It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother leaves children in car for a job interview-gaining public support

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

To me this is just one more example of how the culture and the legal system judges, vilifies and ultimately marginalizes the poor. They did this during the industrial revolution as well; the working poor were often deemed "unfit" parents because they were too poor to take care of their children the way the middle class thought that they should. Leaving them in the car was not a smart choice but I have little doubt that she felt like there was not another choice to be made.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Night Star

MagesticEsoteric

Night Star
If she couldn't find someone to watch the kids for one interview, how would she find someone to watch them with a full time job? I would rather go on welfare than to risk the lives of my two babies. You hear too many stories of children being left home alone while parents work, children who are too young to care for themselves. Anything could happen to these kids.

I feel horrible that this woman is in such desperation, but that is why we have welfare, to care for people who have little ones and no other options to care for them.

So....you contend that she is better off on welfare?

I suppose welfare differs from state to state, I don't know. Years ago, a woman would be given help in finding employment and also allowed something toward day care. So yes, in this case, I believe she should get help from somewhere. Beats having to risk your two babies dying.

No disrespect...truly.

Having said that....times have changed.

Things are so different that sometimes...even I am shocked.

The world has changed folks....it has changed and there are still a lot of people that haven't even begun to catch up with reality...much less the TRUTH!

Despite my sadness to this truth, I still believe some of us can come together and make it better. Hopeless romantic I suppose?

I wish you were right. I really do.
edit on 7-4-2014 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This truly shows that IQ levels actually matter in most instances.

Poor kids, my heart goes out to them. The mother had the best interest in her heart but her brain wasn't/isn't at full capacity to care for them the way children need taken care of. sad but true.

Tell me how I'm wrong.
edit on 7-4-2014 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

kimish
This truly shows that IQ levels actually matter in most instances.

Poor kids, my heart goes out to them. The mother had the best interest in her heart but her brain wasn't/isn't at full capacity to care for them the way children need taken care of. sad but true.

Tell me how I'm wrong.
edit on 7-4-2014 by kimish because: (no reason given)

IQ Level?

You don't believe this mother knew what she was doing? Intelligence is what prompted her action.

She made a decision to try and better her situation and that of her children by leaving them there so she could go to the interview.

Yes! This mother KNEW what she was doing. This has nothing to do with her level of intelligence.

This was her attempt at survival. She had to know the risk yet, she took the chance.

It's not about her I f'n Q!

You sir....missed the point of this thread entirely.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I am really, really interested in hearing what others here have to say about this story. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I feel sorry for the poor wee lassie...she shouldn't have to choose between her childrens safety and going to a job interview so they don't starve to death and have to live in a box.

The age of the children is what makes this hard for me to come to terms with though. The older child was completely incapable of looking after it's sibling...even for a short period of time.

That being said....I don't think charging her with child abuse solves anything.

It's a sad story indeed.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I feel for her, but what if someone broke into her car and stole her children?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I've been living here in the valley of the sun for 18 years now. Every day at lunch I sit in my truck . Most of the year I sit in my truck with the windows open. In the hot season I spend lunch in my truck in the ac. . It aint happened yet this year, and Work across the valley, from AJ, to Waddell. California nutcases should go back to California, cuz they are to blame for this travesty.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

HomerinNC
I feel for her, but what if someone broke into her car and stole her children?

Well it wouldn't be hard considering the key was in the ignition, obviously doors were unlocked too... Thats pretty much begging someone to steal the car, or even worse the kids, i can't wrap my head around that.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

That would have been my biggest worry

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

HomerinNC
reply to post by Shana91aus

That would have been my biggest worry

Mine too! Stuff like that happens alot its really sad. Thats something that should have been at the top of her mind, yes theres the dangers of the heat and them or atleast the little baby dieing from that etc but like i said in another post thats worst case scenario, you don't hear of it happening often but children being kidnapped and cars being stolen with kids in them that stuff happens too and it happens alot that alone should have stopped her from making the stupid move of leaving them in there, I hope that makes sense! It does in my head not so much in my words though! Lol.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Maybe people need to be more aware of their options. This is a very sad thing.

In my state, you can sign up for state paid daycare based on income, but most people do not know that they will also pay for care while you are looking for a job!

Another option, if you were so desperate may be to contact the YMCA or other women's shelter. I know there are certain occasions when our local Y offers free care, and I imagine they would find a way in this situation.

Community Action would be the very best resource in my area. Maybe there should be a campaign for this issue.

