It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you get your meat?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Eh, most of ours comes from the market. It's not what we'd like. It's just what we have at the moment.

Nothing really replaces the taste of fresh which is preferable when you can get it.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I get my meat from moose, chickens..etc. fish from fishing and hunting myself... I trust my source.
100's of pounds of red salmon, moose, halibut for a years supply for myself, friend's, and close family. If I can help it, I only by spices an alcohol at the store

Myself, friends, and family put our kills on the tables or cutting boards, crack beers, kids play, listen to music and butcher ourselves. Why pay for it, when you can do-it-yourself

The store.. Pffttt.
edit on 8-4-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

Uhhmmm...Hi, I would like to become your friend.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Yeah, that goes for anything really, but I'm not too anxious to make a transition anytime soon. When I'm ready I'm sure my uncle will be glad to get me to try anything else he might hunt. Speaking of burgers I'm also apart of the 0.1% of Americans that hates hamburgers, I'm not a fan of beef. I'll only eat it in a couple Hispanic dishes like Pastelitos and Bistec Guisado.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I buy fresh, 1/2 beef from local butcher/locker pant.

Do you know sulphur (like used in match sticks) is used as a preservative in grocery store meat????

Cook, side by side fresh butcher meat and grocery store meat. Compare the amount AFTER cooking out the fat and water content (price per pound) AND taste the flavor difference.

I will NEVER buy from the grocery store again

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

deadcalm

Like you...I buy my meat from a local butcher...who is also the farmer that raises the cattle. We usually buy a half cow and a half pig at a time. This usually lasts my wife and I about 8-9 months.

We have to call 2 weeks in advance before we can pick it up....something to do with the pork having to hang for a certain amount of time I think. When I go to pick it up it is wrapped, and cut....and the bacon is maple smoked or honey flavoured...depending on what we decide when we order.

It costs us just under $1000 all in. I find the quality of the meat and the cuts are far superior to anything I could buy from a store and I know exactly where it comes from....plus it keeps my money local.

We also buy turkeys and chicken from him from time to time as well.

It's a great way to go if you can.

It does take a bit of planning...for sure.

You cannot just roll up to farm an ask for a whole side of beef...cut and wrapped.

It just likely will not happen.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

tinker9917

I buy fresh, 1/2 beef from local butcher/locker pant.

Do you know sulphur (like used in match sticks) is used as a preservative in grocery store meat????

Cook, side by side fresh butcher meat and grocery store meat. Compare the amount AFTER cooking out the fat and water content (price per pound) AND taste the flavor difference.

I will NEVER buy from the grocery store again

There is absolutely NO fair comparison between the two.

I am like you....I can NEVER eat meat from the grocery store....Ever...Again.

Buy as local as you possibly can.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hate to yell you this, but a majority of the chemicals that are in our meats are added long before the slaughter. Even "local" ranchers/farmers look at the bottom-line when it comes to yield and productivity. Chemicals increase growth rates and weight.

Just because you have a local butcher process the meat does not mean it isn't riddled with the chems you are trying to avoid.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Bloody bunch of dilletants if you ask me....
I eat whatever is available when hungry...from the store, butcher shop or wild....
Its not what you eat....but how you feel about it....
Fresh beef is always hung 14 or more days by the way.....
And the free range chickens are always stringy.....

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
Hate to yell you this, but a majority of the chemicals that are in our meats are added long before the slaughter. Even "local" ranchers/farmers look at the bottom-line when it comes to yield and productivity. Chemicals increase growth rates and weight.

Just because you have a local butcher process the meat does not mean it isn't riddled with the chems you are trying to avoid.

That is precisely why I say that if I didn't bleed it out or don't personally know the person who did, I'd rather not eat it.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I buy from a small family run organic grocer that only deals with local farmers and ranchers that ensure the animals are grass fed only, hormone and anti-biotic free and humanely killed.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

TNMockingbird
We mainly use supermarket meat. It is affordable for us and our number is 8. We do supplement with venison. Sometimes we mix it with the ground beef to stretch that choice a little and depending on what we are making, it can be more tasty to us with just venison for a dish that calls for red meat. or a mixture of venison and ground beef. WE enjoy all kinds of meat. I don't have any really picky eaters...I have had recently processed meat and supermarket and I think you can get "used" to either flavor. For us, the price is extremely important so, Krogers it is...

edit on 8-4-2014 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

Thats gross. I know, its just my squeamish. You wouldn't probably live under a bridge and dive dumpsters with me either.

