The start of internet censorship?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So I was doing a search today and noticed something I usually don't see. Google had certain links blocks. A lot of links blocked as a matter of fact. So is this the start where websites start being blocked and we only get information the US government wants us to see? This is the first time I have noticed this and was wondering how many other people noticed it. My bet is by the end of this year or sometime early next year most information they don't want us to see will be blocked (they already block a lot). Anyhow thoughts comments?

Added- I wanted to add this was just a quick search for Movies to show how many links are blocked however it comes up in other searches as well.

edit on 8-4-2014 by LightSource because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSource

Google removes links to stuff that is copyrighted if the owner (or their representative or their computer program) submits a DMCA violation notice. The original poster can then file a counterclaim and if it is valid they will be re-indexed.

This has been going on for years (but I can not say how many).

EDIT: I believe if Google were to ignore the DMCA claim they can lose their safe-harbor provisions and could be held liable for copyright violation.
edit on 8-4-2014 by Elton because: added safe harbor info

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is actually an example of what happens when big business gets to run your Government on your behalf.

You may notice throughout the world that COPYRIGHT really only applies to big business.

Any musicians out there, go ring the FBI and complain about your own music being used by a big company and see how far you get.

In the big boys club, big business will protect Big business.

Invent something groundbreaking and watch how fast it is taken away from you under 'National Interest' without, mind you, any payment. Only the big boys really get to own stuff.

P
edit on 8/4/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Elton

Google removes links to stuff that is copyrighted if the owner (or their representative or their computer program) submits a DMCA violation notice. The original poster can then file a counterclaim and if it is valid they will be re-indexed.

This has been going on for years (but I can not say how many).

EDIT: I believe if Google were to ignore the DMCA claim they can lose their safe-harbor provisions and could be held liable for copyright violation.
edit on 8-4-2014 by Elton because: added safe harbor info

This is the first time I have noticed almost a page being blocked like that (and a few pages were like that). Who is to say they (the government) don't use this to just block websites they don't want us to see? I mean you see how well the manage the NSA I'm sure they are not any better with stuff like this. All they have to do is slap a label on it and say it was some copyright infringement or something.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I used to look at the DMCA complaints because they had the links to the juicy content that was de-indexed, I doubt that they still do...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Elton

I used to look at the DMCA complaints because they had the links to the juicy content that was de-indexed, I doubt that they still do...

Ya here is what they put for the "statement". No real description of why just blocked. "Good faith" eh?

www.chillingeffects.org...

SWORN STATEMENTS

I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
[checked]

The information in this notification is accurate, and I swear, under penalty of perjury, that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
[checked]

SIGNATURE
Signed on this date of:
03/03/2014

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
there are programs that search out copyright infringement.
here is a link for Google/Youtube Content ID page.
How Content ID works

and this page gives just a little bit of a explanation why google might block a site.
Site removed from the Google index

and here is a free program to use to find sites that use your content.
Copyscape Plagiarism Checker - Duplicate Content Detection Software

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I had posted a few vids of my band (years ago) and they kept getting removed (youtube) for copyright violation and I wrote the damn songs... So I agree that it's quite a frustrating system.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie
there are programs that search out copyright infringement.
here is a link for Google/Youtube Content ID page.
How Content ID works

and this page gives just a little bit of a explanation why google might block a site.
Site removed from the Google index

and here is a free program to use to find sites that use your content.
Copyscape Plagiarism Checker - Duplicate Content Detection Software

Thanks for the info hounddoghowlie! I'm more wondering if they would just use this to block sites they just didn't want us to see for whatever reason they felt fit. Looking at the "why" they were blocked doesn't seem to give info as to why. I'm also sure most people don't check the "why" they just go oh something is blocked.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Elton

I had posted a few vids of my band (years ago) and they kept getting removed (youtube) for copyright violation and I wrote the damn songs... So I agree that it's quite a frustrating system.

Ya sorry to hear that I'm that would be very frustrating!

