It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Of Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I would like to here share and discuss concepts given by ‘Science of Mind,’ which is a part of the greater ‘New Thought’ movement. Most fundamentally, our thoughts, feelings, words, concepts, create our reality. They break down three basic levels/components of reality, therefore three aspects of God and three aspects to man. God is the macrocosm, whose Mind holds together the greater Universe. Man is the microcosm, whose Mind holds together his personal Universe. Man’s mind and God’s mind do not in truth differ, but Man is given free will with his mind such that he is perfectly able to believe in all sorts of limitations invented by himself and the greater culture of which he is a part.

Now, these three levels can be called spirit, soul, body. Now the spirit is Conscious mind, active mental activity. These are self-created thoughts and concepts. The second level, soul, is the subjective mind, which receives the impressions of the spirit, conscious mind, and through that reflects his reality according to the one Law of Mind, which is this second level of ‘soul.’ The spirit is ‘the father,’ which indicates its being active, creative. The soul is ‘the mother,’ indicating its passive receptivity. When the impulses from spirit are formed by the Law of Soul/Mind, the resulting manifestation is ‘body,' or 'the son.' Body is both our physical bodies as well as our overall physical reality.

Now, as for this second level, soul, law, the subconscious. There is only one subconscious mind in the Universe. It is shared by all. It is a plastic, receptive medium that reacts to and shapes itself according to thoughts, feelings, and mental images wherever they are to be found. It is one intelligence which is omnipresent in every individual’s experience of reality. The same exact power, the same exact law. All differences are due to different usage of this law, with the activity of our conscious mind. This means thoughts, feelings, words, mental images, basic assumptions underlying our behavior. The Universal Subconscious Mind responds to all of this, and according to its own singular nature reflects your physical reality back to you. It does this in exactly the same way wherever a mental center is to be found.
edit on 6-4-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

I tend to think of my consciousness as another being, for example, I have my own thoughts on something and then I'll take a moment to "consult" my inner thoughts and empathize the other side of the story. The brain is such a vast, infinite world inside your head and just getting into this sort of thing will have me spending hours thinking about it. Very good post by the way
edit on th30pm14PM0pmSun, 06 Apr 2014 21:13:21 -0500America/Chicago by StayAware because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

StayAware

I tend to think of my consciousness as another being, for example, I have my own thoughts on something and then I'll take a moment to "consult" my inner thoughts and empathize the other side of the story. The brain is such a vast, infinite world inside your head and just getting into this sort of thing will have me spending hours thinking about it. Very good post by the way
edit on th30pm14PM0pmSun, 06 Apr 2014 21:13:21 -0500America/Chicago by StayAware because: (no reason given)

That's a good perspective to take, I think. Would really help you open up to insight from your 'higher self,' if you actually allowed it to 'speak' to you in your own mind, as if externalized. Interesting.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think your definition of the conscious mind being spirit is very different than what the normal definition of the conscious mind (ego/playing character) connecting to the soul (highest version of self/player) in the unconscious mind connected to the spirit of everything receiving ki/light to intent/manifest things with.

You definition will from my point of view more confuse people that are already use these words to mean other things that have been established for thousands of years.
edit on 6-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

She gets a good look and insight into the human mind through a stroke.
If you have never seen this video, watch it,
as it will help a lot in understanding the mind.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

It's always good to think outside the box in my opinion. I'd be lying if I said we had 20% of our brain power or whatever you wish to name it. And in that other 80+ percent is, well, anything really. It could be the secret to seeing into the future, traveling through time, flying, telekinesis, or it could be as simple as better memory, healthier bodies, enlightenment and so on. A wonderful night to dwell on this subject

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

LittleByLittle
I think your definition of the conscious mind being spirit is very different than what the normal definition of the conscious mind (ego/playing character) connecting to the soul (highest version of self/player) in the unconscious mind connected to the spirit of everything receiving ki/light to intent/manifest things with.

You definition will from my point of view more confuse people that are already use these words to mean other things that have been established for thousands of years.

Well, this is the understanding/definitions of 'Science of Mind,' or 'religious science.' The spirit is the active faculty, as we are active in the thinking of our conscious mind. The soul is the passive faculty, receiving the impressions from the active faculty, as the subconscious. Keep in mind 'conscious mind' is a principle, rather than exactly what we think of as our 'conscious mind.' The principle of actively, intentionally, choicefully operating. Our conscious minds are generally limited in the greater potential of 'conscious mind' itself.
edit on 6-4-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Is it from this book?
en.wikipedia.org...

