It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blowing up the...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Is it possible to blow up the sun?
Or maybe even freeze it?
Push it away?
If you can what would you use?

I was thinking to push it away, you could take a bomb, put it on a ship then a few miles before the sun release the bomb then let it explode pushing away the sun. When i say a few miles i mean enough distance so that the bomb doesnt explode.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Better yet, how about 'pushing' earth away?

www.disasterrelief.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ok thats good
thankyou for the site

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I do think it would be fun to freeze the earth or blow it up.
I dont mean blowing it up. I mean having the satisfaction of knowing that you can.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Well if you decided to push the sun away or freeze it then you would freeze the Earth as well. I am pretty sure it will be impossible to create any kind of weapon to destroy the sun for several hundred years. Why would you want to destroy our own civilization anyways?

With that said, I suppose the only way to actually affect the sun in anyway is to load a shuttle/craft/spacechip with some form of element that would react violently with the elements of the sun and eventually lead to a chain reaction of massive explosions much like the way a nuclear bomb works. Inside the bomb is a little sphere of uranium/plutonium that has a detonater within it. It causes some super intense pressure of course forcing all the atoms or something to go crazy and start exploding releasing all the energy. You would have to do something similar to this to the sun. So if a golfball size thing of uranium can destroy a whole city when the energy is released, is it even imaginable the yield of destruction that something thousands of times the size of Earth would have once he energy is released? Needless to say im almost certain this whole solar system would cease to exist. But how far would it go?

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The sun is already blowing up in a gigantic fusion explosion. What more do you want? If you want it to implode you'll need to increase it's mass by a significant factor.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a weapon that creates an artificial super nova would do it, but that kind of tech. wont be able to be created for another one-two thousand years.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
ooooooohhhh i get it. i dont actually want to blow up the sun or anything i just wanted to know if it could be done.

I was thinking maybe for freezing the sun, or making it less hot, that you could shoot pluto into the sun. How you are going to do that I dont know. But it might work.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by allergist
Is it possible to blow up the sun?

No. The Sun is so much huger than Earth. That's like asking if you can dilute the salt in the Pacific Ocean by running a garden hose from your house into the Pacific Ocean.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Are you sure its not possible to blow up the sun?
You say "no" to a lot of things.
I was looking throughout the other topics and you keep saying that these things arent possible. Like the time travel. that one comes to mind the most recent.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
If you some how manage to collide a white dwarf or a neutron star into it, then yes you could "blow" it up.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
If you drop a heavy/massive enough black hole into it you could. But a black hole massive enough is going to out weigh the sun by many times. Also would leave a huge black hole that would suck probably all the planets into it.

I think if you could set up a convergence of huge gravity waves that all intersected simultaneously inside the sun it might do the trick and not leave a black hole behind. [creating a vertex of steep spikes and valleys] This could have some odd effects that went dimensionally beyond the Universe. perhaps ripping or tearing it temporarily or even permanantly depending on the nature of the Universes underlying structure/form.

If you could get and control a mass of anti-matter that was a sizeable fraction of the mass of the sun and dropped it in it would anihilate that amount of the mass of the sun instantaneously into pure energy.

These are all things that are so far beyond our current capabilities that it is almost laughable.

They are also all incomprehensibly horrible from my personal viewpoint.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Are you sure its not possible to blow up the sun?
I was looking throughout the other topics and you keep saying that these things arent possible. Like the time travel. that one comes to mind the most recent.

Yes, I'm quite sure.

If you set 150 Earth-sized planets in a row next to each other, that would be the diameter of the sun. You could pack 1,300,000 Earth-sized planets into the area of the sun.

The mass of the Earth is 1/333,000 the size of the sun.

The total energy output of the Earth is unbelievably tiny compared to the sun.

Wormhole? We don't have one.

Black holes? We don't have enough power or matter to create one. Even if we did, there's no guarantee that it would do anything to the sun for a long time. There are black holes next to stars that have been sucking away their matter for centuries... and the star is still there. science.howstuffworks.com...

We don't have enough matter/energy/etc (even if the Earth was made up of antimatter and we ran into an Alternate Earth) to influence the Sun. Antimatter-matter collisions follow the E=MCsquared formula.

Annihilating the Earth with antimatter produces less than 1/333,000th the energy output of the sun.

You can do the math for yourself and check.
www.enchantedlearning.com...

(and yes, I tend to whack silly theories that don't add up or that make wild assumptions that don't match reality. I used to teach high school science and taught math/calculus as a teaching assistant at a unviersity. A lot of UFO/conspiracy boards end up with people coming in with their latest idea and pretending as though it's real and valid. This isn't denying ignorance; it's spreading ignorance.)
\

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Man black holes are so cool.

Rofl, the sun is already blowing up as somebody already said.

And pluto is like throwing a pebble at a volcanic mountain.

Also 'we' could't or anything we made could't get close enough to the sun to cause the sun to implode, i think, would't it burn up any kind of element a good distance away?

E_T

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I was looking throughout the other topics and you keep saying that these things arent possible.
It's just that this western civilisation is so full of those with delusions about human being all powerfull while in reality even most basic forces of nature could destroy civilisation as we know it.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Like mentioned before, the sun is an on-going nuke that blows up every second. If you wanted to destroy it, you would need to suck it's matter out or implode it which is impossible. Even if we had the technology (which is impossible in my point of view) it would require so many resources, perhaps as much as earth-size planets.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
i wouldnt even wanna blow up the sun not like i could. We humans need the sun!!

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There is nothing we have here on earth that is capable of even distorting the suns energy output to a significant level(noticable). Even if we fired 100 nukes a day at the sun for the rest of the year, the nukes would never make it into the sun and would have very little effect. Which is why I always wonder why we haven't packed all our nuclear waste into rockets and fired them at the sun. There are no harmful side effects to this other than the enormous cost assosiated with it.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The answer there is the unreliability of our "Rocket Science".
All it would take is for ONE rocket to go off course, or misfire..
We'd have quite a mess.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Even if we had the technology (which is impossible in my point of view) it would require so many resources, perhaps as much as earth-size planets.

who knows? anyone seen the movie k-pax? maybe a single photon could be turn into extordinary power

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join