It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: 20 injured in stabbings at Pennsylvania school

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

AnteBellum
reply to post by gravitized[/url]

Yea, April sucks!

I'm sure my mother would have agreed with you as she was giving birth to me.

The fact that this infection of despair/violence has now filtered down to schools at the high school level & below should be *extremely* worrisome to everyone. Incidents like this simply did NOT happen 25+ years ago.

And it's getting worse...
edit on 4/9/2014 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Rocker2013
This is why I don't support the argument that assault weapons are in any way similar or comparable.

While I agree that something is dangerous in the hands of a dangerous person, and people will kill using other methods if assault rifles were not available to them, but the fact is that more people can be murdered with far greater ease thanks to a weapon that has no useful place in a modern society.

An assault rifle is a weapon of war, a knife is a tool for cutting. These are two very different things. One has a useful place in our lives, the other has no useful place in a decent society.

and it's this kind of ignorance that keeps the argument going.

firstly, when talking about guns, there is no such thing as an "assault weapon", or "assault rifle"...those are politically-correct euphemisms, created by stupid people, and USED by stupid people to generate an atmosphere of fear...to perpetuate the idea that these tools are inherently evil...they need an operator, and that operator is who's deciding what the tool will be used for...same as a knife.

as this event PROVES, people with a determinated intent to do grievous bodily harm to others, WILL find a way to do so. removing certain tools from availability, simply because YOU, personally, have no use for them, will not stop this....it is your OPINION, that they have no place in a decent society....not a fact.

i've always found it intensely hypocritical, and fairly idiotic.....people rail on about guns, and how they're evil, even without a users, and how nobody should have them, and if you collect guns, or own more than one, you're an even BIGGER bastard.....yet, they never say anything about people with collections of knives and swords...and in some cases, they themselves, are collectors of knives, or swords, or both....knives and swords can be JUST as lethal as a gun, in the right hands...

what is it about guns that they fear so? is it the loud sound? or maybe their appearance? or perhaps it's the ability to kill from a distance? would they some how be more acceptable if they all had suppressors, and looked like they were made by fisher price, complete with pastel-colored plastics and paints?....

crossbows, and even a regular bow can kill from a distance...why don't these people ever complain about crossbows?

this is why the entire argument is moronic, and disingenuous....they cherry pick only those points that make their argument look the strongest, while ignoring anything inconvenient..

ETA: amazing how they've manage to turn this into a gun debate, instead of discussing knives? i guess the fact that a knife was used was just an inconvenient truth...
edit on 9-4-2014 by Daedalus because: anti-gunner's detatchment from reality

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

vor78

I agree with you. It IS just a tool. But there's an attempt to differentiate between one implement and another in these incidents, and I don't think that makes much sense. Both are easily capable of inflicting serious or fatal wounds in the hands of a person with ill-intent, and its those people who should be the focus, not the means they may use, because as we've seen, they'll find a means regardless of regulations or bans.

I misunderstood you. The people who try to separate a knife from a gun or a stone just dont get the bigger picture im afraid.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

vor78

shaneslaughta

vor78
But its just a knife, a tool...

(Sitting here shaking my head...)

It is just a tool.....its how you use the tool. Its the persons intent. Should we ban staplers and nail guns as well? How about shovels or even my socket wrench?

I agree with you. It IS just a tool. But there's an attempt to differentiate between one implement and another in these incidents, and I don't think that makes much sense. Both are easily capable of inflicting serious or fatal wounds in the hands of a person with ill-intent, and its those people who should be the focus, not the means they may use, because as we've seen, they'll find a means regardless of regulations or bans.

My mistake for not clarifying.
edit on 9-4-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

People spend too much time these days focusing their ill will towards the instrument and not the person. Maybe if we would focus more on big pharma screwing up the heads of people more than helping, we could find other means to help and allow them to have normal lives rather than go on a killing spree. There are so many more things to focus on that cause so much more harm than whatever instrument is used to kill it is mind blowing. Focus shift needs to occur to ferret out the root of the issue before it happens, not a knee jerk reaction after the fact.

People need to spend more time re-connecting with others and their families....the world would be a much better place. I like my world and this is what I do.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Vasa Croe

shaneslaughta

vor78
But its just a knife, a tool...

(Sitting here shaking my head...)

It is just a tool.....its how you use the tool. Its the persons intent. Should we ban staplers and nail guns as well? How about shovels or even my socket wrench? The only thing i use it for is turning nuts and bolts.....and hitting the said auto when things go wrong.
edit on 4/9/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

Your poor defenseless automobile. You should be put away. PETA....People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles will be knocking on your door soon....LOL

LOLLL I never said it was MY auto......
in fact....i havent owned one in two years. I just fix them for side work.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This one hit a little too close to home. I might have to leave early to see my 2 year old. I am sick to my stomach.

~JT

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

NeuronDivide
It seems a little implausible that one person could stab twenty people and not be restrained by anyone
edit on 9-4-2014 by NeuronDivide because: (no reason given)

Not if he's running through the halls randomly stabbing people.

