It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: 20 injured in stabbings at Pennsylvania school

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

pond470
Bit of uplifting news: a student named Nate Scimio thought quickly enough to pull the fire alarm. It might sound like common sense to us, but as a young kid in that sort of situation, I really applaud him. He is hospitalized for what appears to be a minor/superficial injury.

sweet....smart kid..

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

VforVendettea
reply to post by AnteBellum

Why don't the schools teach the children from kindergarden on how to stand up to bullies, disarm attackers, defend themselves and others?

edit on 9-4-2014 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

But that would make us a violent, savage society.....:rolleyes:

I wish more schools would teach these values and more lessons on financial responsibility...things we can actually USE in the real world. I teach my kids to stand up for themselves. They argue with eachother and sometimes get into physical altercations with eachother....they try to tell on eachother and I tell them to work it out, they started it so they need to finish it. If one gets hurt then maybe they should have figured out a way to negotiate their issue rather than fight. School of hard knocks is my way. If I tell you something bad will happen if you do a certain action, based on my experiences, and you choose to do that action, and something bad happens, it was your decision to do that action, but now you have also learned the lesson I learned and will hopefully not repeat it unless it is required for some reason.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

LDragonFire
What would you wager that he was on a SSRI inhibitor? But if he is a minor will we ever know?

Prayers to those affected.

I know dozens of people on SSRI S...

none of them have stabbed or shot anyone.
Gross generalization and demoralizing to those who have mental illnesses and need medication to be as "normal" as you think you are.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Thank god this wasn't "Shooting" instead of stabbing or it would be 20 DEAD and not injured.
Sad news this, poor kids.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Vasa Croe

VforVendettea

Why don't the schools teach the children from kindergarden on how to stand up to bullies, disarm attackers, defend themselves and others?

I wish more schools would teach these values and more lessons on financial responsibility...things we can actually USE in the real world. I teach my kids to stand up for themselves. They argue with eachother and sometimes get into physical altercations with eachother....they try to tell on eachother and I tell them to work it out, they started it so they need to finish it. If one gets hurt then maybe they should have figured out a way to negotiate their issue rather than fight. School of hard knocks is my way. If I tell you something bad will happen if you do a certain action, based on my experiences, and you choose to do that action, and something bad happens, it was your decision to do that action, but now you have also learned the lesson I learned and will hopefully not repeat it unless it is required for some reason.

Most public and some private have very strict anti-bullying policies.
Parents, however, are the best resource in stopping bullying and those being bullied. Some parents just dont care and believe it is the school's job to raise their children.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

AnteBellum
reply to post by luciddream

I wasn't implying the efficacy of paper being used vs. a gun. Just how these incidents often tend to make officials react by doing strange things. Such as expelling a student for pointing a chicken finger at someone.

in defense of your point of view AB:

Re books over guns...
maybe one should interject a true story here?

Only the presence of a Bible over his heart saved the life of a Dayton, Ohio, bus driver who is in the hospital today with injuries suffered during a form of black mob violence called a “polar bear attack.”

Police say the bus driver is lucky to be alive after three black “teenagers” stabbed and shot him. A Bible over the bus driver’s heart stopped two bullets and allowed him to fight off a knife attack from his assailants

www.4forums.com...
driver wins, punkins lose
while i fully support gun rights
guns aren't the answer...
the correct answer is brains and hearts...

and don't get me started on an old western where sidney portier played a preacher...
guess what paperwerk he filed his gun in?

edit on Wedam4b20144America/Chicago52 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

LDragonFire
What would you wager that he was on a SSRI inhibitor? But if he is a minor will we ever know?

And probably at the recommendation of the school if so. They are getting more and more involved in decisions like these for the parents and the influence of the school on the childs medications is truly unbelievable. Schools here suggested and tried to have my stepson medicated for ADD which we fought and basically told them to "F" off. Sure he doesn't pay attention all the time....he's 8....show me an adult who can sit through a class all day. Schools are ridiculous these days and if I could home school my kids I would. Schools are all about pressuring kids and families into better grades and give nothing to them in regards to community and a purpose. It is mostly public schools I am speaking of, there are many private schools which do not do this and DO teach kids the right way. My oldest daughter is in a Montessori school and I could not be happier with how they teach there.....true life lessons and giving back and community oriented.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

the owlbear
I live in PA.
The schools here are finishing/just finished their PSSA tests. You know the ones that determine funding so that's all that is taught for curriculum.
Maybe a kid just snapped from filling in all the bubbles and writing short paragraphs for the past week.

LOL!

those standardized tests are the biggest waste of time.....i know i wanted to roll up the test booklet, and smack my teacher upside the head , more than once, for making us waste our time on that crap...i would have rather been reading, or actually learning something...or maybe taking a test that helped determine whether i'd pass or fail for the year...hell, taking a dump would have been more productive....

i actually did that once...freshman year of high school, i took my test booklet, and my pencil, and i went to leave the room, and the district functionary, administering the test asked me where i was going...i told them i had to take a dump, and i didn't have a crossword puzzle, so i was gonna kill two birds with one stone, and do the test while i did my test...they argued with me, and i went anyway...then sent security for me, and when they came charging into the room, and knocked on the stall, i opened it, and said "do you mind?" the guard turned red, and left.....i got suspended for a week....my teachers all thought it was funny as hell, especially my shop teacher..

those tests are such a waste of time..

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

luciddream

AnteBellum
reply to post by shaneslaughta

It's easy to kill with a magazine or packet of paper 50 pages or so.
I don't think some realize just how easy!