The 1998 printing of The Science of Mind has six sections, including "The Nature of Being," "Spiritual Mind Healing (Ideation)," Spiritual Mind Healing (Practice)," "The Perfect Whole," "Teachings from the New Testament," and "Meditations

By the chapters they seem to have a version of intent->manifestation healing (like Reiki) included in the book. Still think they should not redefine old concepts since it means people will miss understand each other without need. If they need new words create new words and choose their definition for them. More quantification is a good thing since it makes things less ambiguous.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

And then there were three, OP and then there were three!

Second.

Blue Wolf

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I had kind of a weird thought after watching that video again,
and then rereading the main post in the thread..

Just a freaky random theory I have about the mind knowing what I think I know.

You have

Spirit (Right Brain)
Body (Left Brain)
Soul ( The Center where the two meet and logic occurs as well as where the sub-conscious resides)

You pull energy (information) from both Spirit and Body all of the time, into the Soul.

The Soul takes these messages from these Sources and puts them into action. If the Soul is drawing more from body, it is a very "analytical" or cold entity,
( also add color here "Dark" )
where as if it pulls more from Spirit,
it is a "compassionate" or warm entity.
( add color here "Light" )
When one realizes they can be either or, or pull from both and balance themselves,
then they can make choices as to what they want to experience.

The reality is that the brain is an awesome tool,
you just gotta learn how to use it.
It does more than just think.

But not many people know that yet.
That is the point of "enlightenment"
Figuring it out.

I hope I am not way off topic, as for some reason this thread got me thinking,
what I am thinking I am not sure...lol

I have not read the book.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

LittleByLittle
Is it from this book?
en.wikipedia.org...

It's not just a book, it's a huge cult.

All cults are based on lies.

Source:
Truth and Error: Comparative Charts of Cults and Christianity - Google Books

Remember that thread: In 2 days the TRUTH will be revealed and the WORLD will never be the same......?

Well THIS cult is where it came from and the world STILL seems pretty much the same to me...

Do a search for "Science of Mind" and the word "cult" comes up in many of the results.

"Despite the ease with which it employees biblical terminology, Science of Mind is not simply non-Christian, it completely rejects and is sometimes even hostile toward Christianity. The heresy of Gnosticism, prominent in the first five centuries of church history, provides a significant part of the philosophical basis for Religious Science."

Earnest Holmes and Religious Science

The Encyclopedia of Cults - Religious Science
The Science of Mind cult Ernest Holmes
What Does Religious Science Teach About Jesus?
Is the Church of Religious Science a Cult?
(Last link dead but still available at Wayback > web.archive.org...)

edit on ApruMon, 07 Apr 2014 01:10:50 -05001am30Mon, 07 Apr 2014 01:10:50 -050020141007 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
As for the guy above ^, you can call anything a 'cult,' as if that discredits it. lol. A cult is just a smaller group of individuals that have different beliefs from the larger mainstream groups. So ANYTHING other than mainstream groups you can just say 'cult' and then act as though that means its illegitimate. lol. Anyways, it makes NO SENSE to call it a cult, because it is just a way of thinking and approaching life, and has nothing whatsoever to do with dogma or chains of command. Besides, its obvious the viewpoint of those is strict dogmatic christianity, which is completely irrelevant to anything besides strict dogmatic christianity, as it itself would say.

Anyways...

LittleByLittle

Is it from this book?
en.wikipedia.org...

The 1998 printing of The Science of Mind has six sections, including "The Nature of Being," "Spiritual Mind Healing (Ideation)," Spiritual Mind Healing (Practice)," "The Perfect Whole," "Teachings from the New Testament," and "Meditations

By the chapters they seem to have a version of intent->manifestation healing (like Reiki) included in the book. Still think they should not redefine old concepts since it means people will miss understand each other without need. If they need new words create new words and choose their definition for them. More quantification is a good thing since it makes things less ambiguous.

I don't think it really is a case of them just completely redefining and changing the concepts, though. The idea is that the development of self-awareness, the conscious mind, the ego, is at one and the same time our divine nature and the cause of our fall. Self-awareness, conscious creativity, is the divine creative spirit. Yet it is also our fall, because before its development we are naturally in harmony with the perfect divine flow of life. With the development of the individual conscious mind, we can stray by its use, but its creative potential is the divine creativity, and thus it is our divine spark and the source of our redemption. This is the meaning of the story of the prodigal son.
edit on 7-4-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Definition of cult for your purview: www.wordnik.com...

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

In this case, the charismatic leader would have been Ernest Holmes, whose education was at the Leland Power School. Leland Powers School was a school that basically taught speakers to speak really well. So what we have here is a religion formed by a guy who basically worked his way through an elocution school so he could...form a new religion. Doesn't look suspicious at all.

Let's see. RS International doesn't even load anymore but this site does:

www.new-thought-center.com...

Signatory is M. Daniel Walsh on the about page who once tried to peddle this: www.pillars-of-success.com...

