It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy says it can now convert seawater into fuel

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Bedlam

Bilk22
I just looked at the video. He used a laser to perform some function.

I'm sure. If it doesn't have lots of flashy lights and gadgetry, you might notice that the thing's not actually doing what he claims.

I imagine Tesla, fields, vibrations, resonance, ZPE, dark matter and quantum something-or-other were involved too.
Guess you never watched the video presentations or looked at the schematics.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

if the by product is CO2 isnt that a bad thing??

This is not necessarily an ecological solution either, because (the way I see it) while they may be taking CO2 out of the environment to create this fuel, they will simply put that CO2 back in when the fuel is eventually burned.

Making ethanol from corn for fuel or using vegetable oil for biodiesel is the same thing.
The navy is just taking CO2 from seawater. and not from the air like biofuels.

At least they are not making fuel from food.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yay, so soon we can look forward to paying extortionate prices for water, to compensate for the loss of tax the governments will have on other fuels.
Extremely doubtful we, the people, will benefit in any way from this...

It is fascinating that in the near future the process will become reality though.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Ummm...Why would they even need the CO2...? In electrolysis...H2O is split into hydrogen AND oxygen using a DC current. Therefore you produce the fuel (hydrogen) and the catalyst (oxygen) Which could both be liquefied, (in separate vessels) with refrigeration, and pressure. Not understanding why one would need to produce a hydrocarbon, when all of a given, (filtered/ionized/pure) water volume (with salts) could be turned into gases, (H and O2) with a DC current...The "burn" would also be much cleaner...with co2 and potable h2o the byproducts...

I understand the energy to return ratio...unless one is talking nuclear...steam to DC electricity conversion to electrolysis which seems like a far reach when you already have the steam to turbine for propulsion...

I'd have to agree that there must be some (new) cheap energy potential use that the Navy is preparing to unveil. Because frankly, I cant see them stripping (H) from H2O...without...the use of electrolysis.

YouSir

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Personally I feel the world would be a better place without water. Wait. Nevermind. Here is what surprises me...Usually such technologies are kept secret by the military, and they use them in some capacity for a while before the public even hears of them. I didn't see if this was developed internally, or in secret or anything, but I highly doubt it.

My main concern is that this technology will not reach the public. Will the process itself be patentable? And if not, why can't companies start forming right now with some idea to market this? Not enough research I suppose. But when that time comes, the same questions will still apply I think.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

JiggyPotamus
My main concern is that this technology will not reach the public.

It's not practical for the public as it takes far more energy to create than you get back. The navy have different requirements than mere efficiency.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

YouSir

I understand the energy to return ratio...unless one is talking nuclear...steam to DC electricity conversion to electrolysis which seems like a far reach when you already have the steam to turbine for propulsion...

I'd have to agree that there must be some (new) cheap energy potential use that the Navy is preparing to unveil. Because frankly, I cant see them stripping (H) from H2O...without...the use of electrolysis.

YouSir

I believe this is the patent for the technology and it appears that they are using nuclear energy and standard electrolysis

www.google.com...:

Hydrogen is produced by standard electrolysis of water using electrodes, thermolysis of water (for example using waste heat from nuclear reactors), thermochemical processes, and any combination of the above methods. Energy for the hydrogen production can be provided by nuclear reactor electricity; nuclear reactor waste heat conversion; a thermochemical process; ocean thermal energy conversion to electricity; any other source of fossil fuel free electricity such as ocean waves, wind, tides or currents; or any combination of the above methods.

There are several well-established processes for direct hydrogenation of gases such as CO or CO2 to produce hydrocarbon fuels. One of the most successful was developed in Germany in the 1920s by Franz Fischer and Hans Tropsch. In 1938, early German plants produced 591,000 metric tons per year, approximately 5×106 barrels per year or approximately 2×108 gallons/year, of oil and gasoline using the Fischer-Tropsch process, which reacts carbon monoxide and hydrogen with a catalyst to produce liquid hydrocarbons and water. The problem with these methods is that they use fossil fuels to produce the CO, CO2, and H2 used.

Their goal is to remove their dependency from fossil fuels and having to replenish their fuel. This process allows them to have a floating refinery plant on remote locations and does not require them to overhaul their existing propulsion systems.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

BELIEVERpriest

What happens when they discover that distilled water works best for the process?

Drinking water shortage? Inflation?

distilled water won't work with electrolysis. You need an electrolyte (salt) to make it work... but a byproduct of electrolysis is chlorine gas..... so I hope that won't be a problem

edit on 3029414WedPM15K by tinyDAWK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tinyDAWK

But it takes more energy to make the fuel than you get from it....... right?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

GetHyped

JiggyPotamus
My main concern is that this technology will not reach the public.

It's not practical for the public as it takes far more energy to create than you get back. The navy have different requirements than mere efficiency.

Not yet, but wait until oil prices start to climb again. And they will, sooner or later. At $6 per gallon it is not far off. Producing fuel like this is actually sustainable. And there are other advantages, it is carbon neutral, the fuel is burning cleaner than fossil fuels, no dependence on foreign oil..
edit on 9/4/14 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That would be awesome whenever, and "if" they allowed this technology to be used by civilians.

We might finally get "world peace" 20-30 years down the road whenever, and "if' this technology was made available.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Agreed but never underestimate our Military Industrial Complex tenacity to make money at the cost of human life.

I'm sure well before this gets on the hands of civilians we will have certainly identified anew Axis of evil paradigm.

World peace will only come when societies morals change and our elected officials are motivated to do the right thing for humanity versus the highest lobbyist.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Can anyone point me to a site
or wiki that will explain the process
in DETAIL.

YES i know it takes energy to get energy.
But PRICE and avilability is key..

I dont NEED to buy tomatoes, i can grow them
myself.
edit on 2014/4/10 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I didn't see the word "efficiency" anywhere in the source article.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

the patent with lots of details.
www.google.com...
edit on 12430America/ChicagoThu, 10 Apr 2014 00:12:51 -0500up3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 11430America/ChicagoThu, 10 Apr 2014 00:11:59 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This is old! Buddy of mine designed the best system. It runs off less than 1 amp. The way it works is think about feedback from a guitar. Make the fuel cell resonate at the correct tuning (frequency) per sa. That's the only hint I can give. Abundant hydrogen. To many folks have died! Thanks Rothschild Rockefeller evil devils!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Wasn't not called HH2O...? Something the public shouldn't be allowed to produce?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

0bserver1
Wasn't not called HH2O...?

No. Are the scammers calling it HH2O now?

Something the public shouldn't be allowed to produce?

No. What makes you think this is the case?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Wediedforthis
This is old! Buddy of mine designed the best system. It runs off less than 1 amp. The way it works is think about feedback from a guitar. Make the fuel cell resonate at the correct tuning (frequency) per sa. That's the only hint I can give. Abundant hydrogen. To many folks have died! Thanks Rothschild Rockefeller evil devils!

Patent or it didn't happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join