It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome our robot overlords!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Yes, This is a very concerning possibility. It was bought up just before your post by Mapkar.

This is known as Isaac Asimov's three laws of robotics Which include:

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot may not injure its own kind and defend its own kind unless it is interfering with the first or second rule.

We fear for our own lives life so much we need to place laws in place. But is that ethical?
We evolved into what and who we are today without such restrictions being placed on our us by Homo-erectus. Yes, I'm aware of the stupidity of the actual reality of that statement- but there should be no difference here.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I'm aware that the Turing Test is limited to whether or not a machine is capable of fooling people into thinking it's has intelligence, but that is not what I refer to. A program designed to read and execute lines of code which can fool people is not what I would class as 'Intelligence' Hence the prefix 'simulated' intelligence.
But at the end of the day I suppose it comes down to linguistics and level of acceptance. I would classify a human with self awareness as intelligent, but a mosquito I would call biological programming. It's the level of acceptance of the terms 'intelligent' and 'programming'. Despite both having the ability for memory and variables, both these terms would apply to both biological and synthetic beings.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Gear

Of course Artificial sweetener doesn't taste good. That's because it is artificial. That was the point of my preface. Artificial is not the same as Synthetic. Synthetic sweetener would taste exactly the same as real sugar because it would be the exact same chemical makeup. Only the source (cane vs lab) would be different.

In my head synthetic and artificial are one and the same, so I went and looked it up and I got this:

Synthetic, as an adjective: “made artificially by chemical synthesis, especially so as to resemble a natural product."

I see now what you mean by synthetic being a man made copy of the original........but I still dislike the idea!! LOL

I vote against it and I vote for natural evolution to carry on ruling us.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gear

Ok I see. I was just under the impression that synthetic intelligences wouldnt be doing physical work. Why would they want to? If they were more intelligent then humans, the more intelligent of humans now dont want to do more physical labor, they rather use their minds. So I was figuring that the machines doing all physical labors would be automated, like how car factories have high tech robotics to do lots of physical work, its just needed a few 'minds' to guide or operate them or over see them, eventually this can be done by another autonomous machine/robot that doesnt necessarily have to have 'consciousness'. Which I am now realizing may be a misunderstanding of mine and your OP, I think there is a big difference between consciousness and just vast intelligence, the difference being 'selfishness/sense of identity', why would superiorly intelligent and conscious fleets of robots want to mine, and build buildings, and farm, and make clothing (lol, why would humans want to do that), when they are built in a manner which none of those things really concern them? Unless we built that as slaves and held energy rations to them over their heads for work.

So I believe that hyper/synthetic intelligence world where machines and robots do everything for us will have to be done by non conscious machines/robots. And we would still work on creating true conscious intelligences, and then they would probably eventually be like 1,000 Einsteins in one body and tell us how dumb we are and build a space ship and feel bad about how we use machines and take them all somewhere to start their own planet...or something.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Hehehe, nice post (your posts are qualitative too, Gear!).

I'll tell you about a 9000+ year old story from Babylon, where all the known wars of this planet started, except for a place in south east china where the same happened, because it might sound interesting in connection to humans being robots.

Those who came from the skies lived together with the race of the earth. One day their planets king told them to make the people on earth mine gold for them to repair their planets atmosphere. For xx days the people mined for them. But then they started protesting and didn't want to work anymore. So the king discussed whether they shall have people or robots work for them.
They created a mixed race in north east Africa, a mix of star people and the race of earth. They first created a blonde female and a black haired male, the difference to them being that humans will have a foreskin, unlike them. The female who was responsible for this task gave them a lot of abilities to be smart, so the other star people were angry. Anyway, they further chose whether to directly enslave them or to use religion. They weren't sure, so they chose both. For hundreds of years each of them who were left on earth ruled a half of the planet at least until pyramids had no more use, today unheard of. One of the star people didn't want the humans to work and taught them higher knowledge, so they left him here on earth and gave him bad images like Satan. Later the story was translated to star people being gods and angels.

This story seems to exist in 4 versions from a) people telling the story from "Satans" side b) star people c) people telling the official story d) independent people

Star people as creators of us / only black haireds - where we might be set as equals to robots

Black haireds have spread from there and Asia, so they might be the created or perhaps a new version if the story has truth to it!
edit on 9-4-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join