It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy says it can now convert seawater into fuel

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

This is Freaking cool! I love anything like this.

IF....... There is anyone on this thread that wants to convert their current vehical to run off water send me a PM I will give you some cool instructions on how to convert your car (carb or EFI) to run off water with no catalyst or catalytic converter.

** You Must Have Some Knowledge Of Mechanics And Electronics To Do It** (or know some one who does
)

I could either email it to you or tell you how to find it, Just send me a pm and I will gladly help you out.

(ps, you would still be able to run off gas at the flip of a switch too, just like a natural gas system)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

GetHyped

pookle
Finally at last, the NAVY harneses WATER.

Took them long enough.

edit on 11-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

Water isn't an energy source. You have to spend more energy than you get back as fuel.

Not really, there is a Canadian company called Xogen. They are one of the leaders in this field. they have created a way to produce twice the amount of power out as whats going into it.
In other words the power used to seperate hydrogen and oxygen is only half the amount of power they get out of it.

It boils down to finding the exact frequency (sorry dont have my research in front of me I believe its between 55hz and 57hz give or take 1 or 2hz) and what kind of electrodes/ how you arrange them.

Sorry I wish I had my research here but I lent it to my band mates.

Xogen uses this system on large scale in human waste management around the world. There are also plans based on their findings that will teach you how to convert your current car to run off this tech. If you want, PM me with your email and I can send it to you or tell you how to find it.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

snypwsd

GetHyped

pookle
Finally at last, the NAVY harneses WATER.

Took them long enough.

edit on 11-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

Water isn't an energy source. You have to spend more energy than you get back as fuel.

Not really, there is a Canadian company called Xogen. They are one of the leaders in this field. they have created a way to produce twice the amount of power out as whats going into it.
In other words the power used to seperate hydrogen and oxygen is only half the amount of power they get out of it.

I went onto the xogen.ca website, but I could not find any claims that their electrolysis process gets twice the energy out of the system than they put in. Could you please provide a link to this information?

It gave other reasons why their wastewater treatment process has its advantages over other treatment processes (including some claims of being a greener solution for various reasons), but none of those advantages mentioned getting twice the energy out than was put in. One would think that would be an advantage worth mentioning.

edit on 4/14/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I researched the history of xogen.ca... and xogentechnologies.ca on archive.org. I also found a publication from 2000:

www.google.com...

It is therefore an object of the present invention to provide a cell having electrodes and containing water which produces a large amount of hydrogen and oxygen in a relatively small amount of time, and with a modest amount of input power, and without generating heat.

Looks to me Xogen Power Inc may have started to pursue cheap power, but then evolved into water treatment and backed off the power generating claims?

This looks like an old company overview:

www.fuelcellmarkets.com...

Right now, over 1 billion people have no access to water, 2.5 billion people have no sanitation and 2 billion people have no energy. The world needs an environmentally responsible way to clean up waste and to provide clean water and energy to communities around the globe.

The Xogen technology is now available to meet the challenges we face today and is laying the ground work for meeting the challenges that we are likely to face in the future generations.
That seems to imply something about providing energy to the 2 billion people who lack it, but the company seems to have backed off of their older energy claims, which still weren't over-unity claims.

Whether it's actually more efficient or not, I don't know as I didn't find any specifics, but of course to say efficiency is over-unity would be an extraordinary claim, which isn't credible without extraordinary evidence.

At least with the claim in the OP, we can understand how an under-unity process of making fuel can be inefficient, yet still be more efficient economically than transporting fossil fuels long distances to say carrier groups, where transportation costs would be significant.
edit on 14-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Arbitrageur
At least with the claim in the OP, we can understand how an under-unity process of making fuel can be inefficient, yet still be more efficient economically than transporting fossil fuels long distances to say carrier groups, where transportation costs would be significant.
edit on 14-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

I don't have all of the "bean counter" accounting numbers to know whether or not this process turns out to be cheaper once transporting costs or factored in.

However, even if it isn't cheaper, I think the attractiveness of this to the U.S. Navy would be an unbroken supply of fuel. That in itself is advantageous to the navy, even if the total costs are greater.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I think a lot of people here are missing the point of the breakthrough. Spliting water to make hydrogen gas is old tech but this process is splitting water + taking CO2 out of the water and converting it to "liquid" fuel.

JP5 fuel to be precise which can then be used to refuel military aircraft at sea.

It would do away with resupply tankers meeting fleets on extended tours.

