It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder: We Want to Explore Gun Tracking Bracelets

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Your not the only one that does this. I don't own a safe but I keep the ammo hidden and away from my rifle. I keep my rifle hidden too. I don't even tell my friends where its hidden and when they ask to see it I give them the excuse that its too much hassle to get it out to show. Basically they only see it while we're at the range. I also trove the bolt and hide that someplace else too.

That being said I have meet plenty of gun owners that although they live alone they just leave everything laying around, which is sorta irresponsible in my opinion.

Finally this gun bracelet thing is stupid because most gun owners know how to take apart their weapon completely to work on it. It's very easy to modify or remove stuff from the sear or trigger assembly once you've tinkered with them a few times. Just don't shave down the sear with a dremel too much. Seen a guy turn his semi 1911 into a cyclical 1911. Scary. He wasn't even trying to do it.
edit on 10-4-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So now some government >cleric< wishes to treat people who would exercise their constitutional rights like a convicted drunk driver or felon on parole ( not to say being convicted by a jury of fellow morons really means anything at all)..

How quaint is that?,...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NonsensicalUserName

RFID chip RFID schmip...

Just getting everyone on board to get a safety bracelet would give the authorities the location and type of weapon, ammo is pretty much already tracked, and unless you live way out in the woods they can even predict how much ammo one might have on hand from purchase history.

Re-loaders are the next target, just watch.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

neo96

ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER: I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get past those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe by making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

A cell phone is something a person might use that they talk to, and the government tracks, and reads it's text messages,

But who cares right !

I don't know how to help you on this.....But I will try.

Yes...You "Talk" to a cell phone...

The safety technology that they are discussing here is a different kind of technology.

The Gun and the receiver are not literally "Talking" to one another...The gun does not say "Hey Bill...is that you"?

The term "talk" is used in the general tech. communication sense...

Like the button on your keychain that opens your car door "talks" to your car..

NOT like your texting on your cell phone..

Your keychain "talks" to your car lock..it only transmits a primitive signal in the 315 MHz range good for a few yards..

For gun safety technology it would be even more limited by design and would require actual contact.

The gun and the bracelet are not literally "talking" like you do with your cell phone?

WOW..

Puhleese....He did not propose "tracking" like you claim...no more than the government is tracking you every time your open your car door.

It is precisely AGGREGIOUS BS like this that HURTS DEEPLY the credibility of those that share your sentiments.
edit on 10-4-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

vor78

Indigo5
Of course they realize this is not actually tracking technology, but rather safety technology to prevent, for example a child using his parents gun ...they just DONT CARE...

Lies are useful to those without a moral compass.

When all else fails, smear the opposition. Got it.

WTF? I am not smearing the opposition...I am pointing out reality. Do you throw a tantrum when people explain the world is not flat?
The Headline is outright BS. It is not "tracking" technology anymore than your remote keyless entry...actually this gun safety tech by design requires a much weaker signal or contact than keyless entry.

Geez...some crazy ass ignorance and paranoia around here.

If you don't want people calling BS...then don't post OPs full of BS?

DENY IGNORANCE

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Actually, we know very little about what Holder wants incorporated into this technology. It could be similar to that Armatix technology I posted earlier, or three, five, ten years from now when the government really decides to push it, it could be more invasive. Hard to say. But if you're going to accuse people of having no moral compass because they have concerns about this technology, don't throw a tantrum of your own when someone calls you on it.
edit on 10-4-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

beezzer

HauntWok
reply to post by vor78

You hit the nail on the head.

This idea is indeed stupid. For exactly the reason you state. People will put the bracelets in the same shoe box they store the gun in.

But it's an idea.

Wrong.

Wrong on so many levels.

My firearms are stored in a safe.

My ammo is stored in another safe.

Betcha I'm not the only one that does this.

I love to hear that. Good on you.

Now...can we agree that stupid people buy guns as well? What can we do to limit the number of kids killed every year cuz mom or dad leaves their loaded glock in the ever-so-predictable nightstand beside the bed?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

vor78
reply to post by Indigo5

Actually, we know very little about what Holder wants incorporated into this technology.

And I was beginning to think you were incapable of being honest. Glad to see you come around.

vor78
It could be similar to that Armatix technology I posted earlier, or three, five, ten years from now when the government really decides to push it, it could be more invasive. Hard to say.

No it's not hard to say. He is discussing Tech that is designed and manufactured by the gun manufacturers, not DOD or CIA.

The gov doesn't own a factory to incorporate the RFID Tech into the assembly line. He is talking about researching the effectiveness and getting gun manufacturers to more widely offer the technology.

Honestly...I understand paranoia...but thoughtful logic has significant value to.

BS others is ugly, but BSing yourself seems even worse.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Holder needs to not only be removed from the AG office, he needs to be placed in prison.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The Headline is outright BS. It is not "tracking" technology anymore than your remote keyless entry

That is 'some' lie.

The US military has a vast store of supplies and equipment around the world. Keeping track of all that stuff has always been a challenge. In World War II, the US Army kept track using IBM punch cards and electric accounting machines external link (EAMs).