This one: www.scienceofmind.com... is registered to United Centers for Spiritual Living, whose website also does not load. That's because they apparently "reunited" with International Centers for Spiritual Living (as noted here: www.scienceofmind.com... ), which is run by a Rev. Dr. Kenn Gordon whose doctorate is in divinity from...International Centers for Spiritual Living. Which, of course he spent 15 years obtaining in the International Centers for Spiritual Living....

Nah, that's not a cult at all. Weird pyramid scheme maybe, hard to say but you know it really, really reminds me of that cult from the Mentalist called "Visualize" in some ways, lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Don't not really care if it is not following the normal Christian view or not.

I am probably one of those people that will be burned at the stakes if dogmatic Christians and Wahhabi Muslim get their way since I question everything and because of it I have found proof of the spiritual world for myself.

Since I also do a little Reiki healing (not really my speciallity) on a few friends I have practical experience in chi/spiritual light flows and therefor know what the term en-lighten-ed (and the bliss) means. That do not mean I have all the wisdom an enlightened wise person can have.

Here again we come to the ambiguous state of human languages. En-lighten-ed vs enlightened. Why can't we just create enough words and definitions to really be able to have no ambiguity on what we mean. The ambiguity is just causing miss understanding and people arguing over something that could be avoided if you create more words with well defined boundaries.

If science left materialism and wanted to proved spirituality it would by using experience based understanding of the spiritual world. The knowledge of chakra:s is a perfect example of a scientific system that is close enough to how spirit(ki/flow)/mind(ego)/body(material vehicle) works to be usable to guide a person on it's spiritual growth.

I don't think it really is a case of them just completely redefining and changing the concepts, though. The idea is that the development of self-awareness, the conscious mind, the ego, is at one and the same time our divine nature and the cause of our fall. Self-awareness, conscious creativity, is the divine creative spirit. Yet it is also our fall, because before its development we are naturally in harmony with the perfect divine flow of life. With the development of the individual conscious mind, we can stray by its use, but its creative potential is the divine creativity, and thus it is our divine spark and the source of our redemption. This is the meaning of the story of the prodigal son.

I am not bashing what you are trying to communicate since on a meta level (what you are describing behind the use of words) I think you are correct. I am thinking the words they are using is going to make people less receptive of what they are trying to convey. But then I am a perfectionists sometimes.
edit on 7-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Doesn't look suspicious at all.

The same thing could probably be said for Jim Jones, Joseph Smith, Charles Manson, David Koresh, Sun Myung Moon, etc.

The bottom line is that all of these men were liars and people were gullible enough to believe them.

History has shown that cults will ALWAYS lie to you and this one is no exception.

After studying this topic for many years I have come to the conclusion that the reason for this is very simple...

All of them have a common source: "the father of all lies..."

This is more than just some delusional theory BTW, there is a MASSIVE amount of evidence that backs it up.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The New Thought movement is not a cult. I'm a member of a Unity Church. I'm a person who was raised in a traditional religion and have in the past attended churches that I do believe walk the fine line of cultism. I can't say that any were full-fledged cults because I never had a Branch Davidians type of experience or anything that extreme. But I've attended churches in my youth that engulfed me with guilt and fear. That's how many cults pray on it's members. They use manipulation tactics to keep you entwined to the church, whether it be guilt, fear, embarrassment, threats, etc. With the manipulation beings the brainwashing.

I'm not someone who feels comfortable in a church and though I have my beliefs, I'm still rather religiously open. The reason I choose a Unity New Thought type of church is because it avoids all the things I've mentioned from previous experiences. Do they use fear? No. Do they use threats? No. If I don't attend Church service (and in some cases I've gone years without attending) do they call and try to sway me back or bother me? No. They don't place strings on any member. If I member leaves the church, no one tries to stop them nor is there any resentment towards that person.

Think of the New Thought movement as the power of positive thinking. That's the basic fundamentals: Think positive and love and respect people of all kinds, including yourself.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Twisp
I'm a member of a Unity Church.

That is really interesting! Only recently have I looked into 'new thought,' which led me to 'the science of mind.' I decided, just out of curiosity, whether or not there were any 'churches' or whatever they would be called near me. I found a Unity church very near me, interestingly. I have just recently looked into all of this specifically, though it is in many ways similar to things I have thought for a while. But being new to this specifically, I wasn't familiar with 'unity,' or in what way it related to all the rest and my personal understanding. It seems as though it is all probably quite similar, based on the same principles. The one where I am, at least on its website, does specifically associate with Christianity, not sure if that's the case with 'unity' in general. Anyways, I'm not a person who has gone to any religious/spiritual services in a long time, but it just seemed that the ideas are actually interesting and agreeable enough that it would potentially be interesting to go and at least see what it's about.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

TheJourney

Twisp
I'm a member of a Unity Church.

