Obamacare -->> Sharpest health insurance premium increases in years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+13 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Obamacare is a failure. Clearly anyone refusing to see the damage done by this meddling in the healthcare insurance markets (bad as it was) are either willfully blind or simply unable to leave their political views out when making a rational determination of something right in front of them.

In this case obamacare is costing people more money as premiums sky-rocket. Thanks democrats for taking our already mediocre healthcare system and totally destroying it. Is your mission accomplished yet or are there a few things left you want to ruin?

Survey: US sees sharpest health insurance premium increases in years

Americans have recently been hit with some of the largest premium increases in years, according to a Morgan Stanley survey of insurance brokers.

The investment bank’s April survey of 148 brokers found that this quarter, the average premium increase for customers renewing an insurance plan is 12 percent in the small group market and 11 percent in the individual market, according to Forbes’ Scott Gottlieb.

The hikes — the largest in the past three years, according to Morgan Stanley’s quarterly reports — are “largely due to changes under the [Affordable Care Act],” analysts concluded. Rates have been growing increasingly fast throughout all of 2013, after a period of drops in 2012.

Well, 10-12% hike not so bad right? Quit sniveling and pay up, you'll get used to it. How bad could it be?

For the small group market, among the ten states seeing the biggest increases are:
    Washington 588%
    Pennsylvania 66%
    California 37%
    Indiana 34%
    Kentucky 30%
    Colorado 29%
    Michigan 27%
    Maryland 25%
    Missouri 25%
    Nevada 23%

Forbes: Health Plan Premiums Skyrocketing According To New Survey Of 148 Insurance Brokers

Obama and his democrat cronies will not be satisfied until they finally destroyed the mediocre US healthcare system that was. And they don't care who suffers while they do it.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

This is all part of the Technocrats plans.....and YES it includes BOTH Republicans and Democrats!

Not only does this so called Healthcare manage to raise prices, but it also is a massive tool for gathering information and allowing them to control even more of our money! The Republicans acting like they are against this plan is nothing more than a dog and pony show for those whom still believe our two party system represents our Republic....

In this case, it was the Democrats whom put the gun to the United States head.

It is easy to see! Especially if you do some research on the TRI-LATERAL COMMISSION........

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Maybe so but in this case the financial WMD called obamacare is covered in democrat fingerprints. They are guilty and should suffer the consequences in the mid-terms and 2016.

I won't blame republicans for this fiasco. They have enough dirt of their own on other things.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Bassago

Maybe so but in this case the financial WMD called obamacare is covered in democrat fingerprints. They are guilty and should suffer the consequences in the mid-terms and 2016.

I won't blame republicans for this fiasco. They have enough dirt of their own on other things.

I agree! It was their turn to do the bidding of the Tri Lateral Commission......

Don't worry though, the Republicans will given the next bullet to put into the head of the Republic......

Did you notice "Slick Willy" sitting with Bush at the NCAA game???

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Wow only 34% here in hoosierville..
yeah that's affordable. Well I better get back to work, gonna need the money..

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Oh yeah I saw them.

Guess the democrats won the coin-toss of destruction when it came to finishing off US healthcare.

Hmm, half an hour and nothing from the leftwing progressive income redistribution crowd. Maybe they didn't think facts were allowed in the new forum.

*Crickets* from the obamacare supporters. Go figure.

edit on 726am3636am112014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Woo hoo! Mission accomplished. Wasn't that the whole point of Obamacare, more profit for the insurance companies?

And it's not just Obamacare.

Anytime government gets involved say via subsidies, it always distorts the market.

Housing, education, health care etc., take your pick.

Prices sky rocket causing bubbles and services decline.

As a medical doctor, Ron Paul has spoken at length about medical care in America prior to Medicare and Medicaid.

Healthcare was cheap and the quality was excellent. There was never a need to turn away the uninsured, it wasnt that costly...

Once government got involved, the end user (the insurance company, hospital, doctor etc.) was guaranteed payment. They no longer had a reason to cut costs or provide quality service.

People argue that the free market doesnt work with an issue like health care because the corporations are driven by profit. This was never an issue prior to government intervention because the cost was so low.

Obamacare is beyond subsidies, it FORCES a person to buy a service...

As many have pointed out, this was a backhanded bailout for the insurance companies.

Think about the Wall St./banker bailouts. The government or Fed simply gave away (or "loaned") tax payer money. With Obamacare, they just cut out the middle man. In addition to "giving" our money to government for redistribution, we are also being forced to give it directly to the banks or in this case, the insurance companies.

edit on 8-4-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

There will come a time when Republicans control the White House and Congress, and they will come up with some BS excuse for not repealing Obamacare. Then you can blame the Republicans.

