It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crib Mattresses Emit High Rates of Potentially Harmful Chemicals, Cockrell School Engineers Find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
From utexas.edu

AUSTIN, Texas — In a first-of-its-kind study, a team of environmental engineers from the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin found that infants are exposed to high levels of chemical emissions from crib mattresses while they sleep.

Analyzing the foam padding in crib mattresses, the team found that the mattresses release significant amounts of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), potentially harmful chemicals also found in household items such as cleaners and scented sprays.

The researchers found:
    *New crib mattresses release about four times as many VOCs as old crib mattresses.
    *Body heat increases emissions.
    *Chemical emissions are strongest in the sleeping infant’s immediate breathing zone.

The researchers concluded that, on average, mattresses emitted VOCs at a rate of 87.1 micrograms per square meter per hour, while older mattresses emitted VOCs at a rate of 22.1 micrograms per square meter per hour. Overall, Boor said crib mattresses release VOCs at rates comparable to other consumer products and indoor materials, including laminate flooring (20 to 35 micrograms per square meter per hour) and wall covering (51 micrograms per square meter per hour).

Boor became motivated to conduct the study after finding out that infants spend 50 to 60 percent of their day sleeping. Infants are considered highly susceptible to the adverse health effects of exposure to indoor air pollutants.

So your mass produced crib mattress may be bad for your baby. Sometimes progress really isn't I suppose...

The researchers identified more than 30 VOCs in the mattresses, including phenol, neodecanoic acid and linalool. The most abundant chemicals identified in the crib mattress foam, such as limonene (a chemical that gives products a lemon scent), are routinely found in many cleaning and consumer products.

Chemist and indoor air quality expert Charles J. Weschler, adjunct professor in environmental and occupational medicine at Rutgers University, said he does not think the levels of chemical concentration found in the mattresses are alarming, but he considers the research valuable.

Thankfully an expert does not think that exposure to the chemicals is dangerous, but phenol is not really good for you.

Anyway I figure you fellow ATS folks would want to know of this study (especially if you have an infant).

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

Our food is poisoned. Our water is poisoned. Our air is poisoned. Our medicine is poisoned. They impregnate children's toys with unneeded mildewcides.

Why in hell would anyone be surprised that they'd poison babies' cribs?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well if it's not made with straw or feathers, it's gonna give off a chemical of some sort. But his parents are gonna paint the room and install new carpet, more chemicals. Then we don't even want to look at the concoction of chemicals Monsanto is gonna inject into the food he eats. Finally the kid will be old enough to drive. maybe he'll graduate with the promise of a brand new car....More chemicals snorted while driving and making love in the back seat. The crib is just a starting point to what the child will suck up over a lifetime in this day and age. Could be a she also. Being born just ain't safe anymore!
edit on 8-4-2014 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Apparently VOCs may not be just for kids, either. Stuffs in those comfy mattress toppers that are so popular too:

Can Your Mattress Kill You?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Sure they can identify radiation being emitted from mattresses but can't fix the buggy code for qwest homework . . .

It seems like everything being produced these days has greater levels of EM radiation than mankind has ever experienced over prolonged periods of time.

-FBB

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Geez....

I wonder if this contributes to all the "sudden infant death syndrome" tragedies?

And I agree with the poster above, everything is poisoned and it's freakin insane and ridiculous.

Man, babies crib mattresses should be made out of the safest material imaginable!

You would think that would have been covered, I mean it's an infant! The most precious thing imaginable.

I know TPBT don't give a $h!t, and it's all about profit, but seriously this is just insane.

edit on 8-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Editing

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Crib mattresses stunk like chemicals almost thirty years ago. I think they have always been a problem myself. I remember the smell when my daughter was a baby, the same new crib mattress smell seemed to actually get worse with time, not better.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

What can those chemical fumes do to a developing brain of an infant I wonder.

