It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonic forces and horror movies/death metal.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h
reply to post by demus

I'm sure sepultura is not among "those" bands.

seputura is mild metal enjoyment.

Actually they are among those other bands as they are considered Death Metal.

sepultura being or not being death metal could be discussed (but not in this thread I hope)

but I am sure the OP wasn't talking about "these" kind of band.

he mentioned the likes of Canibal Corpse and similar.

you would agree that Sepultura uses quite different lyrics and overall music style.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Krazysh0t
Stop judging a person by what they sing and write about. Most musicians put on an act for the public and live COMPLETELY different lives privately.

Question - Where do the lyrics come from that they write?
Folks may not be living their dark fantasy lyrics while at home,
but the lyrics come from their imagination ... right? That's inside them.
The lyrics are a window to the imagination of the writer of the lyrics.

Sure, some people have more twisted imaginations then others. But the key here is, are they acting on these claims? Are they actually DOING these things they are singing about? If not, then it's just an exercise in exploring a warped imagination.

Do you think the dark fantasy of rape and murder are inborn in all (or some) humans?
Or do you think that other negative energy forces are influencing the imagination?
It's a basic psychology vs theology question.

I think that all humans are born with a certain level of curiosity. That curiosity could cause them to mentally explore something that they would never act out in reality. The morbid question, what would it be like to be the bad guy? To just lash out, consequences and morality be damned. Heck it could even help people cope with things.

Some say that dark forces from outside a person can influence their behavior.
Having encountered a few evil spirits .... I agree.
Some say that the lyrics are the basic human Shadow Archetype coming forward.
Having a psychology degree ... I agree with Jung on that as well.

edit on 4/7/2014 by FlyersFan because: punctuation

Maybe, I'd have to see some proof of that myself though.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

demus

Krazysh0t
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I wouldn't leave my children around Michael Jackson. He didn't sing lyrics about death and violence. Stop judging a person by what they sing and write about. Most musicians put on an act for the public and live COMPLETELY different lives privately.

it's about lyrics and music, not about musician's private lives.

I don't know why you mentioned Jackson at all.

On record: Michael Jackson will always be among the greatest.

Read the post I was responding to. The poster was saying that he wouldn't leave his children with the people who write lyrics like that and I was giving a counter point of a musician that I wouldn't let my kids spend time with that doesn't write lyrics like that.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

demus

Krazysh0t

I wouldn't leave my children around Michael Jackson. He didn't sing lyrics about death and violence. Stop judging a person by what they sing and write about. Most musicians put on an act for the public and live COMPLETELY different lives privately.

it's about lyrics and music, not about musician's private lives.

I don't know why you mentioned Jackson at all.

On record: Michael Jackson will always be among the greatest.

Read the post I was responding to. The poster was saying that he wouldn't leave his children with the people who write lyrics like that and I was giving a counter point of a musician that I wouldn't let my kids spend time with that doesn't write lyrics like that.

ah sorry, I thought he was saying that he wouldn't leave the kids with the music/lyrics.

still, don't touch Michael...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by iSomeone

Interestingly enough during that time my brother brought that stuff into the house all kinds of demonic activity also followed. Including an attempt of my older brother to murder my parents with a knife. My twin brother and myself intervened and prevented his attempt. But I thought it was no coincidence that one of the songs I would always hear him playing talked about murdering your parents.

The problem I have with this is that your brother may have had these types of feelings long before this music and the fact that he listened to this music it gives you something to blame his actions on.

I can tell you that I have listened to some of the darkest of death metal and have been around many bands that are in this genre when I was growing up and none of them advocated killing people in real life.

I will say I am sorry to hear about what your brother tried to do, but blaming that on the music he listened to is well to me just wrong.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by demus

sepultura being or not being death metal could be discussed (but not in this thread I hope)

but I am sure the OP wasn't talking about "these" kind of band.

he mentioned the likes of Canibal Corpse and similar.

you would agree that Sepultura uses quite different lyrics and overall music style.

The problem is they are all in the Death Metal genre. Sepultura does have songs that are just as warped as anything from any other Death Metal band they just have other influences that they sing about.

In the end they are Death Metal.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

We shouldn't leave our children around strangers, period. I'm not trying to compare Michael Jackson with a death metal band here. My point is that there is a lot of sick stuff being sold as ''entertainment''. Not just any ''sick'' stuff... But stuff about raping women and killing babies...lyrics are written from the pov of a serial killers and rapists. Are you goint to tell me you are okay with this?
edit on 7-4-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

OK, let us leave genres on the side for a while.

question:

would prolonged (often) listening of death, pain, suffering, hate inspired lyrics combined with the sounds and overall dark mood of the music could have some negative influence on the listener even if he is not taking the lyrics or music literally or seriously?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Death metal was created as a reaction to mainstream music. That includes lyrical content. You would never hear songs about gore and murder on the radio. As a result it became an obvious choice when it came to lyrical themes for the genre. And if the creator's of this music are possessed how do you explain the progression of Chuck Schuldiner, widely considered to be the father of the genre? Sure he started off writing songs like Scream Bloody Gore but by the time Sound of Perseverance came around he was writing stuff like this:

I must say I love me some Death.

