It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should women over 50 have babies?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think its kind of selfish, when you get a baby so late, i mean this growing kid have no chance for a normal life! Its constant afflicted with his hoary parents..

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Other than the obvious health risks involved I think it depends on the woman herself,

There are alot of young 50yr olds out there now, and for some reason as life continues some seem to now stay younger longer and are almost as active well in to there 60s.
I think again it�s based on the women and how she feels.

And after all there is not much age limit on adoption! People in to there mid 60's can still adopt a young child...

I say its all about love,

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Granted, you can argue that it's selfish for older people to want to have children and that the children will have a rough go of it because their parents are older. On the other hand, I can make a pretty good argument, that, if selfishness is being considered as a motivation for having a child, we'd also have to judge the very young and poor who have children as selfish. You could just as easily say "Oh how selfish to bring a child into the world when you have no money and are too young to handle children."
Obviously, I wouldn't make that judgement. So, I think that "selfishness" argument doesn't fly.
Having a child is all about love. Young parent, old parents, poor parents, rich parents...it doesn't matter the circumstances, if there is enough love to give, the child will be happy.
And a very good point has been made that 50 isn't what 50 used to be. My grandparents were literally old in their 50s (it wasn't just my childhood imagination). They had worked hard jobs and not received proper medical care. However, today, many of us are fortunate enough to be relatively young at 50..healthwise. Mentally, I don't think there is a "young" or "old"...
joey

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
In my opinion, it should come down to personal choice.
I had my first child when I was 17, she was 16. I would NOT recommend this to anybody, but she was raised with plenty of love even though we didn't have the financial resources to provide well for her. Thank goodness for grandparents! Now that she is older, I still feel that I can relate to many of her problems going through high school (now don't get all up in arms, I didn't say I could relate to all of them, but it wasn't that long ago that I was there).
On the other end of the spectrum, my dad was 47 when I was born. We had, and still have, very little in common. I would not like to subject a child to the distance that the age difference created. However, it all depends on the person. Age is really a relative thing, and you're only as old as you feel.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by joey
Granted, you can argue that it's selfish for older people to want to have children and that the children will have a rough go of it because their parents are older. On the other hand, I can make a pretty good argument, that, if selfishness is being considered as a motivation for having a child, we'd also have to judge the very young and poor who have children as selfish. You could just as easily say "Oh how selfish to bring a child into the world when you have no money and are too young to handle children."
Obviously, I wouldn't make that judgement. So, I think that "selfishness" argument doesn't fly.
Having a child is all about love. Young parent, old parents, poor parents, rich parents...it doesn't matter the circumstances, if there is enough love to give, the child will be happy.
And a very good point has been made that 50 isn't what 50 used to be. My grandparents were literally old in their 50s (it wasn't just my childhood imagination). They had worked hard jobs and not received proper medical care. However, today, many of us are fortunate enough to be relatively young at 50..healthwise. Mentally, I don't think there is a "young" or "old"...
joey

I dont say that poor, young parents maybe underage, should have no children..Its about , that the child should have a kind of backup in his life, when its getting older...And "old" parents (for all I care..) with 50 years on the hunchback, should have a kind of experience of life..In other words: "Should we have a baby?" with 50? what going on, if the kid get into the adolescence? are you sure you can educate a child with 13 years in puberty, and you 63? Do you have enough strengh for this?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join