I believe that Republicans were "allowed" to oppose Obamacare because they were the minority party. Since most Americans were, and still are, opposed to the Obamacare mandate, it had to look like someone in Congress was representing the will of the people. Conservatives had a 5-4 majority in the Supreme Court, so they only had to feed the swing vote one bogus excuse to declare it Constitutional.

I maintain both sides are to blame. If Republicans manage to get the mandate repealed, I'll gladly eat my words.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Bassago

Than your just as much part of the problem as the Dems.

Obamacare was a showcase of government incompetence.

On all sides.

It was a failure of our representative government on a massive scale.

One that even the REPS enjoy,

We have created a system where both parties actively seek the destruction of the other, as a sort of play acting to get into office.

Our political system has turned in the Professional Wrestling, its all fake, and its all to our determent.

"I won't blame republicans"...

GO team, F-up the country even more.

STOP fighting FOR them, they hate you, both parties.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

There will come a time when Republicans control the White House and Congress, and they will come up with some BS excuse for not repealing Obamacare. Then you can blame the Republicans.

Oh I will but suspect you are correct, they'll find an excuse to keep it. If the republicans take the house and senate in the mid-terms and do not start immediate impeachment proceeding of Obama and Eric Holder I'll have to vent even more.

Actually I still blame the republicans for GW Bush and the beginning of the end of America.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
the whole hill is bought and paid for. if you thing there is a Left vs Right, your kidding yourself. forcing everyone to buy insurance = $$$$ to insurance companies who pass it down to the congress.

If I could force you by law to buy goods and services, id be sure to purchase as much stock in the companies before its implemented.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

In this case the fiasco is completely on the democrats. I simply picked up the shoe and it fit them so they own it.

As I said republicans have more than enough blame on their shoulders to last a lifetime. Of course both parties are against us and only care about their own power base but I'll not blame someone for a specific crime when they didn't commit it.

In this case it's the democrats (and the Supreme Court) who need to be held accountable.

This is the "Mud-Pit" forum after all.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

The survey found that premium increases are due to several specific Obamacare policies. The most talked about may be the new benefits all insurance plans are required to offer and excise taxes targeted at insurers themselves, Forbes reports. But there are two other big contributors to the rise in costs. Age restrictions on premiums prevent the insurer from charging older customers who cost more to cover a higher premium — hiking the costs for young and healthy people disproportionately. Commercial underwriting restrictions also bump up insurers’ costs and are reflected in premiums Read more: dailycaller.com...

There is no correlation between the cost of US health care and the satisfaction with the value provided. Premium increases are largely determined by opaque, proprietary actuarial tables and basically pushed to whatever the market will bear. Do you trust corporate insurance companies to deal fairly with sick people? It's possible that you don't care but I don't know that. If you don't trust the corporates, you are joined by a vast majority of citizens of the world and a vast majority of western nations that have abandoned the health for profit model.

Tactically, it might seem expedient to join the corporate directed, anti-regulation circle twerk, but any serious discussion about the foundation of health care should address the root causes of the US dysfunction, corporate predation. ACA doesn't seem to have put much of a dent in that. Trying to improve a difficult situation is inherently more risky and takes more character than doing nothing. I'll have to accept my own bias on that. Throwing "mud" on anonymous forums doesn't seem very risky.
You may be able to change my opinion on that point.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Whoa, a little confirmation bias going on. Three of those states were amongst the cheapest states in the union to purchase individual plans before the health care reform and PA wasn't far behind. So my theory is, there is a general price below which you cannot offer realistically beneficial services. I actually want full socialized medicine and do not like the reform for handing out checks to the insurance companies. But what these states were doing is offering really crappy plans that covered very little and had huge deductibles. So yeah, their prices had to go up ALOT to offer services with realistic deductibles. It's like handing out car insurance with a deductible of 100,000 dollars or a deductible of 10$ but it only covers things such as moon rocks hitting it.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by benrl

In this case the fiasco is completely on the democrats. I simply picked up the shoe and it fit them so they own it.

As I said republicans have more than enough blame on their shoulders to last a lifetime. Of course both parties are against us and only care about their own power base but I'll not blame someone for a specific crime when they didn't commit it.

In this case it's the democrats (and the Supreme Court) who need to be held accountable.

This is the "Mud-Pit" forum after all.

Heres the thing, the Reps did commit a crime in this.

They could of came to the table, with the will to negotiate.

So could the democrats.

Our nation is built on open discourse and debate, the whole purpose of the senate is to debate the laws so that IF they get passed, any detrimental effect of the law would of been discussed and fixed.

THE MOMENT our Representatives refuse compromise, and debate, they all need to be out on their asses.

We witnessed the systemic failure of our government with Obamacare, Both parties, all branches.

