It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother leaves children in car for a job interview-gaining public support

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

CALGARIAN
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I'd bring them into the reception area at the absolute worst situation, never leave them in a car. 6mo and 2? She's nuts

She might as well have not shown up at all then....which was also an option she could have chosen instead of leaving them in the car.

I don't agree with what she did...it was very dangerous given the age of the children and the hot temperatures.

She would have been better off not showing up at all than to show up and leave a toddler and a baby in the reception area. Both choices would have ended up with the same result. Not getting the job.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakal26

Personally, I have never had to do questionable things to make ends meet. I've been very blessed in raising my children and I am extremely grateful. More than words could ever adequately express.

I was the child that had to endure the questionable decisions....which is why this story touched me in a very deep way.

I saw my mother struggle to care for us, I saw her go hungry so that we could eat. I saw her do things that are unspeakable...just to make sure my sister and I were fed, clothed and housed.

That is the part of this story I can relate to on a personal level.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I know this isn't how we conduct normal society today. But throughout the ages women have generally remained with there infants even when hunting in some places. I think it's called papoosing them. This did cause harm to the infants though in long durations.
And I'm not implying that she should have done this to go to an interview.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

It does raise the question that if she did get the job, what would then happen with the kids if she couldn't get childcare for an hour so she could go to the interview?

I understand her desire to find work and I applaud her for that, but at the same time the choice she made in trying to find that work is very dubious and there is always another way than leaving your kids in an oven of a car and especially such young ones.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
There was a time where things far "worse" than this were ubiquitous in child-rearing, in fact most children were left on thier own for very long periods of time in the past. Walking long distances to school in the heat and cold, ect.

We survived, although modern american society would probably have a collective stroke if they knew what kids got up to once upon a time, before the "safety brigade" took over.

As long as the windows were open it's not that big a deal, and it's a bit of a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Keep the children safe and starve, or take a risk to feed them.

Desperation will push anyone much farther than they believe.
edit on 7-4-2014 by TurtleSmacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

watchitburn

My folks left me in the car for hours at a time, in the summer and the winter. We all turned out fine.

But a two year old and six month old? I think even I have to call that unacceptable.

Then again, I remember being passed back and forth from the passenger seat to the bed of a moving pick-up truck, on the highway. I couldn't have been more than three years old, so yeah whatever.

Times have certainly changed my friend.

I agree, at 2 years old and 6 months, it's beyond risky! No matter the situation. Personally, I couldn't do it under my current situation and circumstances....I just couldn't and wouldn't. Period.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
As a mother i couldn't do that, living in Australia though temp's can get very warm, there has been quite a number of infant death's due to people leaving their babies & small children in cars and even though that is worst case scenario alot of other bad things could happen!!!! its just not worth it i can understand her wanting to get employment to support her children but there's absolutely nothing more important than the childrens safety that should have been her number 1 priority, how is she supposed to work if she can't even get them babysat for an interview? As for leaving the key in the ignition if she really felt that was neccesary which i find just mind blowing & stupid then she could have atleast left the aircon on for the baby that was sweating and hysterically crying, so sad I don't support her actions at all. I hope she learns from this and realises her kids safety comes first.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

You raise a very interesting point. Perhaps she could have called and requested another time for the interview. If the employer chose to do so, great! If not, then they likely wouldn't have been very considerate towards her as an employee with children anyway.

I don't know...this whole story is very troubling to me.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If she couldn't find someone to watch the kids for one interview, how would she find someone to watch them with a full time job? I would rather go on welfare than to risk the lives of my two babies. You hear too many stories of children being left home alone while parents work, children who are too young to care for themselves. Anything could happen to these kids.

I feel horrible that this woman is in such desperation, but that is why we have welfare, to care for people who have little ones and no other options to care for them.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

My problem with this situation is how people are oh so willing to help AFTER she makes national news. This goes for all those stories you hear where people raise all kinds of money after the fact.

Nobody wanted to help her before she chose to leave her kids in a hot car.

I do understand her situation but there is really no excuse or reason to leave two children in a car alone. What if the baby died from heat exhaustion? Then what? Would that interview be worth it then to her? I feel bad for her situation and she made the wrong choice. Hopefully she can get on her feet and make better choices in her life so she doesn't end up where she is now.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The society always "sympathize" the business.In this case ,it's a zero-sum game for family vs business interests.She selected the business interests,and got sympathy.
It's so greedy that many people want family and business interests simultaneously.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

AnteBellum
reply to post by jude11

I know this isn't how we conduct normal society today. But throughout the ages women have generally remained with there infants even when hunting in some places. I think it's called papoosing them. This did cause harm to the infants though in long durations.
And I'm not implying that she should have done this to go to an interview.

