It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs bill easing airport screening for vets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A0SO8zrcQUNTAX0AbNxXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'EzYWs3bWY0 BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM3MF8x

Wounded and disabled service people and veterans will now have an easier time getting through airport security. The measure requires the Defense Department and Veterans Affairs to work with the Transportation Security Administration on a new protocol. Democratic congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, an Iraq war veteran, sponsored the bill, with Democratic Sen. Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire leading the Senate effort. Gabbard says the law ensures troops can return to life at home as quickly and seamlessly as possible. She says veterans deserve dignified screening processes that respect their service and sacrifices.

Veterans will now have an easier time passing through tough security points were others will have to undergo the same as before.

Thanks Obama, from a Veteran

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm a disabled veteran from a different era. Naturally I'm proud of all veterans, but I feel sick to my stomach every time I see a fellow or lady disabled veteran from Iraq or Afghanistan. Two useless wars...Our children were maimed and killed for no good reason, IMO.
-cwm

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skymon612

I declare this Bill, awesome!

Thank you Obama for recognizing this problem and doing something about it!
I personally do not support our current military efforts over seas. But I strongly support the men and women serving in the Military, and their great personal sacrifices.. No way to treat a Vet coming back from War, to pull him aside and interrogate him/her as a security threat.. Shame on TSA.. Shame!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Gee, thank you Obama for waiting to do this after the war is already over and the one in Afghanistan is winding down.

Why did he wait?

Why wait?

Oh yeah, its an election year.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Gee, what can go wrong with this.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Great observation beez!
You make Bugz look dim sometimes..

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Do you have any other sources on this?
Have questions about it that this does not answer, like is this just for troops returning home?

Gabbard says the law ensures troops can return to life at home as quickly and seamlessly as possible. She says veterans deserve dignified screening processes that respect their service and sacrifices.

That quote makes it seem as so.
Seems strange that a law needed to be made to expedite the process of getting injured troops home through our commercial air system...

Also is this process going to be expanded from the current procedures in place to handle other disabled members of society?
Military is not the only line of work that men and women become wounded and disabled from.

edit on thMon, 07 Apr 2014 20:57:27 -0500America/Chicago420142780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
O'Bams will still catch hell for this. Some people have a knack for finding fault in everything he does, no matter how well intentioned.

Makes you go hmm

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hmm.. its one thing on paper .. in reality it will be situation normal all fooked up as everyone will get molested as usual by the terrorist state agency thugs ..
Wouldve been better if it was a bill to abolish the terrorist state agency and let everyone travel without being harrased by state sponsored thugs.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

If we are discussing HR 1344 it is not exactly breaking news OP. And leave it to the liberal press to slap Obama on the back for signing a bill that originated in the Republican controlled House. I congratulate all of our legislators for this moment of standing tall. It was sad for the soldier missing a leg or an arm to have TSA insist that the prosthesis be removed for inspection.

This is the timeline of HR 1344l:

Progress
Introduced Mar 21, 2013
Referred to Committee Mar 21, 2013
Passed House May 21, 2013
Passed Senate with Changes Aug 01, 2013
House Agreed to Changes Aug 02, 2013
Signed by the President Aug 09, 2013

Link

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I see something obvious.

I see the Democrats and Obama making the *Illusion* that they seem to "support" this.

I bet real deep down inside they don't.

It is a political magic tactic.

Now all-of-a-sudden people think they can get comfortable.

Be wary of wickedness later.

[ yellow flashing lights at the next intersection !! ]

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'm sure my opinion is going to be highly unpopular, but I don't agree with this. Not at all.

Serving in the military doesn't elevate you over the rest of the population. Just because you signed up (and let's not pretend the majority join because of altruism) doesn't mean you are more valuable than anyone else in society or any less of a potential threat. Look at all the shootings perpetrated by former or active duty soldiers.

There are just as many crazies in the military as there are in any other profession. The outrage would be huge if these privileges were being afforded to cops or firefighters.

I'm not anti military, I'm anti feel good laws being passed that are a bad idea/BS if you actually look at them. So all of a sudden someone who is never going to see combat, has never seen combat and is flying to another state to work in the motor pool at a different base is now considered safer than a Grandmother flying to get treatment and her family.

Really if this was any other group ATS would be PISSED. If it was a politician you would be pissed. Cops, extremely pissed. Rich people, pretty pissed. In other countries if you have the money you get to bribe officials and bypass lines/screening. This is the same thing, except instead of money being the factor it votes and warm fuzzies.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Domo1
I'm sure my opinion is going to be highly unpopular, but I don't agree with this. Not at all.

Serving in the military doesn't elevate you over the rest of the population. Just because you signed up (and let's not pretend the majority join because of altruism) doesn't mean you are more valuable than anyone else in society or any less of a potential threat. Look at all the shootings perpetrated by former or active duty soldiers.

There are just as many crazies in the military as there are in any other profession. The outrage would be huge if these privileges were being afforded to cops or firefighters.

I'm not anti military, I'm anti feel good laws being passed that are a bad idea/BS if you actually look at them. So all of a sudden someone who is never going to see combat, has never seen combat and is flying to another state to work in the motor pool at a different base is now considered safer than a Grandmother flying to get treatment and her family.

Really if this was any other group ATS would be PISSED. If it was a politician you would be pissed. Cops, extremely pissed. Rich people, pretty pissed. In other countries if you have the money you get to bribe officials and bypass lines/screening. This is the same thing, except instead of money being the factor it votes and warm fuzzies.

Spot on my friend

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

It's sad for anyone that has to go through the TSA dehumanization zone.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Nice start now sign a bill that lets Americans travel within the United States freely and be a little more tough on who can become a Citizen..

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The story behind this thread is correct.

This was an actual initiative that was passed and the TSA is following these guidelines.

Despite Alex Jones false reporting of the matter the facts behind it remains true.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Are their any veterans here on the forum who have seen any change so far?

If you are a veteran and you have seen some change can you reply.

top topics

join