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Big government is well...big government and many have asked for it,,,,from p[protect me from terrorist.....protect my plane....to make the big bad insurance companies give me insurance for free...facts are however that some over site is needed....theft is theft whether its from a small Mom and Pop are from Wallyworld.

I don't know of any cases where the FBI has enforced the copyright laws for big business ( I could be wrong but you provided no sources for your claims) unless it was someone selling counterfeit merchandise and then they are protecting consumers.

What we are seeing is a result of people downloading movies...software...songs without paying for them and yes the "censorship " is going to get worse as people continue to steal...eventually its going to result in internet providers charging larger fees and a fee for each web page looked at (bandwidth) as they will be forced to pay artist and writers for all the illegal downloads going on around the world...especially now that Mr. Obama has relinquished control to what I eventually see as a UN committee who will tax it to death and charge more to line their pockets.

But make no mistake...this has nothing to do with the FBI....but everything to do with lawyers as they are the ones that make the laws and the ones to enforce the laws....the FBI has nothing to do with civil matters...all it takes is a letter from a lawyer to cease and desist...which the internet is about to do...cease and desist as we know it all because a few people want something for free.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

DJMSN
reply to post by pheonix358

Big government is well...big government and many have asked for it,,,,from p[protect me from terrorist.....protect my plane....to make the big bad insurance companies give me insurance for free...facts are however that some over site is needed....theft is theft whether its from a small Mom and Pop are from Wallyworld.

I don't know of any cases where the FBI has enforced the copyright laws for big business ( I could be wrong but you provided no sources for your claims) unless it was someone selling counterfeit merchandise and then they are protecting consumers.

What we are seeing is a result of people downloading movies...software...songs without paying for them and yes the "censorship " is going to get worse as people continue to steal...eventually its going to result in internet providers charging larger fees and a fee for each web page looked at (bandwidth) as they will be forced to pay artist and writers for all the illegal downloads going on around the world...especially now that Mr. Obama has relinquished control to what I eventually see as a UN committee who will tax it to death and charge more to line their pockets.

But make no mistake...this has nothing to do with the FBI....but everything to do with lawyers as they are the ones that make the laws and the ones to enforce the laws....the FBI has nothing to do with civil matters...all it takes is a letter from a lawyer to cease and desist...which the internet is about to do...cease and desist as we know it all because a few people want something for free.

Don't get me wrong DJMSN I get what you are saying. My thought is however that the government will use this as a information censorship rather than the illegal downloading aspect of it. How easy would it be for the government to get some websites blocked and put some "copyright" garbage to block them.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Google has been doing that for a while. However, they actually provide you the links that were removed if you click on the complaint.

However, internet censorship has been going down for a while in the background.

The Reason:
1. Oligopoly industries and lobbyist don't like consumers that question things or that start to think for themselves or that challenge what they have been programed with.

You see prior to the internet Corporations and lobbyist loved tv , radio and paper as a form of medium to get to the masses of consumers. It was basically a one way communication where they told you what you should think. Live tv and radio was easily scripted and controlled, paper was fully controlled so they marketed and directed the consumers with ease.

You saw the power of the MSM when they conned the tax payers to bailout private large lobbying business. I think I heard everyone of my friends and family regurgitate what the news were saying. They are to big to fail.

The Problem:
2. The internet allowed the masses of people to freely discuss topics and debate from all parts to the world. This caused people to question the views formed by the MSM marketing think tanks. The internet also allowed for people to come together who would normally never would have.
Unity and organized critical thinking is a corrupt gov't worst nightmare.

So SOPA and PIPA and other POOPA laws were drafted to take back control of the medium they had little control off.

3. The Nail that will fully close the coffin on internet free speech and fully implement censorship to give them back full control.

Undoing Net neutrality. If your website is not part of the APPROVED list or you cant pay to be one of the guys they will have the legal right to de prioritize your traffic. The mass public will have no patience for a slow slow website to load regardless of content , when they can get all their latest Hollywood gossip at full throttle blazing speeds.

