It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poultry pugilism? Political truth stranger than fiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think should be filed under "stupid in stereo"... Chicken boxing in open political debate:

Ever hear of "chicken boxing?" Didn't think so. Yet, when Louisiana state lawmakers sought Tuesday to sharpen language in the state's 2008 ban on cockfighting, an unexpected debate arose over poultry pugilism, with Sen. Elbert Guillory holding court for befuddled colleagues. Chicken boxing, the Republican explained, is a sport where the combatants don "gloves" instead of barbaric blades used in cockfights that end in the death of a chicken. Guillory wanted to make sure that laws aimed at ending cockfighting did not also ban what he considers a more humane version. "Leather spur covers and plastic spur covers, um, that are used in the legitimate sport of chicken boxing might be considered paraphernalia," Guillory reportedly told the chamber. "Wait, wait, wait ... chicken boxing?" Democratic state Sen. J.P. Morrell, sponsor of the new legislation, responded. "Yes, chicken boxing," Guillory said, according The Advocate of Baton Rouge reported.

Huh? Say again?

Sounds suspiciously akin to "cat juggling"...

Guillory then explained the distinction between cockfighting and chicken boxing, claiming the latter was not a blood sport and should not be illegal. "Just as dueling is a blood sport, two men fighting each other with swords is a blood sport that is illegal," Guillory reportedly said. "Similarly, two men with boxing gloves on can box each other as a sport that is legal. This is the same distinction between chicken boxing and cockfighting." One of Guillory's fellow legislators, Republican Sen. Robert Adley, was quick to express his confusion over the sport. "I would be very interested to find out how some chicken stands on two legs while it boxes," Adley said, according to the newspaper. "I understand how humans do it, but I’m trying to figure out how it happens with a chicken. That would be interesting to determine."

Not only is this idiotic, I think the taxpayers in Louisiana should get a refund for the salaries paid to these idiots while debating this. Americans wonder why the rest of the world thinks we are a bunch of idiots most of the time...

Utterly moronic.

MSM source

edit on 8-4-2014 by madmac5150 because: A chicken sucker punched me

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The article you linked links to another article: theadvocate.com

James Demoruelle, of Ville Platte, said he’s been a cockfighter for 53 years.

“God put the gameness in the chicken, not man,” Demoruelle said. “We don’t make them fight. You can’t make a gamecock fight if it doesn’t want to fight.”

He spoke out against the bill, saying it could easily make a felon out of someone like him who is a certified game fowl judge who also owns “probably a quarter million dollars” worth of cockfighting paraphernalia.

He later added that people should be free to use one’s property as they see fit — similar to cattle owners slaughtering cows for meat.

“I’m passionate about this,” Demoruelle told the committee. “Been doing it for 53 years. I wanted to retire and do it full-time. I enjoy the people that participate. They’re good people.”

They’re people in high finance, they’re judges, they’re district attorneys, they’re senators, they’re representatives.”

SB523 advanced on a 4-2 vote. It now heads to the full Senate for further consideration.

So I guess he's got a bird in this fight... (Oh god I am so sorry I wrote a pun, please forgive me)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

LOL nice

Cock fighting is huge in the Philippines, they even show it on television... seems like needless brutality for entertainment to me.

Can't be good for the karma... just sayin...

I wanna see some Brazilian crow-jitsu and emu judo fighting styles be allowed as well. Rooster MMA. It could be huge. Maybe Joe Rogan could host

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Just two things...

First, I double-dog-dare you to to do an un-age-restricted google video search
of the phrase "cock boxing" and see what you get.

Second, I am an avid cat-juggler and take offense that my favorite relaxing and
recreational past-time "cat-juggling" can even be compared to the highly unethical
and illegal "cock-boxing". Shame on the OP...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

I think I have seen you perform...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
And Jesus wept......................

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

I'm all for Bull Fighting and Cock Fighting.
I strongly oppose Dog fighting and well, Cat Juggling..(Love The Jerk!)
Dogs are not livestock, in almost all countries. They are pets that generally have a certain guaranteed quality of life..
Livestock animals do not. And the ones bred for fighting have a much higher quality of life.
There needs to be better laws in place concerning the ethical treatment of livestock in farms and slaughterhouses.. I cry fowl!!
Have you ever seen how Big poultry or Beef farms/slaughterhouses operate?? The days of small farm production methods for meat in the U.S. are quickly becoming extinct. I'm certain anyone would think twice about eating meat if they really knew how much torture and suffering went into their stomachs. It's really, really, REALLY awful!
People will stuff their faces with hamburgers or KFC and in between bites tell you how outraged they are that people fight roosters for sport. Or how awful Bull fighting is.. I find this level of thinking to be quite absurd!
Cock fighting and Bull fighting have been apart of many people's cultural heritages for hundreds if not thousands of years! They treat the animals with love and respect. Cocks naturally want to fight each other.
Cock fighting will always be a big sport in the South, no matter how many laws get past against it.
It's part of their heritage.
Chicken boxing to me sounds like a way for the Cock Fighter's to train their birds without drawing any unwanted attention. Local LE almost always will turn a blind eye.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyFlatulence

Slavery was a tradition in this country for a long time as well. Just because something is traditional doesn't mean that it's acceptable in modern society...

Granted, cockfighting and slavery aren't exactly the same, but you see my point...

I just wondered whether the legality of an imagined sport to cover for an illegal sport had any place in politics to begin with...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Granted, cockfighting and slavery aren't exactly the same, but you see my point...

No, not at all. Your point is totally invisible to me..
So let me try to feel around for it. You're comparing people breeding a livestock animal for sport to oppressing and owning human slaves?? (feels around some more.) Nope. Still invisible.

I just wondered whether the legality of an imagined sport to cover for an illegal sport had any place in politics to begin with...

That is a valid point.
I personally do not feel that cock fighting in any regard belongs in politics or law.

top topics

join