It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

While the United States continues to debate metadata collection conducted in secret by the National Security Agency, the European Union has been openly collecting the same sort of data for eight years.

In the wake of terrorist attacks in Madrid (2004) and London (2005), the European Union passed a directive in 2006 requiring that all telecommunications providers retain all kinds of telephone and Internet metadata for at least six months and provide it to law enforcement upon request.

According to a ruling handed down Tuesday by the European Court of Justice, that directive is now invalid.

EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

Take note, America. The so-called "land of the free" is getting shown up by the old world. Some European courts, at least, appear to not be corrupt, and understand the right to privacy and the ideals behind the fourth amendment better than the United States of Amerika.

It's time we the people got together and started demanding these kinds of results from our so-called "justice" system. Not until we force these criminals in office to respect our rights will they finally do so.

We the people are the foundation upon which these tyrants are attempting to build their new world order. They need our slave labor and our obedient compliance to keep tightening the noose around our throats. Not until we slough off the chains of fear-mongering oppression can we ever take back our country.

Europe is waking up and realizing the war on terror is a fraud, and freedom > security.

The time for the American Atlas to finally start shrugging is now.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In the 90's there was a HUGE blow up over Meta Data collection,

It was a big deal, many states inacted laws to protect the type of Metadata that was being collected.

I was genuinely surprised when this came up, and the outcry was almost muted...

In the 90's the FBI started collecting Meta data (in this case, Library records, Data, about data) a Librarian from Columbia refused.

She was the first whistleblower on Meta data, it cause MAJOR outcry from almost everyone at the time...

The thought at the time, was that ANY collection on what people are reading, would limit what they read from fear, it was censorship of the worst kind...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JonButtonIII

You might like to read this as well ...."The Obama regime, desperate that no individual and no country escape its spy net, denounced Western Europe’s intention to protect the privacy of its communications as “a violation of trade laws.”

Obama’s US Trade Representative, who has been negotiating secret “trade agreements” in Europe and Asia that give US corporations immunity to the laws of all countries that sign the agreements, has threatened WTO penalties if Europe’s communications network excludes the US companies that serve as spies for NSA. Washington in all its arrogance has told its most necessary allies that if you don’t let us spy on you, we will use WTO to penalize you.

So there you have it. The rest of the world now has the best possible reason to exit the WTO and to avoid the Trans-Pacific and Trans-Atlantic “trade agreements.” The agreements are not about trade. The purpose of these “trade agreements” is to establish the hegemony of Washington and US corporations over other countries." www.informationclearinghouse.info...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

But this was different. The EU arent actively collecting and listening. They are just telling service providers to keep data for 6 months so the police can request it for suspects if necessary. As far as we know they werent sneaking in the back door and stealing data.

Still intrusive but not as bad as the NSA/GCHQ goons. Still glad to see it go!
edit on 4724Tuesday242014-04-08T13:24:47-05:002447 4 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Silicis n Volvo

But this was different. The EU arent actively collecting and listening. They are just telling service providers to keep data for 6 months so the police can request it for suspects if necessary. As far as we know they werent sneaking in the back door and stealing data.

edit on 4724Tuesday242014-04-08T13:24:47-05:002447 4 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

Nothing like delving into the false paradigm of moral equivalency.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Much food for thought, I often wonder what my great grand children will have to put up with, its bad enough now, never thought I would type that I'm glad I wont be around when they reach my age, if they reach my age, that is.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

You might like to read this as well ...."The Obama regime, desperate that no individual and no country escape its spy net, denounced Western Europe’s intention to protect the privacy of its communications as “a violation of trade laws.”

Obama’s US Trade Representative, who has been negotiating secret “trade agreements” in Europe and Asia that give US corporations immunity to the laws of all countries that sign the agreements, has threatened WTO penalties if Europe’s communications network excludes the US companies that serve as spies for NSA. Washington in all its arrogance has told its most necessary allies that if you don’t let us spy on you, we will use WTO to penalize you.

So there you have it. The rest of the world now has the best possible reason to exit the WTO and to avoid the Trans-Pacific and Trans-Atlantic “trade agreements.” The agreements are not about trade. The purpose of these “trade agreements” is to establish the hegemony of Washington and US corporations over other countries." www.informationclearinghouse.info...

Everytime I read things like this, just confirms that America is NOT our ally anymore.

The sooner people in Europe (and other places) realise that the better, and indeed, it seems a lot of people are waking up to this fact.

America is no longer our friends.

Make no mistakes, it is not just this bit of news, there exists countless other incidents where we have had threats of COSTS (kinda like what they are doing to Russia and China now) for not toeing the American line.

Fine, I will take the penalty of costs rather than be aligned to the failing America starting to lash and kick out at everything and everybody that does not follow them.

I no longer watch TV per se, in fact I feel rejuvinated by NOT watching it for almost a decade, I don't link up my online accounts, for federated authentication, they simply force us underground. Fine, I don't mind. I just stopped buying American stuff (well, I never really started lol because they cannot make anything worth a damn anyway), and I stopped travelling to America.

I say isolate them.

edit on 8-4-2014 by strawburry because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

If you stand up and fight back, and help wake others up so they can do the same, it's quite possible your great-grandchildren could be living in a paradise of freedom and equality... you know, something like the United States was supposed to be.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Silicis n Volvo

GCHQ is British. I know that many Brits don't want to be part of the EU, but still they are. Just to get things right.
But the more important is the ruling of the European High Court. Even the German government doesn't like the decision. So I wonder how the UK will react to this.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Siddharta

Silicis n Volvo

GCHQ is British. I know that many Brits don't want to be part of the EU, but still they are. Just to get things right.
But the more important is the ruling of the European High Court. Even the German government doesn't like the decision. So I wonder how the UK will react to this.

GCHQ maybe on british soil but how many NSA/CIA/americans are on that base and which areas do the Brits NOT have access to?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by strawburry

What I wanted to say is that it does not matter how many British heads are stucking in US arses. From now on it is European law that it is illegal to store all that data within the EU. So it is for the GCHQ too.

It was a small step for the judges, but it is a big step for mankind.

edit on 8-4-2014 by Siddharta because: sort the letters

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Siddharta
reply to post by strawburry

What I wanted to say is that it does not matter how many British heads are stucking in US arses. From now on it is European law that it is illegal to store all that data within the EU. So it is for the GCHQ too.

It was a small step for the judges, but it is a big step for mankind.

edit on 8-4-2014 by Siddharta because: sort the letters

And no thanks go out to the Brits for this win, it was the Irish and Austrians that took on this fight.

It also was stated that they are going to draft ALTERNATIVE LAWS or fight this one. And Obama is also pushing via the WTO and other obscure Treaties to continue this data sharing.

So it really is only a win on paper, but not in reality.

Again, no thanks go to the Brits for this one bit, given that the UK has some of the most draconian anti-human rights and anti-privacy laws in the entire Europe.

edit on 8-4-2014 by strawburry because: (no reason given)

top topics

join