That is really interesting! Only recently have I looked into 'new thought,' which led me to 'the science of mind.' I decided, just out of curiosity, whether or not there were any 'churches' or whatever they would be called near me. I found a Unity church very near me, interestingly. I have just recently looked into all of this specifically, though it is in many ways similar to things I have thought for a while. But being new to this specifically, I wasn't familiar with 'unity,' or in what way it related to all the rest and my personal understanding. It seems as though it is all probably quite similar, based on the same principles. The one where I am, at least on its website, does specifically associate with Christianity, not sure if that's the case with 'unity' in general. Anyways, I'm not a person who has gone to any religious/spiritual services in a long time, but it just seemed that the ideas are actually interesting and agreeable enough that it would potentially be interesting to go and at least see what it's about.

If you haven't gone to a Unity Church I recommend going a few times to see if you like it. Worst case scenario, it's not a good fit for you, you can walk out the door and never return. I believed in New Thought theory before I ever found out what New Thought was. For a long time, I kept it to myself because a lot of people still don't understand the concept and find it kooky. Maybe it is but it works for me. My foundation is Christianity. It's a seed that was planted in my brain as a child; therefore, has always been lodged in my mind and beliefs. But I've always had an appreciation for most of the traditional religions and even lack of. I always knew my beliefs were different than what I discovered in many other churches, such as, I don't believe in hell, etc. The first time I ever went to Unity wasn't for a "sermon" but a festival my church has every spring where New Age vendors from around the region set up displays etc. I went with my mother who is more of the traditional Christian faith. That day she had a psychic reading, got a tarot reading, did a past life regression and had a great time. She was impressed, as I was with the openness. In the bookstore, they sell Bibles, Korans, The Dalai Lama books, The Joy of Sex, Catholic prayer beads, The Secret, etc.

The interesting thing is that there are plenty of Atheist and even Agnostics who attend as well as devoted Christians, Wiccans, etc. People come in for the message which can be applied across the spectrum. It doesn't narrow out anyone, unless someone wants to find fault with it for their own sake. We have a lot of former Catholics who had terrible experiences under Catholicism. The people range from all sorts of backgrounds from attorneys (one runs an evening time Edgar Cayce study group at the church) to blue collared workers. In other words, it's very diverse. All are welcome.

The sermons are positive. The underling bases of Unity is Christianity. It was founded by Christians. But it's not the same sort of sermons you find in other church. They talk about Christ as a higher being and example of what man can aim to be. They pull the good out the Bible, things like love, charity, etc. You will not sit and listen to someone read the bible for 45 minutes and try to interpret the canon law. You'll hear examples that could be used in everyday living. I've been to many Unity congregations where references to Christianity were not used at all. They pull positive examples from the Koran, Buddhism, Judaism, what have you, as examples of love and appreciation. You'll never walk into one and hear gay bashing, people destined for hell, sinners, the end of times, etc. And if by chance you do attend a Unity Church and they speak of that - flee! It's a mock Unity Church and not the real deal. Unity Churches never "preach" at you. They tell stories, etc, that are used to uplift the spirit. Everything focuses around the positive, self healing, etc. Everything you think is as important and as essential as everything you say and do. They believe in the power of the mind and that the way we think affects things around us and ourselves.

It is truly the most open and accepting church I've ever attended. Since you have an interest in the laws of attraction I think it would work for you. Grant it, not all Unity Churches are ran like mine, I'm sure. There is a Unity headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri. They may be able to let you know if the church near you is a "real" Unity Church. If so, everything I mentioned should be pretty accurate about the church in your area.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
My experience and opinions on Science of Mind (all two cents worth):

I have attended two Science of Mind centers (I call them "churches", whatever), one in Colorado and one in California. I attended the one in Colorado maybe 5 or 6 times but felt that the Bible was being referenced more than any other source and far too frequently for my liking. No offense meant to those who prefer their teachings to come from the Bible, I'm speaking strictly about what is right for me.

I'm now an official member of the California church after attending services once a week for several months and participating in their weekly yoga classes and two other classes held at the center regarding personal development. Anyway, I like the week talks and the Bible is referenced now and again but so are MANY different sources. For me, this is the right environment at the right time. I'm an introvert but have found myself liking the company here.

Ernest Holmes is not talked about a lot, at either center. There are classes on The Science of Mind and in the CA location there is a portrait of E.H. on a wall, but I've never heard anyone make a big deal about him. I've never witnessed anything or anyone reference him as a leader. In fact, I've never heard anyone suggest that there is one leader or any one specific way that is right for everyone.

And that is why I like the Science of Mind environment so far. No threats of damnation, no telling me that homosexuality is wrong, that my marriage has to be approved of by the church (this happened at my husband's Catholic church), no one-and-only source. If it is right for me then let it be, if it is wrong then move on.

new topics

top topics

join