She made a terrible choice, but I'm so sad that her situation had to become so desperate. We were homeless on occasion when I was a kid, and I saw how hard it was on my mother at times. It is heartbreaking.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Despite what anyone else would do or wouldn't do she did it.... She could have rescheduled the interview. I hope she doesn't get the job and gets charged with child endangerment....

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
And people think we are the land of opportunity. We are trillions of dollars in debt, have more and more people on welfare or living in tent cities. Millions of people are unemployed. Companies keep leaving the country and the government wants amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants, many who are taking jobs a citizen would do. There are families living in cars and tents even in the coldest states. It breaks my heart to see such tragedy. So many people are struggling and suffering day to day in desperation. Shelters are filled to capacity and I only see things getting worse instead of any better.

In many places, the homeless are kicked out of areas. People are told it is against the law to feed them. What the hell? People need help and they need it now! They needed it a long time ago. My heart goes out to this poor woman. I just wish she wasn't so overwhelmed at the time and would have thought things out more clearly.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
This is all our own doing!

Men should be men. Open the door for our women, get up off a seat for the elderly, work hard for our family so our women don't have too.
A woman is the foundation of family unity. Women should be able to mothers not slaves like the system has directed us all to be.

That's right, bloody slaves is all we are.

I don't want to get into the (women have a right to work also crap) women also have a right to mothers.

Why have children them hand them to the state to be brought up?

Money? Well that's the trap. Keep them in debt, have them live beyond their means and keep them keen to serve as slaves for what, revenue, taxes, socially excepted, status.

The whole world backwards.

Now that's off my chest I feel worst that before.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Trollsmustdie
This is all our own doing!

Men should be men. Open the door for our women, get up off a seat for the elderly, work hard for our family so our women don't have too.
A woman is the foundation of family unity. Women should be able to mothers not slaves like the system has directed us all to be.

That's right, bloody slaves is all we are.

I don't want to get into the (women have a right to work also crap) women also have a right to mothers.

Why have children them hand them to the state to be brought up?

Money? Well that's the trap. Keep them in debt, have them live beyond their means and keep them keen to serve as slaves for what, revenue, taxes, socially excepted, status.

The whole world backwards.

Now that's off my chest I feel worst that before.

Bahaha thanks for that I needed a laugh before snooze....

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
There is no excuse for putting those precious children in that sort of danger---none.
The heat is only a part of the danger, leaving them to fend for themselves in an unlocked car in a city known for a high crime rate is "sad"? Not sad, it's criminal.
"It wasn't like she was going into a crack house." What?!! What difference is there---she left two babies unprotected!!! It makes me wonder about what other dangers they face because of her inability to think coherently.
Was she planning to leave them in the car while she worked had she gotten the job for which she was interviewing?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Ummmm, you don't leave young children in a car, alone.

If I have to spell it out i'm sorry for you.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

kimish

Ummmm, you don't leave young children in a car, alone.

If I have to spell it out i'm sorry for you.

No need to feel sorry for me...none at all. I'm quite aware of the dangers of leaving young children in a car.

You equated the situation to her IQ. You missed the point. It wasn't that she was too stupid to know better, she was desperate and obviously did not have the resources most of us are accustomed.

I don't agree at all with what she did but in my opinion it's not an issue of her IQ as you stated. Her actions were stupid....Yes! I will agree on that. Not only stupid but reckless and dangerous as well.

Even the most intelligent people with high IQ's can make stupid mistakes and decisions.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

AnteBellum

I wonder if Arizona has that wonderful welfare law that takes away your benefits if you don't go to an interview or if you turn a job down? I would have to check not that it excuses her actions. I still wouldn't leave babies/toddlers that age in a car alone even in beautiful weather, but it might give more reason for her desperate actions.

If she was only interviewing to keep welfare and had no intention of getting hired then she would have brought the kids in with her. That would definitely be an interview buzz-kill.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by WhiteAlice

You raise a very interesting point. Perhaps she could have called and requested another time for the interview. If the employer chose to do so, great! If not, then they likely wouldn't have been very considerate towards her as an employee with children anyway.

I don't know...this whole story is very troubling to me.

I agree and I agree with many of the posters that it is a troubling reflection on the desperation of our times. If she had tried to reschedule on the basis of her children, would that have meant just another job that she didn't get? If the employer didn't work with her, then it definitely would've reflected on their attitudes but how common are those attitudes becoming in this "employer's market"? One thing that I'd be really curious to know is how many jobs she potentially lost because she couldn't find sitters for two young children. If there had been a pattern, then that could potentially explain a possible, very deep desperation behind her choice and a very, very troubling picture for the state of things today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join