It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blowing up the...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Blowing up the...

Is it possible to blow up the sun?
Or maybe even freeze it?
Push it away?
If you can what would you use?

I was thinking to push it away, you could take a bomb, put it on a ship then a few miles before the sun release the bomb then let it explode pushing away the sun. When i say a few miles i mean enough distance so that the bomb doesnt explode.

This question is a lot like the one below...

"Can I shoot myself in the head with my toes and a toothpick?"

Of course the obvious reply would be..."Why the hell would you wish to do so?"
You do realize of course, that without the sun, we'd all be quite dead? And no, there is no conventional weapon that we currently possess that would even be capable of such a feat. We could launch every nuke in the world into the sun and it would hardly "burp"

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
the logical thing to do is wait 5 billion years by then the sun will run out of fuel and burn out into a supernova or somthing by then i hope the human species will have a evolved a better mind to get off this planet and solar system to escape the chain reaction

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Byrd is right.

It's not possible for Earthlings to destroy the sun.

No explosion we can possibly generate from Earthly materials can even affect the sun. The sun is one giant nuclear fusion reactor contained by its enormous gravity. A nuclear bomb wouldn't do anything.

I guarantee that any quantum effects we can think of to generate explosions have already been tried countless times in the Sun, to no success.

No black hole in our galaxy is strong enough to suck in the Sun at any noticeable rate. If such a black hole existed, we'd have already noticed it. There may be a few primordial ones in the solar system, but those are too weak.

E_T

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
And no, there is no conventional weapon that we currently possess that would even be capable of such a feat. We could launch every nuke in the world into the sun and it would hardly "burp"
Yeah, good comparison is that sun produces more energy in few seconds than all our nuclear weapons could ever produce.

Well... here little calculation:

Rate of energy production of the Sun
3.8x10^26 W (38 and 25 zeroes)
(www.usd.edu...)
Now watts means joules per second so sun produces 3.8x10^26 joules in every second.

1 kt = 4.19x10^12 joules
(nuclearweaponarchive.org...)
But lets transfer it to Mt... 4.19x10^15 joules
And lets assume total yield of nuclear stockpiles to about 10 Gt = 10 000 Mt

That makes energy output of them to 4.19x10^20 joules.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser
who knows? anyone seen the movie k-pax? maybe a single photon could be turn into extordinary power

the photon with the highest energy measured had enough to heat 25 grams of water a degree celsius, i believe. a lot for a single photon, but... nothing.

you cant blow up the sun, or cool it down, as has been said countless times here. a bomb? yeah, right. all of our nukes, multiplied by a thousand, wouldnt do it. we cant make a black hole. the amount of mass is absurd, the amount of energy is absurd, the amount of us dying first is absurd.

smashing pluto into it? pluto is smaller than the moon. pluto is cold because tis far from the sun. that would be like trying to take the sahara to absolute zero with a single ice cube. good luck, bra.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join