Not really relevant in this day in age but, I see where you're coming from.

My 'oh my...how the times have changed.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

My problem with this situation is how people are oh so willing to help AFTER she makes national news. This goes for all those stories you hear where people raise all kinds of money after the fact.

Nobody wanted to help her before she chose to leave her kids in a hot car.

I do understand her situation but there is really no excuse or reason to leave two children in a car alone. What if the baby died from heat exhaustion? Then what? Would that interview be worth it then to her? I feel bad for her situation and she made the wrong choice. Hopefully she can get on her feet and make better choices in her life so she doesn't end up where she is now.

Thats so true its always after! Ill bet people she knew were all like why didn't you ask me too babysit? aswell because i find it hard to believe she just knows no one at all not one friend or family member.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I would like to see more people evaluating themselves and deeming themselves not fit to reproduce (at least yet).

From the moment a child is born he or she already has numerous obstacles to face in life. It is unfair to bring a child into an already competitive world without being able to equip them for what is ahead. Not even occupying the right state of mind to nurture and love that child.

This is how much I value life, I would like to see it at it's best and not the product of ignorance and selfishness.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Night Star
If she couldn't find someone to watch the kids for one interview, how would she find someone to watch them with a full time job? I would rather go on welfare than to risk the lives of my two babies. You hear too many stories of children being left home alone while parents work, children who are too young to care for themselves. Anything could happen to these kids.

I feel horrible that this woman is in such desperation, but that is why we have welfare, to care for people who have little ones and no other options to care for them.

So....you contend that she is better off on welfare?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I dealt with this very problem when I was responsible and the custodian for my younger brother.

He was actually my step brother but, my sister and I eventually became his guardians.

When he started becoming rebellious and troublesome...no one would help.

He had to commit a crime before we could get the help and support we needed.

We were still basically children ourselves but, we were responsible for him and yet, couldn't get help until he broke the law.

Does that make any sense....to anyone???

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
There is another post about a guy who accidentally hit a child and was beaten up. I wonder why she wasn't beaten up?

Since no one but her and the kids were there it would seem no one should have an opinion. That said, there was a time in our history where this would be somewhat frowned upon but okay to do if you took the right precautions. The "what if they died" notion is not relevant because they did not die. Of course this is the great defense of the self righteous in their path to judgment - "what if?"

This country is full, and i mean full, of people who have become the self righteous majority. If anyone, I mean anyone, endangers a child they should be killed on the spot based on the horrendous sensibilities of the population today - can't figure out how the guy who hit the child lived. This kind of "we all know the things we can be perfectly self righteous and god like about" and of course this is one of them. It so easy and so intellectually lazy and emotional simple to be judgmental on those who are not you, that I fear we've gone to far to turn back. We have actually gotten worse then the days of the witch trials or the scarlet letter - far worse.

Everyone should ignore the judgment here, but if you have to ask yourself: if I wasn't perfect, super perfect, god like perfect, how would I handle a situation of this sort?

Everyone coaches a perfect game when the are not the coach, everyone scores the winning basket when the do not play, everyone makes the perfect moral judgment when they do not have the dilemma in front of them. No one learns anymore, they just "know" how it is supposed to be and failure to do things right the first time should lead to death on the spot. Sense no one is perfect one has to wonder how those who judge always make the right call?

To judge is the easiest, laziest, most feeble minded of things to do. Judging, especially based on news stories, is so easy that is can't even be seen as useful on any level, and it surely can't be seen as some crowning achievement by those who sit in front of their computer and judge (especially not a achievement by those who beat up the man in the accident). To accept and understand another, another who is not like you, is the hardest thing to do - that is why so few do it, as they just can't be bothered by the effort.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric

Night Star

So....you contend that she is better off on welfare?

I suppose welfare differs from state to state, I don't know. Years ago, a woman would be given help in finding employment and also allowed something toward day care. So yes, in this case, I believe she should get help from somewhere. Beats having to risk your two babies dying.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
When I was a able to have children, my husband and I chose not to. We struggled financially for too many years and did not want to be taken care of by welfare or have our child go without and have to struggle as well. We had no one who could care for the child while we worked and could never have made it on one income.

I don't know the woman's background. There must be a father of those children. Does he pay child support at all? Could he or one of his family members provide child care while the mother worked? I don't know. I just know that I could never have left two babies in a car alone for any time at all. Other parents have done this and ended up returning to the car to see their child dead. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I don't condone what she did. But I believe she did what she thought was best. I read that she was homeless looking for work. The temperature that day was in the 70's and she left the windows cracked. Again, I'm not excusing her behavior but she's damned if she do or damned if she don't..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join