It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing accelerates C-17 line closure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Boeing has announced that they have moved the C-17 line closure at Long Beach up approximately 3 months. That will place it in mid-2015 now. The decision was based on the timing of current orders, and market trends.

A total of 260 C-17s have been delivered, with 12 on the line under assembly. Six of those have no current buyer, with the other six being options for India. The US has 223 (224 delivered, one lost in an accident), Australia 6, Canada 4, India 10, Kuwait 2, Qatar 4, UAE 6, UK 10, a NATO coalition has 3. One is destined for an undisclosed customer.

Boeing has announced it will end production of its C-17 strategic transport about three months earlier than anticipated.

The company announced last September that it was closing the Long Beach, California production line in late 2015. This has now been brought forward to mid-2015, “based on current market trends and the timing of expected orders”, Boeing says.

The manufacturer expects the termination to generate inventory-related charges of approximately $50 million, which will be recorded in the first quarter, as a result of bringing forward the closure date.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That's a shame. When I lived in NJ I wasn't too far from McGuire AFB and used to see them fly over my house all the time.
Is there a future replacement on the drawing board?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

Not currently. The C-17s in the fleet will fly for several more decades (there's no firm retirement date for them yet). They still have a lot of life in them.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

That's good! Because I love seeing them fly out of Charleston AFB. they're a real sight to see, and it's also reassuring knowing we can deliver a can of Whoop-A anywhere those can fly.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

It says a lot about an aircraft (that isn't a stealth) that suffers enough damage to require 9 months of repairs on site, just to be able to fly back to the factory, to undergo 22 months of repairs, but will fly again in the fleet.

www.boeing.com...
www.boeing.com...

Notice under the cockpit, around the nose gear in this image.
www.boeing.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Nice bit of info there thanks Zaph .. Not that I can do much with it apart from lodge it in the back of my brain. The c-17 is one of my favourite air lifters I do enjoy seeing the short little dumpy fat b******

Will be a shame when the time comes that these will no longer fly but as you said plenty of time yet. You mentioned one c-17 is going to an undisclosed customer. Any clues or guesses what this one may be for ?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

A couple of Middle Eastern nations have expressed interest in acquiring another aircraft or two. A lot of people have found just how convenient it is to have a large airlifter handy.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I need to win myself the lottery and get one before the production line closes. This might seen a little silly to ask but I remember a thread on here about Air Force one wanting to be replaced. What reasons would be against having a c-17 as Air Force one. Just simply not enough room ? Hmm I actually think I bought this up in the Air Force one thread

Edit: just read the thread for Air Force one replacement. You answered my question there aim ignore this post
edit on 8-4-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

peter_kandra

That's a shame. When I lived in NJ I wasn't too far from McGuire AFB and used to see them fly over my house all the time.
Is there a future replacement on the drawing board?

I know, this will raise hackles, but the "black triangles" appear to be a very utilitarian vehicle with astounding capabilities and will easily fill the need for a large transport.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

My thoughts as well. Seems like the C17 is a fantastic platform that would be useful for some time to come. Maybe the C130 is still a better option for most missions? I'd like to know if there is a replacement.

I wonder if the acceleration is due to 777x demand and if they will be converting to production for that.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ScientiaFortisDefendit

Currently all 777 production will be at Everett. The C-17 just ran out of customers. They think they can sell the last unsold aircraft, but they cut three that they planned to build unsold.

new topics

top topics

join