It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother leaves children in car for a job interview-gaining public support

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
news.msn.com...

Hopefully the link works and I placed it in the right forum.

I find this story fascinating for many reasons. You have a struggling mother trying to find gainful employment.

She gets an interview that could help not only her but, her two young children as well.

The problem: She has no one to provide childcare for her kids so that she can attend the job interview.

Her solution: Leave the children in the car while she goes to the interview.

Result: She ends up facing abuse charges for leaving the kids in the car.

Keep in mind, this happened in Phoenix and most here are probably aware the temperatures in Phoenix are quite high even at this time of year. The windows were cracked about an inch or so which is probably what alerted others to the screaming 6 month old baby in the back seat along with a two year old sibling.

It seems that many people are sympathetic to this woman and she is gaining many supporters. On top of that, about $90,000 have been raised in her support.

As a mother, I'm appalled.

As a child of a mother who had to do equally questionable things to make ends meet for me and my sister, I'm torn. Granted times have changed drastically since I was a child but, I can still understand to a degree why she did what she did.

I am really, really interested in hearing what others here have to say about this story.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I'm sorry, I could never leave a 2 year old and a 6 mth old in a 100 degree car alone.
It is sad that many are faced with this type of situation but she could have created a much worse one by doing what she did.

She deserves the support from others willing to give, it may raise awareness in the end.
Very sad situation some in this country are in.
edit on 4/7/2014 by AnteBellum because: add

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Perhaps this is an example of desperation over riding common sense?

Being it was in Arizona with the temperatures as they were, I am feeling for the safety of the children!

Kind of a catch 22 we find ourselves in, in this crazy ass world that is just getting crazier isn't it?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I'd bring them into the reception area at the absolute worst situation, never leave them in a car. 6mo and 2? She's nuts

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I saw this story pop up on my fb (yes, I use that site...atrocious in the eyes of many ATSers...lol) a few days ago.

I signed a petition (probably does nothing more than give data mining material to "them") the other day, in support of her.
I think you said it all when you admitted to doing "equally questionable things" to make ends meet.....

This is NOT a situation that deems taking her children away. She was not neglecting those children, she was trying to survive.....and keep them alive! And safe (what some are ALL about)

As the child of a single mother, who I watched nearly starve (at times) because my father wouldn't provide.....(until we got a "leg up")
I sympathize with this woman.....I commend her!

Any that are judging and demanding her children be taken have NO idea what being in her situation is like. They might also be a bit naive about the "motives" (questionable to say the least) of those seeking to take those children might be.

Obviously, she wants a better life for her children......right?
Give this woman a chance (and so many others like her) watch society change, practically overnight...

(Oh...and get rid of the "over-lords"...that might help too...just sayin)

edit on 7-4-2014 by Jakal26 because: (no reason given)

link   

AnteBellum

I'm sorry, I could never leave a 2 year old and a 6 mth old in a 100 degree car alone.
It is sad that many are faced with this type of situation but she could have created a much worse one by doing what she did.

She deserves the support from others willing to give, it may raise awareness in the end.
Very sad situation some in this country are in.
edit on 4/7/2014 by AnteBellum because: add

Neither could I....I think it really just shows how desperate this woman was to do something so reckless and dangerous for her children.

Sad times we are living in....it makes me feel so grateful for how blessed I have been while raising my two boys.

link   

My folks left me in the car for hours at a time, in the summer and the winter. We all turned out fine.

But a two year old and six month old? I think even I have to call that unacceptable.

Then again, I remember being passed back and forth from the passenger seat to the bed of a moving pick-up truck, on the highway. I couldn't have been more than three years old, so yeah whatever.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Leaving a child (or an animal) in a car in Phoenix is such a bad idea. I don't know how many deaths are reported each year due to doing just such a thing but seeing the reports of it were a pretty frequent thing when I lived in AZ. I don't see how she couldn't have known that was an incredibly dangerous thing to do and the car had reached 100 degrees. Just the ages of the children, too, are really far too young to be left unattended, period. Dangerous situation all around and sure, she could've gotten the job and gotten off food stamps but ended up with dead children in exchange. I agree with the charges against her.

The fact that she had no other option to do the interview, though, IS tragic. Being a single mom does present a lot more difficulties than can be imagined and especially if one lacks a support network, which this woman appears to be lacking. I feel sorry for her in that aspect. Instead of people throwing money at her, though, I'd much rather see the problem get addressed so that women like her actually have another option. She endangered her children. Period. Maybe a drop in center for single parents on food stamps with use limits or something. Or maybe being able to feel like you can say, "I can't find a sitter, can we reschedule?" without fear.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Indeed..