I see the undoing of net neutrality to take back control of what the consumers access on line without making it to obvious for the masses.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Seen that thing long time ago ,I don't use google to search torrent files.You can go to thepiratebay directly.Google is a company ,if you paid enough money ,they can block any result of search for you.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

interupt42

Google has been doing that for a while. However, they actually provide you the links that were removed if you click on the complaint.

However, internet censorship has been going down for a while in the background.

The Reason:
1. Oligopoly industries and lobbyist don't like consumers that question things or that start to think for themselves or that challenge what they have been programed with.

You see prior to the internet Corporations and lobbyist loved tv , radio and paper as a form of medium to get to the masses of consumers. It was basically a one way communication where they told you what you should think. Live tv and radio was easily scripted and controlled, paper was fully controlled so they marketed and directed the consumers with ease.

You saw the power of the MSM when they conned the tax payers to bailout private large lobbying business. I think I heard everyone of my friends and family regurgitate what the news were saying. They are to big to fail.

The Problem:
2. The internet allowed the masses of people to freely discuss topics and debate from all parts to the world. This caused people to question the views formed by the MSM marketing think tanks. The internet also allowed for people to come together who would normally never would have.
Unity and organized critical thinking is a corrupt gov't worst nightmare.

So SOPA and PIPA and other POOPA laws were drafted to take back control of the medium they had little control off.

3. The Nail that will fully close the coffin on internet free speech and fully implement censorship to give them back full control.

Undoing Net neutrality. If your website is not part of the APPROVED list or you cant pay to be one of the guys they will have the legal right to de prioritize your traffic. The mass public will have no patience for a slow slow website to load regardless of content , when they can get all their latest Hollywood gossip at full throttle blazing speeds.

I see the undoing of net neutrality to take back control of what the consumers access on line without making it to obvious for the masses.

Yes I agree that they will not look obvious to the masses. I also feel that slowing blocking sites (like google is) is a very safe way for them to start. Its all about people getting "comfortable" with the same old same old. For example if you drive the same way to work and then one day you stick a new building in there you will notice. However after awhile that building will become normal just like the links blocked on google. After awhile people will not even think twice about seeing blocked links and they can block whatever they want.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Don't forget about all the recent NSA spying revelations and Snowden. I wonder if those were leaks or methods of desensitizing the masses.

Man I hope Aliens never come because humanity would make and easy herd to round up.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

interupt42

Don't forget about all the recent NSA spying revelations and Snowden. I wonder if those were leaks or methods of desensitizing the masses.

Man I hope Aliens never come because humanity would make and easy herd to round up.

Very true Snowden could just be a desensitizing method or could have been to see how "mad" the public would become with the government. Not much has come about it so maybe that gives them the green light to continue as planned.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

It is not only on the Internet. Movies, books, TV series are disappearing as well. Further more the monopolizeation of restricted TV shows is starting to take place in order to force people into certain directions.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Abavs

It is not only on the Internet. Movies, books, TV series are disappearing as well. Further more the monopolizeation of restricted TV shows is starting to take place in order to force people into certain directions.

Very true. It seems like the only shows on is either stuff like dancing with the stars to numb everyone or detective shows like CSI.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Google is hiding more of the internet each day and manipulate how people now see the world, it's a very powerful propaganda tool to have.

Don't comply with Google demands on your web-site and include the ga.js spyware script and you will never make it to the front pages and what makes this even worse its that Google is now working with Twitter and Facebook to remove any comments from people that point this out.

Yes I am sure if I really look I can find some comments on Google where someone says XYZ bad about Twitter but 99% are being hidden and its just that Google tries to not make it 100% obvious. Twitter for their part block/hide any bad tweets about Google and if you say more than the odd bad comment about Google on Twitter then the only person who can see your tweets is you.

This monopoly has got to be broken up and sites should display a certificate to say they are Google free and start being more concerned about members privacy than SEO myths and Google ranking.

Google "Do no evil" yes if only.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join