The closet I will ever get to goats head soup.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I hunt and fish for the majority of my meats and what i cant hunt i get from the butcher.
I generally grow all my vegetables and what i don't grow i buy from the farmers market in town.
The only downside i have is not enough land to raise my own domestic meats but i guess you can't have it all.
one of you posted about getting unwanted parts like the offal and goat heads, I'll tell ya this, some of the best
food is in the guts. The heads, pretty tasty when you slow cook them like barbacoa style
edit on 4/8/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Don't forget about yummy "meat glue"

Terje took powder and dusted it liberally over the meat pieces. The coated stew meat then went into a circular tin to give it a nice, round filet mignon shape. He was also able to make a New York strip out of thin cuts of round steak. Adding water makes a soupy glaze, and an easier way to coat the meat.

The final steps were to seal the meat in a vacuum bag, adding some pressure to the bond, and then it was off to the fridge to set overnight.

Twenty-four hours later, the humble $4-a-pound stew meat now looks like a $25-a-pound prime filet.

Meat Glue with video
edit on 8-4-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

More Meat Glue poison
edit on 8-4-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I buy my beef from a farmer and have it butchered and wrapped at a local processing place. I like it aged, so mine hangs about two to three weeks.

Half our eggs come from local people and the other half come from the super market. Chickens are all commercial store bought. Pork is now commercial also, I don't have a local supplier anymore.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I know right? The best thing on a hunt for moose in the greater interior is the campsite after the kill.

Moose heart, bone marrow.

I have many ex's that blame me for their "fluffiness", but they lose most of it because a woman around me has to keep up with my outdoorsman lifestyle. Plus my fourwheeler can only hold so much weight.

And speaking of, I made moose burgers for the Fam tonight. Fresh halibut sandwiches for dinner tomrw.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

mwood

AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by deadcalm

I really do sometimes feel sorry for those in the city life.

But then again, some here may think its retarded an plain stupid to walk 15 miles to pack 1000lbs of meat between two guys, when one can spend money to drive to the store.

I'm not saying its right or wrong. That's just the difference between cultures and how hey buy or obtain food.
I'm also not saying that I don't buy bags of jerky (different than Alaskan meat) here and there at he store, love those things.

Just sharing my experience.

It's all in how you were raised and what you want in life. We have 3 grocery stores and a couple butchers in town but most my meat still comes from the woods...

Well, the woods are still better than fenced and boxed in animals. I watched a documentary on.... It was about chickens. I watched it for about 20 minutes, than turned it off. Disgusting.

My nieghbors have a few free roam chickens/ducks I get free eggs from, if the eagles, foxes, and lynxes don't keep eating them.

I've even eaten squirrel, but it takes 1/2 dozen for a meal

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Squirrel is a mighty fine meal

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
We have a little convenience store that has a butcher in the back, the only other choice in town is supermarkets, the butcher is well priced and the meat is pretty good. I've never asked how fresh/where it comes from. There is a place in a town about 15 minutes away where you can get fresh beef/pork and I go there when I want a special cut or something. There is nowhere in town to get lamb or duck or anything more exotic than beef, chicken, or pork. Though, Buffalo (leaner than beef) is available sometimes. There is an OK fish market, none is fresh though. It's frozen and shipped, still, better than Walmart if I'm making more than salmon filets or whatever.

And yes, the difference between fresher meat and Walmart meat is vast.
edit on 8-4-2014 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Squirrel is a mighty fine meal

Not bad when you need meat, but as last resort in the woods it can be a treat. Same with spruce hens, dumb as a rock. Although, easy to catch and the breast meat is succulent and enough to fill two guys up.

Squirrels can be a pain to get without a gun, but a spruce hen will sprint from you rather than fly and travel in groups. At least once a year I kill one or two by a rock or stick and throw right on the fire, a great meal!

The squirrels in AK are tiny, but I've heard that some other places they can get extremely large.

Another place to get good meat is up north in Barrow, AK. Caribou meat is awesome, so is beluga. This can be a big problem to those who do not eat local game as it can tear up one's insides, lol.

Beluga oil is a great med too when sick, I use it for cold and flus if I have any.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join