It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading Through Threads With 100's of pages in MINUTES!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for posting it here on ATS. Now I'm off to improve on my reading skills.

S&F for the OP!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I feel silly asking, but how do you use the android app?

I try to load a file up and nothing seems to happen?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
In elementary I learned to suppress the inner Dialog that goes with my reading,

to this day I can average a 500 page novel in under 3 hours.

Its why I switched to all digital, I used to have stacks of books everywhere.

It is a useful technique to learn, its cool that they have tools now to teach that, I had to just sit there and beat it into my head that I didn't have to read the words aloud in my mind.

ETA

Another advanced technique people may have seen,

Taht poelpe dnot need the wrod to be in porepr oder to raed.

So if you extrapolate that to just glancing at the first letter and last, while breezing over the middle jumble, you can also add to the increase in reading speed with practice.
edit on 7-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Wow, that really hurt my brain! I lost track after the third or fourth "paragraph". I can't read like that. I guess I'm more of a Gestalt reader. I wonder if someone would be able to apply formal logic in this way, or would all kinds of fallacies just slip right past into your subconscious. One could slip all kinds of stuff past you with a non-sequiter as the break.

Ummm,.. No thanks

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

FreeWill

Alright. I get it and it's very interesting. But how do you copy an entire thread so you can paste it into the text box?

www.spreeder.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is awesome and will check it out soon for threads and other reading.

Thing is, on forums i read the last post first and scroll up...keeping in mind what are in quotes so i dont read the same thing twice, just remember the quoted posters name. It is fun way to read posts and keeps my mind sharp.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This is so cool! I'm going to use this for almost everything. I just found out in my recent trip to the optometrist that I have an eye disorder called convergence insufficiency which makes me a slow reader since I tend to lose my place a lot and can't fully absorb what I am reading. This would definitely help me for when I don't have my lenses
Thanks for the new bookmark!

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
When I read I don't repeat the word in my head, but I do have to understand the meaning. My mind is slow. I frequently have to reread a paragraph more than once to get its meaning. When I was in HS, I read a lot slower than others. My problem is I don't have a fast memory and have to take my time, so I don't get lost.

You know how some books in school you had to read more than once? That's what I mean, except I have to do that for almost every book.

I've reread a couple dozen books after leaving them for several years. I still enjoyed them. Again, it's partly because I forgot them. Same deal in my classes at college. After a year or two, I forgot almost everything I learned.

Another thing is we change as the years go by and our reaction to a book we read in the past can change. Just have to forget some of it. If I could remember every book I've ever read perfectly then I wouldn't need to reread them.

Not saying I can't crash-learn (I had to read probably 10-15 chapters one night for a final). However, there's nothing enjoyable about that.

Honestly, I hate long threads with a passion. It's a gut reaction. Whenever I see mods combine threads I want to grab them by the neck and squeeze.
edit on 8-4-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I love this.

I've been keeping a keen eye on Spritz over the past few months and have also been using Sprint Reader on the iPhone.

I got some strange results with Sprint Reader. I started to "read" Alice in Wonderland, only yesterday in fact, to see if my brain could process the story and build a good image in my head at 300wpm. I done it after a 12 hour night shift and just laid down with my phone propped up, scrolling through the book like crazy. I started falling in and out of sleep and must have had my eyes slightly open because I began to incorporate the book into my dreams (the kind you get that make no sense and are fleeting thoughts when you're sat in front of the TV refusing to admit defeat to tiredness). Alice in Wonderland is proper effed up...

I was surprised at how easy it was to follow the story. I got lost a few times yeah but just scrolled back a bit, I blame it on the tiredness anyway. After a while my eyes tend to go semi out of focus and it almost feels as if someone is actually verbally reading the words to me. It's quite a pleasant way to scan through a novel.

I was skeptical at first and thought that the emotion involved in reading would be removed and had thought that it'd only work for factual learning books & information cramming. I was wrong.

Next Test: To see if I can learn the Haynes manual for a Honda Civic Type-R and figure the best way to mod it mechanically.

