It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rover captures light source on Mars!!

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Rob48

bottleslingguy
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

I keep asking phage why the fuzzy part is at the top and he keeps avoiding the question. Maybe you can answer that?

Look at the zoomed in image. What you are calling a "fuzzy part" looks to me more like blooming of the overloaded pixels into the neighbouring columns. The bottom couple of bright pixels are surrounded by dark pixels so the energy is more easily absorbed by them: the additional energy only takes them up to a mid grey. The upper ones are surrounded by brighter pixels so the energy is added to a brighter base level and so the surrounding pixels become that much brighter. Hard to explain clearly but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Does anyone know how the pixels are addressed on the sensor? I don't know but I suspect that the overloaded pixel is that bottom brightest one and the effects are smeared upwards by the camera electronics. If the pixels are addressed column by column then this explains why the "light" appears totally vertical. As I said before, when you see an anomaly that is perfectly aligned with the pixel grid then you probably need to be looking at the camera or image processing rather than something in the physical scene.

Whether that pixel is overloaded by a cosmic ray strike or a very bright physical light source is unknown though.

But please can people stop sniping at others who don't agree with them, it is spoiling the thread.

edit on 9-4-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

I don't believe that the supposed light source would be perfectly aligned with the pixel grid. If you look carefully at the enlarged image, at the upper end of the bright area, you will see that the pixels of the left hand side are slightly brighter than those on the right.
This suggests that the elongated bright area tips to the left a bit, with respect to the pixel grid. I don't know that this proves anything.Its unclear exactly how an image artifact would affect adjacent pixels, but it does seem to leave open the possibility that a real, external light source was photographed.
I like the idea that was suggested, that an intermittent light source is involved, and whatever small delay that may exist between the right and left images was enough for one of the two to miss it.
Two cosmic ray tracks that appear in two images, a day apart, yet appear superimposed on the same spot in the terrain seems to be straining probability.
The area where the sun is supposedly glinting off something shiny looks very dark to me. Is it actually receiving direct sunlight? If not this presumably can't be a reflection
edit on 9-4-2014 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure.

edit on 9-4-2014 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

draknoir2
Sure it is. "They" are obviously paying you to cover up evidence of martian chemtrails.

Okay, you got me. Since 2009, NASA, JPL, the ESA and the Chinese have been working together to use a growing fleet of robotic tugs to steer water ice asteroids from the asteroid belt and into Mars to begin terraforming. The "contrail" you see is one of the asteroids entering the upper atmosphere and melting down to water vapor. The light on the ground was a beacon used to guide the tug. It's all very hush-hush, because in 2027, 144,000 people are scheduled to be launched to colonize Mars. That's when the plutino 28978 Ixion is expected to impact Earth.

I've said too much.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Blue Shift

draknoir2
Sure it is. "They" are obviously paying you to cover up evidence of martian chemtrails.

Okay, you got me. Since 2009, NASA, JPL, the ESA and the Chinese have been working together to use a growing fleet of robotic tugs to steer water ice asteroids from the asteroid belt and into Mars to begin terraforming. The "contrail" you see is one of the asteroids entering the upper atmosphere and melting down to water vapor. The light on the ground was a beacon used to guide the tug. It's all very hush-hush, because in 2027, 144,000 people are scheduled to be launched to colonize Mars. That's when the plutino 28978 Ixion is expected to impact Earth.

I've said too much.

Finally... DISCLOSURE!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I've made a couple of adjustments and I think I might have figured out what it is:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

draknoir2
Finally... DISCLOSURE!!!

Good news: We have a plan!
Bad news: You're not part of it.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Blue Shift
I've made a couple of adjustments and I think I might have figured out what it is:

Are you suggesting there are Romans on Mars? Shirley not...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think member AnomalysMonaLysa may have inadvertently explained the Mars lights phenomena over at the anomalies thread. These are obviously headlights!

This is the same image that has the rock sculpture anomaly. I guess they should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque!

edit on 9-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hello, excuse my English.
I have seen two similar reflections.

The first one was a tiny scratch on the camera lens and the right angle from the sun and camera causing it. only it was colorful and was shining at the same angle/direction as the scratch.

The second one was today, It was exactly same looking light like this one coming from a small fishing boat out at sea in the distance when the sun was on its way down.

My guess it's a rock with the right angle from the sun hitting it at the right time when the picture was taken.
Or something alien.

EDIT:
Is it possible to get the suns position at the time the image was taken ? if then would you not prove the angle of reflection happening?
edit on 9-4-2014 by Steve1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
National Geographic have taken their turn to give their opinion on the matter.

National Geographic: Strange Lights in Mars Photos Are Not Alien Bonfires

It turns out that both cosmic rays and glinting rocks are pretty common on Mars. They've been spotted before. Such rocks have been seen in images sent by several of NASA's Mars rovers, and cosmic rays appear in images that Curiosity sends to Earth each week. Maki said that one percent of those hundreds of weekly images might include cosmic ray-induced bright spots. But the junked-up pixels normally don't cause much of a stir. "You'll see cosmic rays every two or three days. Certainly at least once a week," Maki said. "The reason we see so many is because Mars's atmosphere is thinner: It doesn't block as much cosmic radiation as Earth's does." Cosmic rays are charged particles that fly through the universe in every direction all the time. Every so often they'll collide with something like a camera. One sign of a cosmic ray hit, Maki said, is the appearance of the ray in images taken by one of Curiosity's eyes but not the other. Glinting rocks, on the other hand, could easily reflect Martian sunlight. But it's not clear why the glimmer would appear just in the right-eye images, Maki said. He notes that one of the left-eye images is obscured, and he says it's not impossible for a glimmer to show up on only one side. "I'd probably lean toward cosmic rays," Maki said. "But I'd like to keep an open mind."

