It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shameless...anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Have any of you seen it?

It's based off of the British version but still pretty well produced and accurate for a remake.

This show is like a vision into my past...there is so much content that resonates with me.

It's almost scary how it resonates with my experiences.

I recommend it to anyone that is interested in seeing how the lower half get by...or at least try to get by.

Life is hard and always throws curve balls.

There is a way out of the cycle though....it's just really hard to get there.

This show is a good example of the struggle to get there.

Go Lip!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I find very few of the characters Likable,

though it does emphasis the trap of poverty.

Those raised in poverty are ill equipped to climb out of it, so the cycle repeats.

Even the smartest Character, is marred down by the life experiences of being poor, so much so that long term planning doesn't enter into it.

IE: Lip, despite college being an out, that yes though a few years of suffering, he is smart enough to get scholarships and go, yet the issues of today always override the long term goal.

So the poor, stay poor.

It certainly is an interesting look into the ills of society.
edit on 7-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

benrl

I find very few of the characters Likable,

though it does emphasis the trap of poverty.

Those raised in poverty are ill equipped to climb out of it, so the cycle repeats.

Even the smartest Character, is marred down by the life experiences of being poor, so much so that long term planning doesn't enter into it.

IE: Lip, despite college being an out, that yes though a few years of suffering, he is smart enough to get scholarships and go, yet the issues of today always override the long term goal.

So the poor, stay poor.

It certainly is an interesting look into the ills of society.
edit on 7-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

Yet, here I sit as proof that it can be done...and successfully so!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric

Yet, here I sit as proof that it can be done...and successfully so!

Yes, it most certainly can.

Just few lack the wits, the will, or motivation to do.

And that can be attributed to a host of societal and economic problems.

Poor education, poor health, etc.

Living hand to mouth tends to lead to more of the same.

I am the grand child of a Gardner, the Son of someone raised in one of the worst Ghettos in east L.A.

Yet my father rose above, and so did everyone of his children.

We range from Ivy league educated, to Vice Presidents of corporations.

We achieved Success, it can still happen, I believe that.

Unfortunately though, we have a system that makes that more and more a rarity than a common occurrence.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The way you express your thoughts...It appears to me that it was your father that laid the groundwork for your familial success.

Have you dug yourself our of any hardships? All on your own accord?

What have you accomplished on your own? Without the heritage you have been blessed with in your life?

I mean NO disrespect...truly, I do not. I would just like an honest answer.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by benrl

The way you express your thoughts...It appears to me that it was your father that laid the groundwork for your familial success.

What have you accomplished on your own? Without the heritage you have been blessed with in your life?

My father lost everything in the housing collapse, and I lost my first house as well.

Had a stroke at 26, lost a 6 figure job, wife and I where practically homeless.

Having to take care of myself, and my elderly father.

Since than, I have survived by doing things others would not.

Moved 1000 miles to a cheaper area, Worked against doctors advice, invited those in similar situations to live communally with me as I climbed back up.

I leveraged every small advantage I could, and planned, I went with out, I sold everything.

And it worked, HARD work in american, can certainly pay off.

But that is the problem, its always getting harder to do, their is a war against the middle class.

If you wan't to get into overall greater philosophy in history, It could be said this is the first true "middle class" in history, and it seems the Elite wan't that gone.

Before, it tended to be the Haves, and the have nots, this middle almost have... Well seems to offend the haves to much.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

benrl

MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by benrl

My father lost everything in the housing collapse, and I lost my first house as well.

Had a stroke at 26, lost a 6 figure job, wife and I where practically homeless.

Having to take care of myself, and my elderly father.

Since than, I have survived by doing things others would not.

Moved 1000 miles to a cheaper area, Worked against doctors advice, invited those in similar situations to live communally with me as I climbed back up.

I leveraged every small advantage I could, and planned, I went with out, I sold everything.

And it worked, HARD work in american, can certainly pay off.

But that is the problem, its always getting harder to do, their is a war against the middle class.

If you wan't to get into overall greater philosophy in history, It could be said this is the first true "middle class" in history, and it seems the Elite wan't that gone.

Before, it tended to be the Haves, and the have nots, this middle almost have... Well seems to offend the haves to much.

Wow! I'm very impressed.

How did you move so far and by what means did you do so with your father and wife?

I only ask because your travels are most incredible.

Do you live in a community of like minded folks?

You sir, intrigue me.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I may have misread...

did you travel only with your wife?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

It's my favorite TV show!!! Lip is hot!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric

I only ask because your travels are most incredible.

Do you live in a community of like minded folks?

You sir, intrigue me.

Well, some of its personal.

All I did, was every time I had a chance to help someone, I did.

I offered rooms to friends to rent at rates to just cover the things like the light bill.

People I knew who where struggling like me.

I moved 1000 miles, to get out of a community property state, to address the issues of my destroyed credit.

I offered several friends to come with, as my wife and I had managed to save enough for the 3 percent down on a first time loan for her.

Bought a house that was a repo, need of repair, far under market value, Again Invited friends to come up an live rent free in exchange for labor on the house.

Two came up with me, my wife, brother and father.

House that was bought for well under market, afterward was repaired and gained over 70k in value.

I really account it to doing and putting up with things others wouldn't (share a bathroom in a 1 bth house with 7 people for a year, just to get the down back.)

My father came from dirt poor, I came from lower middle class to dirt poor, to back to firm middle classdom, by being willing to live off levels of survival a large majority would not.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I've lived in that majority that most wouldn't for so long......

Well, let's just say it's personal.

Welcome to the other side my friend.

Best wishes and utmost respect bestowed.

I truly am Shameless!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Hands down one of the best shows ever made... a true insight on how people dealing with poverty and addiction live.

Much better than the UK version...although the UK version is still good.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
i started watching season 1 last night and i love it. im 4 episodes in. i was telling my wife that i hope it is not one of those shows that take a few episodes to get going and it didnt. it was firing off straight away.

the scene where lip took his younger brother to the girls house to tutor her was hilarious...the fathers reaction...

great show

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant
i started watching season 1 last night and i love it. im 4 episodes in. i was telling my wife that i hope it is not one of those shows that take a few episodes to get going and it didnt. it was firing off straight away.

the scene where lip took his younger brother to the girls house to tutor her was hilarious...the fathers reaction...

great show

I know exactly the scene you talking about. Pretty funny stuff.

It really is a great show. It's actually a show that my husband and I can watch together which is very rare for us.

Can't wait for the next season.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
7 episodes into the 2nd season and the show is still strong.
cant wait to see what happens

new topics

top topics

join