I would like to see a study or survey in conjunction with autism. Correlation isn't causation however I think it is worth looking into as a contributing factor.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Oh geez cest la vie living in a modern world. What do you propose as a solution? Making a bed out of feathers and straw? There are chemicals all around us and in everything. I'm sure the clothes we wear aka nylons, polyester, etc release harmful chemicals. Shall we all walk around naked? I highly doubt autism has anything to do with crib mattresses nor does SIDS! Geez! Some of you act like the human body is a fragile flower just waiting for the wind to swoosh it away into a million pieces.
edit on 8-4-2014 by GreenMtnBoys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I am no fan of any air-fresheners unless I know what is in the fresheners…

volatile organic compounds (VOCs), potentially harmful chemicals also found in household items such as cleaners and scented sprays. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The ones advertised on TV freak me out, although I suspect their man effect will only be to increase the accelerate the pace at which you wrinkle & age with time, as it is naturally produced “free-radicals” (produced by ultraviolet light splitting oxygen O2 into O1, and low level ozone O3) that is one of the biggest causes of normal aging. These and other “free radicals” get breathed in with normal air, and then get dissolved into your blood, before very randomly and spontaneously reacting with your body, and it is this that over decades is one of the biggest causes of wrinkling.
I imagine it’s quite evident most factory produced, home scenting chemicals, will be loaded with chemicals that when breathed randomly react with your body.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

NthOther
Apparently VOCs may not be just for kids, either. Stuffs in those comfy mattress toppers that are so popular too:

Can Your Mattress Kill You?

I will die happily on my medium strength king sized pillow topped posture protected super duper mattress then!

I have a crib just newly set up for my son next to me now - although we are using my daughters cot mattress, should I feel bad she got the fresh batch of poison and he's getting less? Can't turn back time I guess
. But like someone pointed out, painting the nursery, half the plastic crap they stick in their mouth as teething littles, well - basically EVERYTHING they stick in their mouth isn't good for them. It's only another one to add to the list, unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

We bought a mattress for our daughter from IKEA in Dec - had to leave it out to 'air' for a good week to get the smell of the plastic out of it! Same with the initial cot mattress mentioned in my previous post.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Thanks for the link, interesting read...

Theoretically, a fully reacted polyurethane polymer should be chemically inert. But any chemist will tell you that even fully reacted polyurethane can produce dust inducing mechanical irritation to the eyes and lungs. And, as there are no industrial processes 100 % complete, you should expect the polyurethane to expel its chemical load. Only the resin blends can expel isocyanates, which were proven to be skin and respiratory sensitizers, causing asthma. This is just a short list of toxins found in an analyzed type of memory foam: TDI (Toluene Di-Isocyanate), Polyol (Poly Ether Gycol), Silicone Surfactant, Tertiary Amine, Stannous Octoate, Flame Retardant, Pigments/Dyes. TDI is an aromatic hydrocarbon (it is really smelly) causing asthma. Tertiary amines have strong odors and are allergenic. No need to comment on the dyes...

Sounds like memory foam will remember to shorten my life...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenMtnBoys

In general, I agree with your statement about the "fear of chemicals" and the absolute parania that surrounds them. However, ther exception to the rule.

www.healthychild.com...

The theory is that fire-retardant chemicals combine with ordinary household fungi and produce hydrogen cyanide gas directly in the baby's breathing zone. This theory fits in well with the evidence of the "back to sleep" campaign". No one can think of any reason why putting a baby to sleep on their back has been so successful in reducing SIDS. However, it is undeniable that it works! If Sprott is correct, the reason it works is because the baby's mouth and nose is an inch or three above a layer of toxic gas formed when the fire-retardant chemicals react with the fungi.

This theory was supposedly tested by a commission in the UK. The lab tests found that some amount of gas was formed but judged that the concentration was "too low" to kill a baby. This evidence was opposed by a study done in germany, which did find that sufficient gas was formed.

I do not know the truth of this matter. However, there a millions of dead babies out there, that have died under mysterious circumstance. My nephew is one of them.

I don't think this theory can be dismissed out of hand. It shouldn't be exaggerated - but perhaps we really do need to look at the issue seriously.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Elton

What can those chemical fumes do to a developing brain of an infant I wonder.

I would like to see a study or survey in conjunction with autism. Correlation isn't causation however I think it is worth looking into as a contributing factor.

I have to agree, it is well worth studying. Exposing a developing body to those chemicals for long periods of time can not be healthy.

TiredofControlFreaks
This theory was supposedly tested by a commission in the UK. The lab tests found that some amount of gas was formed but judged that the concentration was "too low" to kill a baby. This evidence was opposed by a study done in germany, which did find that sufficient gas was formed.

I do not know the truth of this matter. However, there a millions of dead babies out there, that have died under mysterious circumstance. My nephew is one of them.

I don't think this theory can be dismissed out of hand. It shouldn't be exaggerated - but perhaps we really do need to look at the issue seriously.

I am so sorry to hear that, you have my sympathy.

It really seems like the kind of thing that we should be researching and I am glad to know that some are (as in the article and the German study you reference).

new topics

top topics

join