It's funny, because they rule out any alien life form but then go on to say, it could be anything.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Rob48
I'm very much inclined to think this is an image artifact rather than a real light source. Notice how the "light" is totally vertical, just affecting one column of pixels (with slight blooming into the adjacent columns).

Any time you see an alleged "anomaly" that is precisely aligned with the pixel grid, the alarm bells should ring.

I'd agree BUT if it was a light source what type of pattern would you expert? Uniformed, straight with bleeding.
I'm just playing devils advocate. It'd be one thing if it was supposed to be some other shape but light sources would surely be uniformed.

I'm with with digital Glitch though.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Capitalsource
National Geographic have taken their turn to give their opinion on the matter.

National Geographic: Strange Lights in Mars Photos Are Not Alien Bonfires

It turns out that both cosmic rays and glinting rocks are pretty common on Mars. They've been spotted before. Such rocks have been seen in images sent by several of NASA's Mars rovers, and cosmic rays appear in images that Curiosity sends to Earth each week. Maki said that one percent of those hundreds of weekly images might include cosmic ray-induced bright spots. But the junked-up pixels normally don't cause much of a stir. "You'll see cosmic rays every two or three days. Certainly at least once a week," Maki said. "The reason we see so many is because Mars's atmosphere is thinner: It doesn't block as much cosmic radiation as Earth's does." Cosmic rays are charged particles that fly through the universe in every direction all the time. Every so often they'll collide with something like a camera. One sign of a cosmic ray hit, Maki said, is the appearance of the ray in images taken by one of Curiosity's eyes but not the other. Glinting rocks, on the other hand, could easily reflect Martian sunlight. But it's not clear why the glimmer would appear just in the right-eye images, Maki said. He notes that one of the left-eye images is obscured, and he says it's not impossible for a glimmer to show up on only one side. "I'd probably lean toward cosmic rays," Maki said. "But I'd like to keep an open mind."

It's funny, because they rule out any alien life form but then go on to say, it could be anything.

That isn't what that says at all. Unless you're referring to some context you haven't provided in your post.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Miniscuzz

I'm sure that scientist was aware of everything concerning that picture or he wouldn't have been interviewed right? When asked if it was a cosmic ray strike he replied that it was a reflection.

No he didn't.

Interesting that you try to make statements that aren't true, because this comes straight from Mr. Maki..

Cosmic rays are charged particles that fly through the universe in every direction all the time. Every so often they'll collide with something like a camera. One sign of a cosmic ray hit, Maki said, is the appearance of the ray in images taken by one of Curiosity's eyes but not the other.

Then this...

"I'd probably lean toward cosmic rays," Maki said.

news.nationalgeographic.com... =Social&utm_content=link_fb20140409news-marspot&utm_campaign=Content

Or is he lying?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Way back 10 pages, I tried to locate the precise spot for the pictures - coming to 4°38'9.55"S , 137°24'11.06"E for spot 1 and 4°38'15.24"S 137°24'11.28"E for spot 2 for the rover, using NASA maps and local terrain - and then if I am honest ran out of steam. Anyway, back to these way points today on Google Mars and trying to see where they would converge (based on the hill), lo and behold - a very interesting spot:

Those wavy lines on the surface where the points converge - they look like an aerial view of some ripples, or waves? This really looks like a lake feeding into another lake at 4°38'3.84"S, 137°25'32.36"E - please check for yourselves.

The only place nearby that looks as though it has liquid is at 4°39'3.69"S, 137°26'42.59"E - which has similar waves and is marked with NASA marker as an inverted riverbed. For Comparison only

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

wonder why people are still talking about this if it is just a cosmic ray strike. Rob48 can't explain why there is a stepped gradient at the top of the fuzzy end. Are we supposed to think the ray came through the planet and hit up from the bottom otherwise why does the bottom end not bleed down? anybody come up with any examples that match this situation?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

bottleslingguy
reply to post by Taggart

wonder why people are still talking about this if it is just a cosmic ray strike. Rob48 can't explain why there is a stepped gradient at the top of the fuzzy end. Are we supposed to think the ray came through the planet and hit up from the bottom otherwise why does the bottom end not bleed down? anybody come up with any examples that match this situation?

You haven't bothered to research any examples that show it can't happen, have you? If no one's going to answer your question, maybe the subject would be served by you exhibiting some git-up-n-go and finding something.

Just asking questions at random doesn't particularly serve any purpose.

Why are there no rabbit tracks in the dirt there?
edit on 9-4-2014 by MrPenny because: don't?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Its obviously a nocturnal one of these. mars.jpl.nasa.gov... its a flock of insects. Fireflys on the horizon

Solved?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Too bad the left cam missed it.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
Its obviously a nocturnal one of these. mars.jpl.nasa.gov... its a flock of insects. Fireflys on the horizon

Solved?

your swarm, good sir. seems to bee casting a shadow, but beeware.....those little buggers sting
edit on 9-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yeah. But so is the invisible swarm in the left cam.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Aleister

Yeah. But so is the invisible swarm in the left cam.
The left cam is blind,it needs a monocle. en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-4-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join