Maybe it could be used to induce OBE's? I'll bet that someone does this soon.

S&F

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
That's pretty awesome, honestly. I set it to 725 wpm, but my inner voice kept up with the words somehow.

I've always felt a little stifled by having to do a monologue of what I'm reading inside my head, like it's slowing me down.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, that was a bizarre experience.

Fantastic idea though! Even if my eyes go a little weird after a while.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

benrl
In elementary I learned to suppress the inner Dialog that goes with my reading,

to this day I can average a 500 page novel in under 3 hours.

Its why I switched to all digital, I used to have stacks of books everywhere.

It is a useful technique to learn, its cool that they have tools now to teach that, I had to just sit there and beat it into my head that I didn't have to read the words aloud in my mind.

ETA

Another advanced technique people may have seen,

Taht poelpe dnot need the wrod to be in porepr oder to raed.

So if you extrapolate that to just glancing at the first letter and last, while breezing over the middle jumble, you can also add to the increase in reading speed with practice.
edit on 7-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

I did as well. Did you learn this at a private or public school? Just curious because I learned it at a private school and was surprised when I transferred to public school in the 5th grade, that they didn't teach it. Having to read along with other kids in the class was pure torture.
I can read a 1,000 page book in about 5 hours. So that seems to come out to about the same. Unlike you however, I HAVE to have a hard copy. I don't like the digital e-readers at all. Yes, I spend way too much on books.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I too have seen spritz and cannot wait for them to start implementing it into software, I think that they released it out to developers at the end of last week.

Spritz Reader

I am quite dyslexic and although I don't find reading words difficult it is the keeping track of where I am on the page, I can end up reading the same bit several times (that is about the time I get bored and give up) with this I have non of the problems.

It is all about switching the voice off inside your head and understanding rather than reading, its strange (well it is to me) you get to the point where it is just going in and you are understanding. I can read quite easily up to 1000wpm which is mental.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I even copy and pasted your OP into it.

It's a fantastic idea. Anyone know where you can buy shares in Spritz? I'm willing to bet that they are going to be the benchmark for the concept. Revealing how they've researched ORP's (optimal recognition points) in words. They tend to go about it slightly different and seem to have quite a bit of backing.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

NoRegretsEver
I have not written a thread in about 6 months, but when I saw this I wanted to share. There have been threads written about an app that can help you to read novels in hours, but its really hard to come by, and it is available for cell phones, but was wondering if there was one for a computer... and Viola! There is.

I have been working with it for about a week and I love it, its as simple as copy and paste, so you can read those awesome threads that have literally 100+ pages in a small amount of time, or even those posts that seem to go on forever.

So here it is Spreeder

BTW its not as fancy as the other, newer one, but you can copy and paste what you want and I find that very helpful for ATS forum reading

Peace, NRE.

Darn it! The one for the iPhone5 is requiring me to download ioS7 which I have been avoiding but now am going to have to this weekend once I can back up all my photos.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
That site is the goddamn devil.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Thanks to the OP for linking to the Spreeder site.

I'd never heard of the app or the approach. Just reading their sample made the utility of it crystal clear to me. It seems tailor made for the sort of thing one must read but not for pleasure. I'm still going to listen as my inner voice reads novels to me but for technical stuff Spreeder seems perfect.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
If you want to read fast try a good old fashion typing class. They will have you typing on one sentence as you are reading the next in your head.

I remember in 7th grade we were typing faster than the same text could read out load and we had some very fast speakers/readers . We were taught to read a sentence at a time instead of a single word at a time.

edit on 9-4-2014 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I wasn't even going to click, but when I did, it was a great find. Thanks for the post. I will be using this on the regular. 5 words at 400 works best for me. Lets see how my "training" goes.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I've read all of the posts for this thread and didn't find an answer to a question about reading threads/posts with Spreeder!

How do you copy a thread/posts with ease? Copying the whole thread would be real messy and copying individual posts seems like a lot of work and hardly worth the effort. What is my old brain missing here?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join