But that is the point anything can be used as a weapon, it's INTENT that makes an item a weapon.

If there are two people fighting.

One have a Gun, and the other have a stack of paper.

Ill bet on the guy with the gun.

Yes anything can be used as a weapon, however, the lethality varies.

Some can take hours to kill one person, in a close combat, like a stack of papers! and then there are some that takes micro seconds, from far to kill 50 people..

not to be disagreeable LD
but
lots of people on ATS have guns
how many arguments have they won with them?

edit on Wedam4b20144America/Chicago25 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

alldaylong
The correct description should be "perpetrator"

nope...that term ascribes absolute guilt to the person in question....it can only be used AFTER their guilt has been established.

until then, they are a suspect.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This amazes me. Really.
Kids are attacked and injured in school, and the first thing that comes out of our mouths is propaganda about pro or anti-guns.

This whole world is going to waste while we bicker and argue over our personal rights, color of skin, Democrat or Republican. If we don't stop this we will lose all our rights and we will have nothing because Government will step in and apply their fix. We do not want that.

We as people need to come together and fix the problems that have created this mess. It is not one specific thing. It is a general lack of personal responsibility, laziness, immorality, blame the other guy cause I didn't do it attitude.

Parents are afraid to punish their children or are too lazy to give two shakes about what they do. Schools can't punish them either and most don't even care anymore. So we sit and blame each other every time something like this happens. It has to stop. If not, I fear for the future even more than I fear for the present.

We have raised a crop of self entitled brats, that wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. No one to blame but ourselves. We have allowed it little by little.

Communities have completely fallen apart. Families, well that is a thing of the past. Old fashioned by today's standards.

Like it or not, we have to fix the problem from within before we try to fix the bigger problems. That starts at home and communities. Then City, State and Country.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

the owlbear

Vasa Croe

VforVendettea

Most public and some private have very strict anti-bullying policies.
Parents, however, are the best resource in stopping bullying and those being bullied. Some parents just dont care and believe it is the school's job to raise their children.

Yeah, and that is unfortunate. If you teach a kid not to stick up for themselves then they never will. Maybe we should get back to allowing schools to paddle them. I am not a proponent of physical punishment by any means, but I can say there have been a very few instance when a swift smack on my kids back side has been a very quick reminder of how you need to act and be respectful. All society seems to be doing is raising cowards and wimps who see the only way out as being something major and eventful. I have been in physical fights, even as an adult, and can say that with 90% of them I am friends/friendly now with the person I was in the fight with regardless of win/lose. There is a level of respect for a person who stands up for themselves that you can't teach....it has to be learned through life and personal experience. Same for jobs....you get walked on and never stand up for yourself, you will never advance because those above you will use you as they have since the beginning to get more for themselves.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Daedalus

alldaylong

nope...that term ascribes absolute guilt to the person in question....it can only be used AFTER their guilt has been established.

A tricky one.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-4-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

LDragonFire

just wanted to point out that "SSRI" stands for either "selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor", or "serotonin-specific re-uptake inhibitor"...calling it an "SSRI Inhibitor" is redundant

kinda like calling an ATM (automated teller machine), an "ATM Machine"

but i agree, it would be MOST interesting to know if the person who did this was on an SSRI, or some other kind of psychiatric drug, as it does fit the profile...but yeah, if it's a minor, we'll never know...wouldn't want people to be able to establish a pattern, and go after the REAL problem....much easier to keep people tied up in the useless waste of time that is the gun debate..
edit on 9-4-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Daedalus

LDragonFire

just wanted to point out that "SSRI" stands for either "selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor", or "serotonin-specific re-uptake inhibitor"...calling it an "SSRI Inhibitor" is redundant

kinda like calling an ATM (automated teller machine), and "ATM Machine"

but i agree, it would be MOST interesting to know if the person who did this was on an SSRI, or some other kind of psychiatric drug, as it does fit the profile...but yeah, if it's a minor, we'll never know...wouldn't want people to be able to establish a pattern, and go after the REAL problem....much easier to keep people tied up in the useless waste of time that is the gun debate..

Ha....I have the same issue with this when people say NIC Card talking about hardware....Network Interface Card Card....nice.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

stargatetravels
Thank god this wasn't "Shooting" instead of stabbing or it would be 20 DEAD and not injured.
Sad news this, poor kids.

whoever called it...you just won 20 bucks...

an argument similar to this was already made, and shown to be complete B.S.

kindly stop.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

LDragonFire

This statement actually hurt my brain.
1) SSRI stands for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, so what you actually said was "Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor Inhibitor". OUCH, hurt my brain again.
2) I was on SSRI's for years. I never shot, stabbed, bludgeoned, or assaulted anyone in any way. There are thousands if not millions who are also on SSRI's without committing crimes. Its the PERSON, not the drug that is responsible for atrocities.

Please cease your rather obvious agenda against SSRI's. They can be quite useful for the treatment of depression.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

alldaylong

Daedalus

alldaylong

A tricky one.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-4-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

...but isn't all that, what i just said?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Why has CNN announced the FBI is on the scene? I was under the impression the FBI only gets involved if someone has crossed state lines...

This attack was by a sophomore from the school, so I assume he lives in the community.

Des

edit on 9-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

NeuronDivide
It seems a little implausible that one person could stab twenty people and not be restrained by anyone
edit on 9-4-2014 by NeuronDivide because: (no reason given)

When people are conditioned to be helpless and are not permitted to defend themselves, you get stacks of helpless victims.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join