It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading Through Threads With 100's of pages in MINUTES!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

that is a cool application.

i like to listen to audio books and read the book at the same time. it is a fun way for me to read. will try this link on some things i'd like to read.

thank you for the thread.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Flux8
Wow, that really hurt my brain! I lost track after the third or fourth "paragraph". I can't read like that. I guess I'm more of a Gestalt reader. I wonder if someone would be able to apply formal logic in this way, or would all kinds of fallacies just slip right past into your subconscious. One could slip all kinds of stuff past you with a non-sequiter as the break.

Ummm,.. No thanks

irony....after reading the other posts, this is the one I agree with. I'll take the time, with the way things are going these days, I'd rather be accurate, and know the fine details, than fast, and miss something important.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This doesnt work as well for me.

As another poster mentioned I like my inner dialog. I consume text like a sirloin steak that was hand fed baby grass and massaged with herbs and oils, marinating in its own essences then slow cooked over heated bead coals with slices of garlic crushed sea salt and cracked pepper. This method as effective as it is would be analogous to showing all that into one mouthful and washed down with a jug of diet coke..bleh!.

No, I'm going to enjoy the world created by imagination and take the time to smell the articulated flowers in my minds eye that the writer of stories has weaved for me. After all it would be an insult to the artist to not take the time at least to immerse oneself in the art.

We live in a world of ever increasing pace and instant gratification its nice to take my time now and then.

But to each his own.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I love to read and had a high reading comprehension at an early age - in second grade I was already at an eighth grade level and could also read upside down, almost as well as right-side up. (That's the end of my bragging rights though! lol).

I'm at the 700 WPM on the Spreeder now, and that seems to be just about good for me.... I've just started experimenting with more than one word at a time.

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

does it have a narrator feature?

2nd line

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I find it really interesting just discovering one's base speed. I read super fast and in chunks apparently..I'm still playing with it but I don't see a real need for it personally. Though it makes me think of sitting in school and how painful it was listening to everyone read out loud. Most kids were really slow and this shows me a little into why that might be. People seem to read one word at a time and not see multiple words. I never could tell if I was advanced or they were just slow and how that reflects on how effective teaching kids to read is.... Anyway, I learned a bit here.

If I don't want to read something though, I usually just tap on the text and highlight the entire thread page, then hit "speak" and let the iPad read it. Though I don't use that often it is helpful if I have a headache and can't bear to read tons of text.

Good find! I'll bookmark it.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Wow, I'm surprised that worked!

As a test I cut/pasted Wikipedia's overview on The War of 1812 set the reader at 800 words per minute. While I thought I retained very little I had a co-worker skim it and ask me 5 questions - I could answer all 5 (at least partially)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Serdgiam
How interesting!

I was taught to read in "blocks," rather than word by word, so maybe that changes my experience...

But, I felt like I was constantly waiting for the next word to show up and it felt completely lifeless and limp (subjective, obviously).

I ended up reading through it "normally" quicker than with the program as well.

Funny how differently our brains can work!

Not sure I understand what you are saying.

The program can go as fast as you want it to, and in whatever chunk size you want. The default is 300wpm, with a chunk size of "1" word at a time. That isn't meant to challenge you at all, it is meant to be a "base" which you have to adjust to your own reading speed.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Now that´s a nice tool. I tested it, english is my second language and I got to 425, 450 is to fast for me with inner voice.
What I find curious is this:

When I read books in german, I do this kind of reading without the inner voice but only if it is something technical, I noticed I drift into this reading behavior fast when it´s not something stimulating my fantasy. What bugged now me was that when I did the spreeder I noticed that inner voice can keep up until 425 but some words are not "spoken", but I know them, understood them and even had time to think about this while still on track and reading on, inner voice flowing on.
When I get over 450 the inner voice hinders me to get it all and scrambles the information flow. Way above 450, around 625 - 675, depending on the text it just flows into my brain. ( ) ! and other sentence marks are disturbing then but I still can follow.

Just curious, or "verschickt"
edit on 9-4-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

I dont read on a word to word basis, so the program isnt comfortable for me to use.

At 300wpm, I felt like I was constantly waiting for it to catch up (I figured there was probably a speed setting, dont really care).

I was able to read faster normally than with the program. Not everyone will be the same. Great program for those it works for, and not every brain operates on strictly the same fundamental concepts. I had kind of guessed it wouldnt challenge people, given that it is an ACCESSIBILITY program that is designed to do the exact opposite.