The article doesn't mention if she is a single parent or not, but regardless surely the father could have helped, or her parents, or a friend even if they had to go with her, it's only for an hour.

Other things can be done than leaving such young kids in the car. My own partner had an interview the other day yet she doesn't drive so I gave her a lift and played with our 3 year old boy in the green area outside the building for 45 minutes and had a great time in the sun. There is always a way.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

seeker1963

Perhaps this is an example of desperation over riding common sense?

Being it was in Arizona with the temperatures as they were, I am feeling for the safety of the children!

Kind of a catch 22 we find ourselves in, in this crazy ass world that is just getting crazier isn't it?

Completely agree! Which is what fascinated me about this story....the whole catch 22 situation.

I'm glad the children were okay. This woman may be facing abuse charges but, she is lucky she didn't lose them both to the heat.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I believe she's a great person who has just effed up. She could have taken the kids with her into the interview- I don't understand her logic.
In Australia jobs are a dime a dozen, so I can't really comment on the job stats of the US. But I recon if she took the kids in (here in Aus) she'd have a better chance of getting a job than leaving them in the car.

She was probably worried if she had them with her she wouldn't get the job - which at the end of the day she was getting to support those kids.

Choices in life are hard. She made the wrong one but on good terms which is unfortunate.

What's the weather like in Arizona anyway?? Would it have been stinking hot or what?

People do strange things at times to make things happen for the greater good.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I wonder if Arizona has that wonderful welfare law that takes away your benefits if you don't go to an interview or if you turn a job down? I would have to check not that it excuses her actions. I still wouldn't leave babies/toddlers that age in a car alone even in beautiful weather, but it might give more reason for her desperate actions.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

If totally agree with this, maybe she could have had a friend look after them (even if it was just staying in the car with all the windows down or something) while she was in there. No disrespect- but if she was unemployed then I'm sure she would know others who are without a job that could have minded the kids for an hour or two?
edit on 09pm04uAmerica/ChicagoMonday1990 by samuel1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

stumason
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Indeed..

The article doesn't mention if she is a single parent or not, but regardless surely the father could have helped, or her parents, or a friend even if they had to go with her, it's only for an hour.

Other things can be done than leaving such young kids in the car. My own partner had an interview the other day yet she doesn't drive so I gave her a lift and played with our 3 year old boy in the green area outside the building for 45 minutes and had a great time in the sun. There is always a way.

Agreed! IF!!! She had someone to help her! Some of us take for granted the family and friends we have. Perhaps this woman didn't have anyone to help her at that time?

Anyhow, it is a sad situation no matter how you look at it. If she sat on her ass collecting welfare, people would be mad because she didn't work. I just wonder how many of those folk would condemn her for trying so hard even though she put her children in danger?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Desperation overrides common sense at times.

A man is desperate for some food, to bring something home for his kids. His desperation overrides his common sense and he goes and robs somebody, or steals something.

I don't condone what she did, they certainly shouldn't take her kids away though, but some form of "watch" would be nice to appease the masses, have her someone check up on her and her kids or something.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i do not know temp she left them in but going by other peoples comments i,m guessing hot.

well thats where it ends,you do not leave children in a burning hot car no matter what the reason.

take the children in with you and explain the situation,sure in this day and age most employers would be sympathetic towards it.

don,t get me wrong i see how she was put in the situation but she surely has to know it was never going to be the best idea.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

a picture is worth a thousand words
here for all you judgmental people
walk a mile
desperation boulevard maybe just a click away for any for you
edit on Monpm4b20144America/Chicago25 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
How does one look their two year old in the eye and leave them to their own defenses out of site? Is there any circumstance where it is possible? You never ever lost track of your children when they are that age.

I am sorry for the lady that she could not find anyone to ride along with her and stay with the kids, I'm sure that she must have tried, but at the point where she walked away and left them in the parking lot, that's where any parent with any sense at all would have turned around. It's absolutely impossible to leave a two year old alone for any length of time, well out of ear shot at the very least.

I couldn't even really fall asleep on the couch for a few minutes while my daughter was playing on the floor and I consider myself a very lenient parent.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

She had to Do what she felt was necessary. Period.

In our history, mothers would leave babies alone to hunt, scavenge etc. It's called survival. These Days, surviving isn't easy but she is trying. It's not as if she left them alone to enter a crack house. What else could she Do?

Blame her...Blame the times.? I choose the times.

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Sad this story is the state of the country is not good. I am on the fence on this one. I feel for her as should we all. You never know what it is like until you walk in her shoes.

What are the reasons it is getting so hard to survive should be on everyone's mind.
edit on 7-4-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join