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

Well today, radio frequency identification (RFID) tags have replaced punch cards and RFID readers and computers have replaced the EAMs. The RFID tags work like “wireless bar codes” that record, track, and manage the supplies and equipment of a modern networked military

The technology already exists, and is currently being used.

Of course the really 'good stuff' is 'classified'.

Anyone dismissing the article in the op is clearly NOT 'denying ignorance'.

They are embracing it.
edit on 10-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

beezzer

HauntWok
reply to post by vor78

This idea is indeed stupid. For exactly the reason you state. People will put the bracelets in the same shoe box they store the gun in.

But it's an idea.

Wrong.

Wrong on so many levels.

Nope your not.

That is SOP on military bases as well.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Taxpayers need to put tracking bracelets on all in office. Taxpayers also need to monitor where all the money goes. Hey Eric, don't forget who you work for!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

minusinfinity
I know my opinion won't be popular on this website but I don't care.

If you own a weapon and use it legally why do you care if somebody 'tracks' you or whatever?

If you plan to stage an uprising or rob a bank or do some other stupid thing with your weapon that is the only reason you should worry.

If you plan to hunt or go target shooting then I don't think you have much to fear.

I look at the state of this country and I think it's time to crack down on some of the lunatics who own weapons. I know, I know if I'm worried about the criminal owning a gun I should go buy a gun. (rolling my eyes.)

By that logic if I worry about a suicide bomber I should strap bombs to my ass and blow him up first. Or what about the airline hijacker, should I take control of the plane before the 'terrorist'?

Would you care if the government decided to track what sort of books you read? After all, many evil acts were inspired by books and if you are not a terrorist, you shouldn't mind.

I tell you what, for public safety, let's mark every gun owner with an easily identifiable mark, lets use something that is distinct and easy to see. How about this:?

You really want the state to monitor and track law abiding citizens because they MIGHT commit a crime?

By that logic you ban household chemicals because someone could make a bomb out of them or regulate kitchen knives because a 16 year old kid might take one to school and start stabbing.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Indigo5

beezzer

HauntWok
reply to post by vor78

But it's an idea.

Wrong.

Wrong on so many levels.

I love to hear that. Good on you.

Now...can we agree that stupid people buy guns as well? What can we do to limit the number of kids killed every year cuz mom or dad leaves their loaded glock in the ever-so-predictable nightstand beside the bed?

Shrug. More children die from stupid parents leaving household chemicals accessible to small children. Are you ready to regular bleach as well?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

As it's been pointed out SEVERAL times in this thread. These aren't tracking devices, these are devices that link a gun owner to the gun so that the gun will not fire without the device.

It won't work, as been previously stated.

But hey, nothing like good ol Godwin's law when reason fails right?

"I don't like it therefore they are Nazi's and I'm a Jew durring the holocaust!"

Way to respect over 6 million people who died pointlessly.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

HauntWok
reply to post by NavyDoc

As it's been pointed out SEVERAL times in this thread. These aren't tracking devices, these are devices that link a gun owner to the gun so that the gun will not fire without the device.

It won't work, as been previously stated.

But hey, nothing like good ol Godwin's law when reason fails right?

"I don't like it therefore they are Nazi's and I'm a Jew durring the holocaust!"

Way to respect over 6 million people who died pointlessly.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I was responding to someone who supported the concept of tracking devices and tracking citizens who hadn't committed a crime.

The way to respect those who died in the holocaust, including several of my relatives, is to do everything possible to keep something like that from happening again. Way to completely miss the point

Invoking Godwin is for people without a rational argument.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Which is exactly what you did.

Of course many of the people that are against this idea are the same people that have a smartphone in their pocket right now. Not like it doesn't have a gps tracker in it.

h no, let's worry that our guns will be able to be tracked! Wait, let me check this text first.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

HauntWok
reply to post by NavyDoc

Which is exactly what you did.

Of course many of the people that are against this idea are the same people that have a smartphone in their pocket right now. Not like it doesn't have a gps tracker in it.

h no, let's worry that our guns will be able to be tracked! Wait, let me check this text first.

Not at all. First of all, you might want to look it up because apparently you don't understand its definition. I didn't inoke Goodwin, you did.

Secondly, I was pointing out that the concept of government tracking law abiding citizens has a very unpleasant and harmful past. Those who refuse to learn from history will be forced to repeat it. Intelligent people learn from history and try to avoid repeating the same painful lesson. So, are you for all government tracking? I guess you also must be for the Patriot Act, NSA, drones, tracking Muslim American citizens etc? Or do you only agree with governmental intrusiveness if you personally dislike those who it is being intrusive upon?
edit on 11-4-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Then hack said device,disable your weapon and they have you...don't you think these things through at all?
You would no doubt say it's paranoid of me wouldn't you?
YOUR perceptions are skewed to me as are mine to you,that is normal I trained as a human predator.
Good ,bad whatever it's what I did.I'm telling you what I know as I have learned it in LIFE hands on not from media or books.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join