It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep sea life, just HOW do they withstand the water pressure???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Do deep see creatures explode when brought to the surface?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Have you ever seen the movie, The Abyss? In it, the main character dives to the bottom of the ocean using a special suit that contains oxygen rich LIQUID. He litterally drowns inside the suit, but since the special liquid mixture contains the oxygen he needs for his lungs he can basically breath and maintain the same pressure as the outside water force. Amazing moving!

The Abyss

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The make up of their physical anatomy does not allow there to be any pressure because the water flows through freely similar to the latest umbrella modification with the cover and holes so the wind does not do what happens to an umbrella with strong wind or simply like a bottle under water with no cap.
edit on 7-4-2014 by mrtoidclover because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

mrtoidclover
The make up of their physical anatomy does not allow there to be any pressure because the water flows through freely similar to the latest umbrella modification with the cover and holes so the wind does not do what happens to an umbrella with strong wind or simply like a bottle under water with no cap.

Good point. I wonder if a plastic bottle with no cap just sinks to the bottom and isn't crushed. If so there must be jillions of them down there.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BendingTheTruth

A good movie, and if someone hasn't seen it it's worth the watch. Just try not to read about it or a plot summary, it's one of those movies best seen "cold" and let it unfold. As well as a good example for this thread, thanks.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Is the Pope catholic? I don't know the answer to either of those questions, but I'd think the fish or whatever they call those creatures would just be a mass of goo by the time it got even half way to the surface, as would the Pope.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

The correct answer would be no, but they would die

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Whales and other marine mammals that can survive at the surface and make really deep dives without ill effect are what impress me.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I wonder if a plastic bottle with no cap just sinks to the bottom and isn't crushed.

More than likely eaten and probably enjoyed too that is if there are no what people call taste buds.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Some fish that I have caught while bottom fishing in the Atlantic Ocean tend to have their stomachs blow out their mouths when brought to the surface.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

butcherguy

symptomoftheuniverse

Some fish that I have caught while bottom fishing in the Atlantic Ocean tend to have their stomachs blow out their mouths when brought to the surface.

You are one of the people on ATS who live up to your user name! From reading about this topic from the links provided and link surfing, I think it's the lungs that blow out of the fishes mouth when brought to the surface. EDIT: I'm wrong again, see butcherguy's answer next....

edit on 7-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Aleister

butcherguy

symptomoftheuniverse

You are one of the people on ATS who live up to your user name! From reading about this topic from the links provided and link surfing, I think it's the lungs that blow out of the fishes mouth when brought to the surface.

No. I examined them when we cleaned them. Their stomachs are forced out through their mouths by their swim bladders. The air in the bladders expand, but the stomach is the part that is forced out.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

butcherguy

Aleister

butcherguy

symptomoftheuniverse

You are one of the people on ATS who live up to your user name! From reading about this topic from the links provided and link surfing, I think it's the lungs that blow out of the fishes mouth when brought to the surface.

No. I examined them when we cleaned them. Their stomachs are forced out through their mouths by their swim bladders. The air in the bladders expand, but the stomach is the part that is forced out.

Thanks for the correction. Have you ever come upon one of the creatures which were new to biology? I would think that would be quite a find.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Aleister

butcherguy

Aleister

butcherguy

symptomoftheuniverse

Thanks for the correction. Have you ever come upon one of the creatures which were new to biology? I would think that would be quite a find.

Sorry, but I never caught anything but ordinary previously classified (taxonomically speaking) fish. Is taxonomically a word? The spell checker says that I spelled it incorrectly.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I would assume that it is all about equalizing the pressure. I wouldn't think they would have any portions of their body that were filled with large pockets of a gas. Likely the gases are dissolved in the tissues or something. I am not really sure, but as I said, I would think that there is nothing there that could "burst," like a vessel would. How their bodies are able to maintain equal pressure I do not know, but surely if the outside pressure from the water was greater than the inside pressure, something would give way. So they probably don't have any rigid pockets inside them that would have to withstand all that force.
We know they exist, so there must be an explanation to how they exist, obviously.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
simple
on the surface you have fat fish...as you go deeper you get flat fish...
simple alphabetic pressure sheiding

obviously the letter " L" is not pressure sensitive

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The answer to the question is, relative pressure.
For deep sea fish, the bodies develop under pressure, so the pressure is ambient. They will die if brought to the surface, the lower pressure allows for disolved gassed to out gas.
Oh and to the poster who mentioned flat fish , wrong flat fish are evolved to living on the bottom of fairly shallow water.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

never underestimate the power of the letter L buddy

On their 1960 descent, the crew of the Trieste noted that the floor consisted of diatomaceous ooze and reported observing "some type of flatfish" lying on the seabed.

en.wikipedia.org...

eta

The measured depth at the bottom was measured with a manometer at 10,916 m (35,814 ft) ±5 m (16 ft)

edit on Monpm4b20144America/Chicago24 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Reading all of the answers as they come in, and checking out the sources, and my mind still can't understand how any of these mechanisms can stop, say, two miles of water weight from crushing everything below it, especially the delicate filmy tiny-detailed flimsy creatures like are pictured in the OP's links to two previous threads showing these little guys. Water is heavy! Or is it? Maybe it's not heavy, and is just a fluid that creatures move within. When I swim underwater I can't remember now if I feel any of the weight on me or not. So like I said earlier, I have to wrap my head around it, and thanks for all the explanations.

Those links to the two threads again, both have amazing photographs of the most amazing sea life:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It's a much more simple answer than people are thinking... they evolved that way. Simple as that.
These creatures cannot live up here we can't live down there, we all took different evolutionary paths. As for the science and biology behind it. They don't have hallow bone structures, they are almost non existent or extremely dense, yet flexible. They don't have any mammal traits, or insect traits, they have been isolated for so long it would take another certain amount of years that got them there to evolve like all other creatures of the sea.
This is a good example of how and why we can't live down there. We have cavities and such that would complicate things. So take a look at a sperm whale and then compare it to these creatures that live way down in the depths at all times.

Deep-diving mammals.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join