All comes down to the death of compromise that comes from a Two party system,

Judicial, legislative, and Executive, all failed us.

Why? Because we like our sports teams.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

There is no correlation between the cost of US health care and the satisfaction with the value provided. Premium increases are largely determined by opaque, proprietary actuarial tables and basically pushed to whatever the market will bear. Do you trust corporate insurance companies to deal fairly with sick people? It's possible that you don't care but I don't know that. If you don't trust the corporates, you are joined by a vast majority of citizens of the world and a vast majority of western nations that have abandoned the health for profit model.

Tactically, it might seem expedient to join the corporate directed, anti-regulation circle twerk, but any serious discussion about the foundation of health care should address the root causes of the US dysfunction, corporate predation. ACA doesn't seem to have put much of a dent in that. Trying to improve a difficult situation is inherently more risky and takes more character than doing nothing. I'll have to accept my own bias on that. Throwing "mud" on anonymous forums doesn't seem very risky.
You may be able to change my opinion on that point.

^^^ This ^^^^ That, my friends, is the most intelligent and logical statement on any ACA thread in the past several years. The continued downfall and failure of the American health system can be directly attributed to corporate greed within the for profit health insurance industry. Who suffers when the stockholder is more important than the patient? The patient. Every.Single.Time.

The ACA doesn't adequately address the problems with for profit health insurance, but it is something to build upon. As for the rise in premiums, who was to blame every year prior to the ACA when premiums went up? Although I suspect most policies didn't go up much. My BCBS family plan increased about eight dollars a month.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Tactically, it might seem expedient to join the corporate directed, anti-regulation circle twerk, but any serious discussion about the foundation of health care should address the root causes of the US dysfunction, corporate predation. ACA doesn't seem to have put much of a dent in that. Trying to improve a difficult situation is inherently more risky and takes more character than doing nothing. I'll have to accept my own bias on that. Throwing "mud" on anonymous forums doesn't seem very risky. You may be able to change my opinion on that point.

Cost vs. Satisfaction may or may not be measurable in all cases. If you're poor it's probably going to have a bigger impact. In this case all the wonderful lies fed to Americans about obamacare not raising costs a single penny or you can keep your doctor, etc played right into the hands of the insurance companies. While they don't care who foots the bill I do and it seems that many more folks are going to have their claims rejected.

Difficult problem, yes. Maybe they should have tried really fixing it instead of break a partially dysfunctional system completely down, instead of listening to lobbyists. They could have gone the Canadian or UK route and caused less damage.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

So could the democrats.

Our nation is built on open discourse and debate, the whole purpose of the senate is to debate the laws so that IF they get passed, any detrimental effect of the law would of been discussed and fixed.

I get where you're coming from with this. If we carry this logic out to it's ultimate conclusion we can blame each and every person who voted for these congressmen and senators as well people who did not vote and allowed them into power. Basically that's us and maybe that's where the ultimate failure lies. With a population that keeps voting these corrupt politicians back into office.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by benrl

So could the democrats.

I get where you're coming from with this. If we carry this logic out to it's ultimate conclusion we can blame each and every person who voted for these congressmen and senators as well people who did not vote and allowed them into power. Basically that's us and maybe that's where the ultimate failure lies. With a population that keeps voting these corrupt politicians back into office.

Ahhhhhh, now you see, this is where we can get into how rigged the game is!?

Look at how the SCOTUS has allowed Corporations to be "people"! YET!!!! When do we EVER see a corporation as a "person" get locked up in a prison as a ordinary citizens face happening on a daily basis?

Want to run for congress? No problem Sir/Mam, for our party to support you in your run, you will need a minimum of 250k and that is just to get you started!

Now we have a political system that is based upon returning favors to those whom were wealthy enough to support you! Where does serving the serfs whom elected you EVER come into play, when as soon as you are elected, your first goal is to return the favors to those whom contributed monetarily to help your campaign and your second goal is to get re elected????

Politics have become nothing more than a game of repaying the loansharks (wealthy) for the loans they already gave you versus favors, AND THEN, kissing their ass enough to lend you MORE MONEY, so that you can run again!!!

With this kind of system, just how do "WE THE PEOPLE" EVER get any Representative form of government?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SlimBoom

This. My premium increased but it was about 20% LESS than the increases that happened in the last 10 years, AND there are some things covered now that were not before. If you're just going to compare the prices then you have nothing. Compare the services you're getting along with it and you might be able to form an argument if there's a huge discrepancy.

I'm not saying I fully agree with what's happening with the ACA, but if you're going to talk trash about it then at least put up some meaningful facts. Show people WHY it's bad other than hiding the possibility that the cost increase *may* be justified in some way, instead shouting "Obamacare is bad because socialism!"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join