It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My pre 911 trip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
My dad was an amateur pilot years ago, we used to take trips here and there and everywhere. It was quite a bit of fun being able to just fly on a whim to wherever, whenever and have a rental on the tarmac once we arrived. Some time ago he sold his plane and his hobby, I think he did this because it was easier for him to do then to just tell me I couldn't take the plane, alone. I was getting pretty good at flying (it's very easy) and using the radio (hardest part) but I was also reaching that age where he knew it was only a matter of time for that question to come up. He was right!
Anyway, several months before 911 we flew to Boston from Central Jersey Airport and partially due to that trip, I later went to the Twin Towers and Winter Garden (palm trees in Manhattan?) to sightsee, only 2 days before the incident on 9/9/01.
I have been in the process of cleaning up my files and I found my pictures from that day we flew.
The images do not do any justice to the feelings that go behind them. For many years I pondered what if, why? Seeing these pictures made me relive that day and those other day's all at once. Numb now, I can't help but remember a time where things were so very different, in all our american lives.
Now it remains with me just like a scar does, in my mind.

I thought some would like to again see what life looked like, before it all changed for us.

I hope you enjoyed them!

AB
edit on 4/7/2014 by AnteBellum because: stupidity

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Simpler, freer times.

Funny, how one incident that killed 3000 people, resulted in.

Invasion of Iraq,
War on Terror,
Drone strikes,
NDAA,
Patriot ACT,
NSA Spying,
enhanced interrogation,
ETC...

Memories like yours are long gone...

How is it again that the terrorist haven't won?

Its hard to see,

We live in a different nation, all because we cowed to the fear of what MIGHT happen.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing these. It is always fascinating to see pictures from the past and look at how things have changed over the years - either for the better or otherwise.

One thing you did say though, caught my attention:

AnteBellum
For many years I pondered what if, why? Seeing these pictures made me relive that day and those other day's all at once. Numb now, I can't help but remember a time where things were so very different, in all our american lives.

It isn't just "American lives" that were affected by that fateful day. Let us remember the millions of Iraqi and Afghan civillians who's lives were just as horrifically and irreparably turned upside down by military actions as a result of that day. The millions of service men and women of the "coalition" who went to war as a result of that day and never came home - men and women from countries 'allied' with America. The families of those fallen soldiers who will never see their loved ones again, who have also had their hopes and dreams shattered as a result.

It is easy to forget those not directly caught up in terrible events, but there are always others affected by such things.

I don't wish to detract from your thread, or to derail it in any way. Certainly I do not want anyone to take my comments above to start a conversation about "911 was an inside job" or otherwise. The whole series of events was a travesty, and a sorry time in human history. Hopefully, though, we can look to the future and make this a better world if we all work together and strive for peace - not fight for peace, but work for peace.

Thanks again, for sharing your pictures.

Also, I'd like to say I'm a little envious of the fact that you had such an amazing opportunity to fly as you did. I've long dreamed of being able to do something like that. Perhaps one day I will, but for now, there are other things occupying my time.

Best wishes.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I was just cleaning some files of my own.

Thank you for sharing these pictures. They are breathtaking. It most-definitely was a different time before 9/11. It's gotta be creepy that you were there just two days before.

Either way, it will be something you will remember vividly for the rest of your life.

edit on 7-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Oh the days before 9/11 when one could bring a genuine claymore sword from Scottland on board a flight, carry-on.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Thanks for sharing your pics, memories and thoughts, very cool.

As an American I miss the pre 9/11 U.S.A. How everything changed in one day is unbelievable. I guess it could get worse but I sure hope it doesn't.

new topics

top topics

join