It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Excellent Youtube Video on Meditation -- Alan Watts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I've been watching different Youtube videos of Alan Watts's lectures for the past few days. What a master that guy was. I feel like my meditation has gotten much more profound after listening to him. If you've never heard of him, I highly recommend watching as many videos as you can of his meditation lectures. This embedded video seems to compile most of his lectures and records on meditation. Well anyway, here he is:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Sweet, thanks! Love Alan Watts and value his many teachings and books. I just read The Wisdom of Insecurity and found it profoundly applicable to our lives these days.
I meditate too and will give this a try. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I have recently been taking more time to watch Alan's lectures and have certainly gained a greater understanding of the world around me thanks to his succinct way of describing life, the universe and everything - as he understood it.

It is certainly a joy to be able to relate to what he talks about, and to learn new things through his talks/lectures, then to apply these in my life as I choose.

It is just a shame that he is no longer with us. I wonder what he would have said about todays world. If anything. Yet, I have a feeling that despite him not being with us, there are many more out there, like him, who have profound insight to share with us, and much to teach us. If only we would listen and learn.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Aww, man. His ideas on meditation are invaluable. I'm ashamed to say that I never knew about him before. Like I said, my meditation has been deep.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

I also wonder what he would've said about today's world.

I'd like to know who those people are. I'm not doubting, I'd just like to listen to them speak.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I would like to know who those people are, and to have opportunity to listen to them speak. But perhaps there are people like that all around us today, we just haven't had time or opportunity to hear them. Perhaps they haven't been given the time. Certainly, I often wonder how much those around us teach us on a daily basis that simply doesn't even register with us on a conscious level.

One such individual I learned a lot from in under twenty minutes was Jill Bolte-Taylor. You can see her talk here: www.ted.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Wow, I know exactly who she is. I've often contemplated how we assume certain things about certain people. For example, we may assume that someone's not spiritual at all because they're caught up in the dogma of a certain religion, but they may be more spiritual than all the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   

That's exactly it!

Along those lines though, it's a thought I have often had, where certain schools of thought are just like organised religion. There are 'scientists' for example. Some are so closed minded and opposed to the idea of anything 'spiritual' that they get really nasty about the topic if it is brought up - I've had personal experience here. They can be as bad as 'religious nuts' who are hell bent on there being no such thing as evolution.

Yet, what makes me laugh is that these same people often espouse the line "keep an open mind", in relation to themselves and those around them.

The people that genuinely resonate with me are those who have firm belief in what they know, but always keep in mind that even that belief could have flaws, and need adjusting at some later date, or could be totally wrong and need to be replaced with something else. That, I feel, is a state of mind that we could all do with achieving. But, it would make for a much nicer world, and that could be percieved by some to be boring...

It's certainly an interesting world thanks to all the different ways of thinking.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

I also wonder what he would've said about today's world.

I'd like to know who those people are. I'm not doubting, I'd just like to listen to them speak.

I've become a big fan of Watts over the last 12 months. He was a man way ahead of his time, who was predicting how our society was headed long before he died. It's also his wonderful and eloquent delivery of his topics that makes them so engaging to a listener. I had no interest in eastern philosophies before I stumbled over Alan's work. Now I listen to an Alan watts playlist every night sometimes being woken by the gong in that meditation video

There aren't too many people as engaging as Watts I've come across. I've listened to a few Eckhart Tolle lectures, but his voice can be a little hard to understand at times. Still there is a good video on meditation I found helpful en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Took the Words right out of my mouth. I like to Think of myself as open-minded, but ultimately the values I have been taught and drilled into me is something that will Always stay with me.

My motto sort of is ''Keep an open mind, but suspect Everything.'' Might sound contradictory but what it basically means is to not accept Everything blindly and look for evidence to support that claim. I would prefer if everyone could be correct. Or at the very least if parallell universes exist, then there is a chance of everyone being correct and thus there is no need to have religious war. Our reality might be the only one that is strictly science-oriented. Heh. Other realities might have buddhism or christianity as theirs.
Although I wouldn't want to step into any of them. Especially not H.P Lovecraft's work.

But yeah. Having an open mind certainly allows for a more varying Outlook on Life. Not to mention that it makes one rather flexible in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
well ..even if this topic is not famous here.

Without alan watts i would never have found channeling material to be of value.

Alan watts was like the "entry card" for me because he sorts out the useful stuff from different cultures...(as my avatar shows i still give him a lot of love )

So alan watts is like a gate through chaos...You dont have to study all religions. Alan Watts did...and he presents all that can be of value. At least for me he was like a "pre-worker"..

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I can't remember how I came across Alan Watts specifically, but I think it might have been in some kind of associations with trying psilocybin for the first time.

At first I was listening to McKenna, but what McKenna has in ability to think out of the box and in sheer amount of experiences he lacks a bit in applying a rational approach to these experiences.

That's where Alan Watts really shines. I am completely aware of him calling himself an entertainer, but one cannot overlook the amount of knowledge he possesses and is able to analyze, distill and put back into words so that every sentence makes you go either "of course...!" or "ahhh...".

I have his entire "Out of your mind" collection and it's quite a treat. At first I was listening to those YouTube vids, but for the love of the universe I cannot stand those vids where the uploader just had to include some "epic" music....... Watts' lectures can hold their own, that's for sure!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Yeah, I definitely feel that atheism is a religion of irreligion. Alan Watts says that religion comes from the Latin which means to bind back. And that's certainly what any belief system does. What needs to be avoided are the extremes.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I like Eckhart Tolle. I think even something as simple as Alan Watts's voice, how it resonates, I like. He's no doubt built that resonance up from constant chanting.

I'll try to get to the other posts later; I have to go somewhere.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

A long time ago, I was gonna ask you who that guy was on your avatar! When I started watching his videos, I'm like, that's the guy on Kauskau's avatar! It's weird how things work out.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

I can definitely see the association that Watts may have with counter-culturalism.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Life works with your intent...thats what we still dont understand. We still have in our mindset that life is chaotic and we are separated from everything.

But its really like that: when you have a strong intent-a desire..and let it go without expectation. Your questions will be answered. Thats physics in a way.

Not the physics we as humans know right now..
But it works.

I like that Alan Watts is present on Ats. He is also one of the many keys for new paradigm...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
thanks for sharing, really what I was needing today, nothing better than Mr Watts' voice to soothe my troubled mind!

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by athousandlives

You're more than welcome! He has a very resonant voice, doesn't he? Hahaha.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
S&F. Thanks for sharing! I haven't watched this one yet. Alan Watts is one of my personal heroes. His writings and teachings completely changed my outlook on life. Confused and afraid I looked for a voice of reason when it came to life, death, and religion. I found Alan and haven't looked back.

The real you is not a puppet which life pushes around; the real, deep down you is the whole universe. ~ Alan Watts

Eta. I too am glad to see Alan Watts being discussed here on ATS.

edit on 12-4-2014 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join