It also means we don't have to worry about peak oil. If it can be done from Sea water then we will have enough fuel to fuel our civilizations for Eons to come. This tech just needs to become as cheap a oil and we will start using it to fuel our civilization regardless of cost. This should drive oil process to the ground but of course it wont...

This means we can STOP worrying about the future other than the environmental aspects but we have a near endless supply now. Prices should plummet as this tech becomes main stream and improved upon.
edit on 25-4-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Actually oil is still king. The process requires putting more energy into refining it than you get out of the product. However if a refinery war run off of solar, wind, or geothermal then the fuel could be transported for our use. One of the reasons there is pushback against those alternative power sources is that the electrical grid would require a complete reworking.

Fuel refining facilities can be erected near solar and wind farms or near geothermal facilities the end result then may become a cheaper fuel alternative than petroleum.Nuclear could also be used same as the Navy plans but that comes with its own problems.

As far as environmental aspects it has already been pointed out the process is carbon neutral in fact it should be an environmental cleaner because as long as the machinery that is burned in has some sort of carbon capture device such as a muffler it will remove carbon from the environment.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

Hi,

I am interested. How do I obtain that
information?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

Sorry, but that's an extraordinary claim that's backed up by no evidence.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This is awesome! I wonder if this can work with electric generators?

US Navy turns seawater into jet fuel - This is REAL Genius

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Without the need of fuel tanks on submarines, this seawater conversion idea could really revise how marine vehicles are designed. Less weight and extra space without the fuel tanks are the obvious ones. Sort of like how fish "breathe", as they swim.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If you’re paying attention you might have noticed some problems with this plan. The most obvious is that to do all of this you need a ton of energy in the first place, not just to run the process but to pump up all this seawater initially. If your ship is generating electricity from fuel, then you’re going to end up burning more than you actually create with this process. In order for this to make sense, then, you need something more hardcore… something like the reactor on a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.

In fact, if you actually read some of the reports out of this project, nuclear power is exactly where they’re going with it, but that point was completely missed by the International Business Times and other publications, as the American Spectator rightly points out.

Ok this is how the system works the navy uses a ships nuclear reactor to power a water separator making Hydrogen CO2 and oxygen.

Then they use ships waste, sewage ECT to form more CO2 from the oxygen.

Now with all the anti nuke people in the US they will not be setting this up for civilian use.

So all you are out of luck S**kers.

But a simpler system can make fuel from sewage,and trash and it has been around since the 1930s.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-11-2015 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Great! lets up the military budget for ships so we can help offset the rising sea levels!

Because 'murica

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
We need more technology like this so we can stop our dependance on oil!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Except it ups your dependence on nuclear reactors, and lots of them given the godawful efficiency of the process.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
How about a salt water nuclear reactor FTW!

Salt water nuclear reactors most likely what we will be the future of the nuclear industry. . . . . .

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

The energy needed to make the fuel is quite a bit more than the amount of energy in the fuel that is produced. Therefore it is an inefficient way to make fuel for ships.

However, the reason it is still something in which the Navy is interested is because sometimes efficiency is not important. What's important in some cases is the ability to make fuel...period.

This process allows the Navy to make their own fuel from seawater (and using nuclear reactors as a power source for the conversion process) when necessary when other sources of fuel may not be available to them.

edit on 11/9/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

The energy needed to make the fuel is quite a bit more than the amount of energy in the fuel that is produced. Therefore it is an inefficient way to make fuel for ships.

However, the reason it is still something in which the Navy is interested is because sometimes efficiency is not important. What's important in some cases is the ability to make fuel...period.

This process allows the Navy to make their own fuel from seawater (and using nuclear reactors as a power source for the conversion process) when necessary when other sources of fuel may not be available to them.

But once we get enough of the process going it could most likely meet all of our energy needs!
It could essentially become the number one source of energy for our civilization!

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

But once we get enough of the process going it could most likely meet all of our energy needs!
It could essentially become the number one source of energy for our civilization!

What part of this are you not understanding?

It's not a source of energy. It's a pricey, inefficient energy sink. You have to expend an inordinate amount of energy to "make fuel from seawater". The only reason the Navy's looking at it is to produce jet fuel from nuclear reactor power when there isn't a more convenient source.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I think its a good technology and could aid our society, salt water is plentiful and can solve all of our energy needs.

When there is a will there is a way.

As the technology becomes more widespread costs will go down.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join