IOW, this program looks fantastic for some, I prefer not to use it. Simples!
edit on 9-4-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Taupin Desciple

FreeWill

Alright. I get it and it's very interesting. But how do you copy an entire thread so you can paste it into the text box?

www.spreeder.com...

Hmm doesn't really help, ATS needs some form of 'print view' option for its threads, ideally so you can view an entire thread, for example a long one such as the disclosure of the moon landing hoax thread, all as one a SINGLE web page. You could then selext all the text at once and paste it into this App. Be handy to do this anyway for searching and printing (i know that's so 1999) purposes.
edit on 0920142014Wed, 09 Apr 2014 12:14:36 -050012pm409WednesdayAmerica/Chicago by doorhandle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Ok I guess I'll be one who doesn't like this. lol

I wanted to know how this worked so I copied a thread and pasted into the box...So not what I expected but I can see that for some it is helpful.

Personally I have always been a speed-reader. I started when I was a kid because I wanted to read as many books as the library would let me take out in a day. No joke. lol I taught myself how to read fast and still comprehend what I was reading.

This is a cool tool for those that need the extra umpf to read faster but for me it kind of hurt my head.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Wow! What a great find. Thank you for posting this link.

Talk about pure information download! 650 is perfect. I am looking forward to seeing what I can get up to.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I wanted to bump this, with all the news coming out, with links that need to be checked, I am using this to get as much info as I can, and damn it is helping.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

I do this "chunk" reading sometimes, on the contrary, I tend to do it novel readings. But if you do this on long reads, your brain will flush the information.
There is a theory that the normal brain can hold up to 8 chunks of information, some people can hold more but those need more iterations to get it to the short-time-memory. If the information can be connected or compared to something already known it get´s faster into the short-time-memory and after a while, if the information is requested again, it enters the long-time-memory. This is true for learning, of course experiences and such go another route.

I think there is something to this theory.
edit on 15-4-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I needed to come back to this thread and add in some information.

First.. a *HUGE* thanks to NRE. This was an incredible thing she found and while such things have been around, I'm sure, I hadn't seen one until NRE found this to share. I can say..it made an enormous difference for me, immediately..I just couldn't say anything sooner, as some of those I am graded by also have accounts on ATS. So....it's an interesting position I'm in at times for what can be said when I know it's being said right TO an instructor as well. lol...

Anyway... I had a paper due this past week. A term paper, in fact. Big deal....letter grade changing stuff for any college course and this one was no exception for points it was valued at. I was all set for Fatalism...and really, I'm not kidding..that was my topic..until the nature of the term came to rear it's ugly head. It seems...I couldn't use it after all. A few details I missed early on for rubric issues (grading specifics) and caught at the last moment...err..yeah..last moment.. We won't even touch what got dumped for research and sourcing at that stage.

So..what does this have to do with NRE's find? Well.... (Close your eyes if your seeing this Zach..it's not for you..
) I found myself with a 1,500 word paper due, with academic journal AND book requirements for sourcing as a minimum..and less than 48 hours, then, to go from a cold start. (Momma said there would be days like that, right?)

Having already spent some time with Spreeder..It triggered something for making a level of reading possible beyond what I'd done before....and I'm one of those who read enough to seriously cuss the cost of paperback books as a weekly budget drain. Overnight..I managed not one, but TWO short (19th century style writing) books and a lengthy academic journal article ..plus 5 web sources ..to make 2,000 words of report that scored an A.

NRE... Thank you... I would have made a paper which passed, given the catastrophic need to change the whole focus at the end ...but I never would have made a paper worthy of an A..and DAMN sure, not read those 3 sources, start to finish, with a confidence I could brief back what I'd read if the instructor asked me to show I had.

Few things we do or share on ATS ever really supply feedback, in my experience. Few of us who try, ever really know how much (if at all) our efforts have ever helped anyone else. So, it's even more important for me to have come back and shared this. In this case, the effort literally changed how this course turns out for semester grade...and likely changed how I do many things going forward.

Go NRE and Thanks to Spreeder!!

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Since this has been on my subscription list, and was near the bottom (why can't myATS list three or four times as man subscribed threads? that'd be cool), and I hadn't gotten to it yet, I finally did the Speed thing. Upped it to a pretty high rate, and kept with it for only about 10 minutes, and it has really effected my brain to a nice extent. I'm imagining what it'll be like to spend an hour (or, better yet, 90 minutes -- the brain has lots of patterns which exhaust out at about 90 minutes) with it. I'll have to cut and past some long items in there.

But, yeah, thanks for the thread, and this is a way to bump it as well (both for others to see and to pop it up near the top of my subscribed myATS list).

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join