It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M1 Abrams - Questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Is the Abrams sooo strong? Is there a better tank?
And, how do I destroy an Abrams? They say RPG's and even HEAT rounds are useless against it

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The Abrhams tank seires is very strong. Not sure on their weak points, but they can resist an RPG for sure.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by poirot
And, how do I destroy an Abrams?

another terrorist logs into ATS?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Nothing is indestructable, not even the Abrams.
The Abrams has been destroyed or incompacitated in a variety of ways.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I wonder what will happen if you hit M-1 Abram with hellfire missile from AH-64...since they claim AH-64 to be a tank killer, if it can't kill Abram...then that statement will not be completely true.

[edit on 26-11-2004 by twchang]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Can someone give me a link to hellfire missiles?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
an old tank arguably inferior to the Challenger 2 and Leopard 2, but still effective against rusting former soviet T-55's

It is vulnerable like any tank in certain areas more than others... such as the rear and tracks.

Dedicated anti-tank missiles will of course have more success than light RPG rounds

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
yea, there are several ways to kill tank effectively, such as attacking from above with things like AH-64 and A-10, attack from rear, or attack from below with anti tank mines.

But you have to use specialized weapon with enough punch, especially new tanks such as M1A2. That is why they are still using some tanks today. Normal RPG simplely won't be effective.

[edit on 26-11-2004 by twchang]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
If you want to disable an Abrams with your basic RPG-7 (300mm of penetration). You have to hit either the engine deck or the turret bustle. Either way, the crew will survive and has a good chance of blowing you away.

With the RPG-29 (800mm of penetration). The Abrams is vulnerable across it's entire flank and rear. Of course a single RPG penetration to the turret won't completely destroy the tank, it will be returned to depot and repaired. The Abrams has an extremely high surivivability rate if penetrated, so I would say at max a crewmen would die only if directed in the way of the HEAT jet.

But it's not like any other tank is better protected then this. Maybe the Merkava.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Why would anybody in their right mind even ask this question?
Not flaming, but why should anyone be concerned to do so?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by birddawg
Why would anybody in their right mind even ask this question?
Not flaming, but why should anyone be concerned to do so?

Poirot is posting from Iraq, and he's having trouble destroying the Abrams with his RPG-7.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Unless you are in the air, there is only one way I would advise dealing with a hostile M1 and it involves running and hiding like a scared little girl. Other options are tucking your head between your legs and kissing your ass goodbye, praying, or shooting yourself so as not to give the tank crew the satisfaction of another kill.

Also, the Army is like a street gang; we all wear the same color, carry guns everywhere we go, and if you are un-lucky enough to get one of us, we will kill you sooner or later. I would suggest steering clear of the CDATs, or some U.S. Army Cavalry Scout will show you the true meaning of the word RECON. Good luck

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I'm in the U.S. Army and have dealt with Abrams tanks numerous times. I think the best way to take one out...well, I think you're best bet would be to go up to the nearest Army post, and ask one of the armed guards there, they're always willing to help people like you out.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
I'm in the U.S. Army and have dealt with Abrams tanks numerous times. I think the best way to take one out...well, I think you're best bet would be to go up to the nearest Army post, and ask one of the armed guards there, they're always willing to help people like you out.

They sure will help you out. Hows three free meals a day and a free one way ticket to a tropical island sound?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Any particular reason your wondering? A RPG is a Rocket Propelled Grenade, as I'm sure many of you already know. Unless you hit the thank in the tracks, they're pretty much useless, however they are also extremly cheap in countries like Iraqi and others in the mid.-east, so they have lots of them. As for the AH64 helo, why would we want to blow up our own tanks anyway? If a Apache was captured by the enemy(don't ask me how...), it is very unlikely they could fly it, it is a complicated machine.

~Lcpl R. 2/2 MAR Camp Lejeune, NC

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 28-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
jeeeeeepuz! imagine if that'd been gone over by a civillian car/truck?! imagine how high it would have gone....oh well...guess with enough explosive you can blow up anything ey

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
SWAT assessments by us army:

www.fprado.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Countermeasures, as to the first topic you linked to, that picture was BS. I believe someone already said why in that topic, but you seem to be ignoring them. The hull was not damaged in a manner consistent with the claimed means of destruction and the turret would not be blown off without significant damage to the hull. You dont have to agree with him, but continuing on as if he hadnt said anything in that topic is not a way to earn a good reputation around here. We have had allot of people choosing to be blind to factual information and the truth around here lately, and it is not being tolerated as well as it once was.

As to the second page you linked to, it said that right inside of it that there had been no M1s disabled by mines. Kind of debunked your first linked story yourself

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well, I don't know how your advice about tucking heads between knees helps earning reputation, so how do you suppose the turret blew off?

Love your avatar BTW

Discussing blowing up M1 tanks, might be considered an act of unamerican and unpatriottic behaviour, but it's more challenging to try defeat a very hard target than to discuss how to kill soft targets with american cluster bombs...

Personally I find non-lethal tactics to annoy tanks and lower their performance highly interesting, such as sniping at the thermal seekers (wich the allied special troops did in Bosnia against Serb tanks). Naturally commanders standing in the hatches were also suspectible to snipers....

Some other speculative ideas for tank harassment (not restricted to M1):

- non-lethal: Individual tracks chains are usually the easiest to destroy (providing you can hit them) , but can be replaced fairly easily. I don't know how spare track chains the average tank carries with it, but I assume that a lengthwise row of small mines could disable like 25 percent of the track chains, the tank would probably have to wait for a repair crew to bring enough spare parts.

- non-lethal: inside an urban area, have roads that have lengthwise trenches with only a weak roof running along one side of the road, the roof could be made to collapse by the weight of the tank or collapsed remotely, anyway, the aim is to bring the tank out of balance and let it flip over by its own weight in the narrow, but deep trench, this might cause some buirses for the crew if they werent properly buclkled up in their seatbelts, but surely the tank wouldn't be of much use until some repair crew lifts the tank out of the trench.

- lethal ?:I wonder what would happen it you trained pigeons to fly towards a tank and land inside the barrel (thinking there is some food there). The pigeon could carry a small payload, maybe an incendiary Thermite device, that would either burn a small hole inside the barrel, mess up its range/accuracy or more spectacular, wait for the barrel to be loaded with one of the tanks own grenades and attemps to ignite the tanks own warhead.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join