I once saw 2 girls laugh for 10 seconds with shotguns in their faces after being ordered to get on the floor because they thought it was a joke. Every situation is different, reaction times vary, and the truth is you really don't know what you'd do without having been there.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

I heard this too!!!! CNN, right? I flipped when I heard it! It was the first source they spoke to over the phone, I believe. Looking for a video of it now to share, here.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I am currently searching for a link, I heard it as well. It was on CNN.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

edit on 4/9/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

link   
I find it amusing to no end how many times guns have been mentioned in a stabbing thread.
Agendas are fun.

link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

People need to spend more time re-connecting with others and their families....the world would be a much better place. I like my world and this is what I do.

I couldn't agree with you more and I think this needs to be extended to schools also. The sense of community should be stressed at all public schools. The problem being families splitting up and kids getting relocated more and more often. It eventually leads to them never feeling like they belong to anything, not at home or in school.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

pond470

I heard this too!!!! CNN, right? I flipped when I heard it! It was the first source they spoke to over the phone, I believe. Looking for a video of it now to share, here.

ac·tor
[ak-ter]
noun
a person who acts in stage plays, motion pictures, television broadcasts, etc.
a person who does something; participant.
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin āctor, equivalent to āg- (see act) + -tor -tor

#2 is clearly what them mean.

The person complicit in the actions. The one that engaged in said actions....the ACTOR.

"There is an actor in custody. Murrysville police are in the process of interviewing him," said Dan Stevens, the county's deputy emergency management coordinator. Read more: www.wtae.com...

Some times people dig so deep for the truth they miss whats right on the surface.
edit on 4/9/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

pond470

It is fairly commonly used in combat, hence why the area they may be actively engaged is call the "theater". I have heard the term "actor" used in situations with military, SWAT and LEO a few times in the past.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Crossbows, and even a regular bow can kill from a distance...why don't these people ever complain about crossbows? this is why the entire argument is moronic, and disingenuous....they cherry pick only those points that make their argument look the strongest, while ignoring anything inconvenient..

Availability and lethality.

Contrary to the belief, this story is actually anti-gun, this shows the difference between the damage caused by a nut with a gun and a nut with a knife.

Any moron can go to a store and get a gun in a heat of frustration and unleash hell. Where as a knife wielding nut can only do so much(this story is a prefect example).

You cant change the people that are retarded, you have to control the inanimate object(be it cars, guns, knifes) and their availability.

Heck, there is a good amount of people that are against any type of check, they want gun to be given to anyone, no questions asked.

Today you can be a loving gun owning father, tomorrow you are a divorced, frustrated, drunk who went on a rampage at your wife's workplace.

When these lunatics use Crossbow, knife, baseball bat, or a car to mow down civilians over a gun, we will talk about putting restriction on the availability on Crossbow, knife, baseball bat, or a car.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Touche! Considering I am a huge word-nerd, who was raised by a cop, I am more than a bit disappointed in myself for not picking up on this. My tin foil hat must be on too tight this morning

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

luciddream

Any moron can go to a store and get a gun in a heat of frustration and unleash hell. Where as a knife wielding nut can only do so much(this story is a prefect example).

You cant change the people that are retarded, you have to control the inanimate object(be it cars, guns, knifes) and their availability.

Heck, there is a good amount of people that are against any type of check, they want gun to be given to anyone, no questions asked.

Today you can be a loving gun owning father, tomorrow you are a divorced, frustrated, drunk who went on a rampage at your wife's workplace.

Not everywhere...you have to get a background check for even mags and ammo here. Each time you buy a box!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

pond470

Touche! Considering I am a huge word-nerd, who was raised by a cop, I am more than a bit disappointed in myself for not picking up on this. My tin foil hat must be on too tight this morning

That is what the media is good for, getting you hyped up so you miss the plain truth in front of you.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Any moron can go to a store and get a gun in a heat of frustration and unleash hell.

Not completely accurate.
Any moron can go to a store that holds a Federal Firearms License(not just any store) and fill out the necessary paperwork. If the Federal Government says that they are clear to purchase a firearm, then they can purchase a gun, at the discretion of the store owner.
Firearms are, contrary to the believe of many people, regulated by Federal, state and local governments.

ETA: I see shaneslaughtta beat me to the answer.

edit on b000000302014-04-09T09:31:19-05:0009America/ChicagoWed, 09 Apr 2014 09:31:19 -0500900000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by Daedalus

Crossbows, and even a regular bow can kill from a distance...why don't these people ever complain about crossbows? this is why the entire argument is moronic, and disingenuous....they cherry pick only those points that make their argument look the strongest, while ignoring anything inconvenient..

When these lunatics use Crossbow, knife, baseball bat, or a car to mow down civilians over a gun, we will talk about putting restriction on the availability on Crossbow, knife, baseball bat, or a car.

They do, and even planes and homemade bombs and whatever else. Just do a search for ANY of those, replace baseball bat with "blunt object" and you will find plenty on all of them. As a matter of fact, blunt objects, personal weapons (Hands, feet, etc) and knives accounted for more deaths than shotguns AND rifles in the US.

Per the FBI from 2011....latest I could find.

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join