we're in the same boat and that's pretty much all it takes. Red meat should still be red when consumed

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

All right, my bad. I just re-read the OP opening remarks. I initially thought that he was talking about defrosting. But he is talking about cooking it. That can't be good.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

soulpowertothendegree
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Suit yourself, I suggest you are mistaken, the fact is every package with plastic already has chemicals in the process, if anything this would help take the chemicals out of the food in a liquid state.

im sorry but you are rather deluded if you think the way to remove plastic from your food is to boil it WITH THE PLASTIC

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

for generations my family have cut their meat in a wooden table and none died of food poisoning.

with all this talk i wonder if you people looks like this after preparing a steak

edit on 9-4-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Agreed.
I love to grind my own beef and have a handful raw with salt and pepper.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is major overkill.

As someone who really enjoys cooking, you're killing your meals.

Why not just.. clean up after yourself?

Don't do this with fish. Frozen fish should thaw uncovered or it's going to taste off. I catch and freeze a lot of trout and the occasional bass or kokanee - You need to thaw it in a container with no lid or the lid propped open overnight in the refrigerator.

Also.. Don't buy such low quality meat. My bacon doesn't come in a plastic vacuum sealed package. It comes from the butcher, thick sliced and peppered, wrapped in butcher's paper. I use a bamboo cutting board to prepare meat, vegetables, etc.. I've been cooking this way for years and with proper cleaning methods and food handling skills I haven't dead or even been sick yet.

So, to sum up, use good cleaning techniques and stop buying low quality crap bacon from the refrigerator at your grocery store (this goes for all your meat) and you won't have to worry about these problems.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I own a restaurant. I buy and handle more raw meat in a week than most people in a year. The only meat we boil is our corned brisket, omg it's so tasty! Most meat can be eaten raw. Bacon has been cured, salted and smoked. There is absolutely no reason to boil bacon before cooking. You run more risk of contamination by taking a raw piece of meat and partially cooking it, then handeling it, then trying to cook it again. Please do not boil any meat in plastic, ever. If I caught an employee boiling meat in plastic I would fire them.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

I've been mindlessly doing your process for years. Never really gave that much thought to it. But I switched to Pyrex after everything about BPA came out.

But you are right, it does work very well. Kind of cool how you broke down everything. You have a career in front of you as a lawyer or engineer.

To every one who is complaining about "Boiling a steak". Letting a frozen steak sitting in a sealed container set in 165 degrees for 5 minutes is not boiling it. It's just a speedy manner to defrost it.
edit on 9-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

Actually, this method only encourages bacterial growth. If you want a juicy, tender, delicious steak you let it warm naturally to room temperature before putting any actual heat on it.

Otherwise you get tough, crappy steaks. I know people who do this will argue this point, but it's science and you can't argue with proven science.

Anyone who truly enjoys and knows how to cook should be offended by this thread. =P

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Yea, I would be one of those guys who begs to differ when it comes to defrosting (or maybe it's actually lack of planning on my part). But 5 min in a sealed container in hot water defrosts just enough to allow you to put the steak on the grill when you are in a rush to get dinner ready.

If I actually plan the meal, I'll let it defrost in the fridge over the day so that it's ready for when I get home.

But I have defrosted many meats and fish using my technique and have yet to get food poisoning. But it's a qiuck defrost...not boiling.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
There is a reason that millions of recipies do not include the boil in plastic before cooking step. Listen to cooks and chefs. Study their techniques. Eat some carpaccio.
edit on 9-4-2014 by RammerJammer because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2014 by RammerJammer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I leave my meat in a container on the counter for about an hour before even cooking it. Sometimes with a marinade, other times without. Try it - let your next steaks naturally warm (preferably cooled but never frozen) to room temperature before cooking them. This is a fool proof way to have a tender and fantastically juicy steak every time... Unless you (not YOU, just in general) totally suck at cooking.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Bilk22

All right, my bad. I just re-read the OP opening remarks. I initially thought that he was talking about defrosting. But he is talking about cooking it. That can't be good.
Yeah the only time I boil meat is to make corned beef or soups
Boiled steak notsomuch LOL

Oh a quick way to defrost without using heat is to get yourself a slab of marble or granite, unless you have a counter surface that's either, and put the frozen piece of meat on it. You can keep it loosely wrapped in plastic wrap for this if you like. It will defrost rather quickly but it's obviously dependent upon the thickness of the cut.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

There is a reason that on the packaging of frozen meat it tells you how to defrost it, and it's not placing it in hot water. Placing meat in hot water is cooking, not defrosting. If you are going to put frozen meat in water to defrost it should be cold ice water, yes it takes longer but that's defrosting.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RammerJammer

Is it a good technique for red meat? I use it for chicken and fishes, when I forget to get them out early, but I thought it wasn't a good idea for red meat?
edit on 9-4-2014 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

TinkerHaus

I leave my meat in a container on the counter for about an hour before even cooking it. Sometimes with a marinade, other times without. Try it - let your next steaks naturally warm (preferably cooled but never frozen) to room temperature before cooking them. This is a fool proof way to have a tender and fantastically juicy steak every time... Unless you (not YOU, just in general) totally suck at cooking.

I am reminded of the writings of some 'great white hunter' in Africa. I forget which one it was, but he mentioned killing an elephant, taking the tusks and traveling on. He returned by the same area a few weeks later to find natives cutting meat off the putrefying carcass and taking it back to their camp to eat. He said the smell alone was enough to make one vomit and these natives were eating it, without ill effect.
After reading that, I don't really worry about meat lying on the counter for an hour or two.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

It's not a good idea for any meat to be defrosted outside of a fridge. Keep in mind that there is a difference between defrosting and bring to room temp. It's really not good to freeze steak in the first place but I do understand why people do it. Just what someone mentioned earlier, red meat should be red.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

TinkerHaus

I'm actually quite a good cook. My marinades are sought after as well. I've been approached to market them, but I don't have the capital, nor is the company that wanted to market them willing to put up the money. The marinade market is brutal.

Yes, I prefer to let meat sit in a container, but there have been quite a few times were I need a quick defrost. As I said before, 5 minutes in a container is not all that bad. It defrosts the meat enough to grill it. I absolutely refuse to defrost meat in a microwave.

On a side note: I am trying to avoid frozen anything, except leftovers (Chili/Soup, I can't make those except in large batches) and Italian Ice these last two months and buy what I need for three days at a time. It's pretty expensive. But so was throwing out food that I wasn't eating. I must say that sticking to my menu is a real pain in the tuckus. Cooking for four is real easy, but cooking for one is a nuisance at times.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join