It really is interesting how their music has changed over the years especially when they were like this at first.

Here is a little interview with Chuck...

RIP Chuck...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

@March of the Fire Ants.... In fact the heaviest album I like would be Obzen by Meshuggah (often called tech death metal). The lyrics seem pretty demonic but its actually referencing Buddhism and discussing how people sabotage their own peace, hence Obstructing Zen.

Obviously most death metal isn't so subtle or high brow but that doesn't mean demons did it
Again, my focus is on bands whose lyrical themes revolve around murder, rape, torture, necrophilia. There are plenty of them out there. My pov is that their material have an other worldly origin...the actual band members might be ''nice'' people with normal lives...but their minds have channeled into something that, I believe, is not of this world.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Sure. Free speech is free speech. If these musicians want to write song lyrics and sing about these things, I don't care. If they find people who buy their music and attend their concerts enough to make a living, then more power to them. Personally, I wouldn't listen to musicians such as these. That music is unappealing to me, but as long as these people aren't acting out what they are singing about, then I could care less what the content is.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

to support your cause a little bit:

Necrobutcher recalls how Euronymous told him of the suicide: Øystein called me up the next day ... and says, "Dead has done something really cool! He killed himself". I thought, have you lost it? What do you mean cool? He says, "Relax, I have photos of everything". I was in shock and grief. He was just thinking how to exploit it.

edit on 7-4-2014 by demus because: limiting the awerness

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by demus

would prolonged (often) listening of death, pain, suffering, hate inspired lyrics combined with the sounds and overall dark mood of the music could have some negative influence on the listener even if he is not taking the lyrics or music literally or seriously?

No not at all, because I have been around people that listen to this type of music religiously and they don't have the want to rape, kill and pillage anyone, because they know it is just music.

If someone doesn't understand that it is just music then they have other problems that the music isn't the reason for.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h
reply to post by demus

No not at all, because I have been around people that listen to this type of music religiously and they don't have the want to rape, kill and pillage anyone, because they know it is just music.

If someone doesn't understand that it is just music then they have other problems that the music isn't the reason for.

I said: "some negative influence" not outright evil deeds...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

@ tsurfer2000h..I can tell you that I have listened to some of the darkest of death metal and have been around many bands that are in this genre when I was growing up and none of them advocated killing people in real life.

Fans of violent death metal may not act out what they hear....my focus is on the SOURCE of the material (lyrics and album art.) I know the members of cannibal corpse are absolutely normal guys you could hang out and have a chat with....which is what makes the whole thing a WHOLE LOT creepier. If they are such nice guys...then where are those ideas for songs like ''###### with a knife'' and ''butchered at birth'' coming from??? ''Nice'' people don't come up with stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
Again, my focus is on bands whose lyrical themes revolve around murder, rape, torture, necrophilia. There are plenty of them out there. My pov is that their material have an other worldly origin...the actual band members might be ''nice'' people with normal lives...but their minds have channeled into something that, I believe, is not of this world.

Considering murder, rape and torture have all existed since the dawn of mans civilization, long before death metal ever existed; I'm going to go with the far more coherent explanation that these songs are written as social commentary and are meant to amplify the images we see everyday and show society how ugly they are.
edit on 4/7/2014 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

demus

to support your cause a little bit:

Necrobutcher recalls how Euronymous told him of the suicide: Øystein called me up the next day ... and says, "Dead has done something really cool! He killed himself". I thought, have you lost it? What do you mean cool? He says, "Relax, I have photos of everything". I was in shock and grief. He was just thinking how to exploit it.

edit on 7-4-2014 by demus because: limiting the awerness
Mayhem have had a rather wierd history. I didn't bring it up because discussing black metals noteriety would require a whole new thread. But the early norwegian black metal bands are in a league of their own. Just reading up on ''Dead'' would give anybody an idea on as to what demonic possession is about.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Here you go from Slayer on their religious background and their music.

and this ...

Seems to me it is just entertainment that they found a niche in, and not some other world force influencing these songs.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

eNumbra

sk0rpi0n

Considering murder, rape and torture have all existed since the dawn of mans civilization, long before death metal ever existed; I'm going to go with the far more coherent explanation that these songs are written as social commentary and are meant to amplify the images we see everyday and show society how ugly they are.
edit on 4/7/2014 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

members of canibal corpse for example stated that their music "just for fun", nothing serious and so on.

while I am huge fan of extreme music I cannot agree that "hammer smashed face" is very funny.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

demus
members of canibal corpse for example stated that their music "just for fun", nothing serious and so on.

while I am huge fan of extreme music I cannot agree that "hammer smashed face" is very funny.

Obviously there are some bands out there that do it, banking solely on the shock value; but as OP insists this isn't a human trait but a supernatural one, he's already come to his conclusion. I'm not going to bother arguing any death metal that is specifically stated as non-social commentary.

I don't think hammer-smashed face is supposed to be funny, but watching horror movies is fun, but not funny either. It's about providing a specifical emotional response.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join