It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember XP Users! Just 2 Days Left Until XP Goes Under!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Actually played my cards right. Got a Dell Vista Business platform wiped clean for under $100Latitude E6400!

Installed Windows 7 $69.00 system disk with out all the add-ons! Still haven't used it! Could give my tower a rest someday. Only I am blind and if one looks through my glasses one could see many futures! Plus to have a vga port! Somehow if laptop go bonkers, DOS kicks in for the vga while your screen stays blank.

Google Crome seem to work real good on XP. Bug though was spending time resolving host issues. Gathering intell/info is the new way to go and everybody is doing it! Its like your phone ringing while walking throught the doors of some stores.

Last time you were Here. You bought this, that and for todays special go here! Based on uor super snoper program, We know what you need! With XP its harder to do, can't rewrite the code!

Now with MS 7 and 8.1 you have a back dook included!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

That is one of the best ways to go building it yourself! Cheaper too if you outweigh what they sell in stores! Although going to Alienwere and they make it as you see fit too also works.

Yet you lose out on learning how it actually works inside. Most problems are simple, mem card shifted, wires disconnected or a driver became croupt. Power check, wires check, bios check, now where did I put that CD?

It is the same fun as being on a computer only inside one! Like my car, house, whens the last time you checked the hood, walls of your house? Sometimes you find all kinds of stuff need
ing to be fixed yet gone unoticed.

Yet able to tear down a laptop, tower and house + car! Still do not know how to copy and paste lol.

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I switched to Linux Mint 16.

Linux Mint 16 ether Petra or Cinnamon (Depending if you're 32 or 64 bit)

Is an amazing operating system. They have advances so far the terminal is basically useless. It is very user friendly now. It's a cross between Windows 7 and MacOSX - It's just amazing - and uses barely any ram.

I'm running 2 gigs of ram on an old Compaq C-700 and people are amazed at how fast my computer is. I'm upgrading to 4 gigs of ram soon and getting Cinnamon.

PLUS LINUX IS 100% FREE - YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE - Make it your BOOT FOR FREE - and all the programs are designed FOR FREE!

It's amazing. I love it. Linux Mint 16.

Break Free from Bill Gates and Apple: www.linuxmint.com...

You will love it. The speed increase a lone blows your mind. For people who just use their computer for simple multimedia - browsing the web (I switch between Firefox and Chrome - and put adblock plus on Both, yet on Chrome I have Ghostry and Disconnectq - it basically blocks all cookies and hidden trackers)

It's amazing. Plus, Libre Office - is fully functional with Windows Office. You can save as a .doc or .docx and open .doc or .docx with no - well, with no changes whatsoever.

Instead of downloading Adobe Acrobat XI pro for making my book - I downloaded PDF STUDIO 9 (It's available in all 3 OS's, Mac, Win, Linux) and it works great.

VLC player plays any movie downloaded. Very fast. Since the OS is very 'lite' it saves so much ram for speed and video and processing.

Friends Help Friends Use Linux.

www.linuxmint.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted1984

Don't stop now! Keep going!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

infoseeker26754
reply to post by Night Star

Might as well fill us in on the pro's to your new computer. Whats different from XP to 8.1, +/- so we get the idea on what way to go if XP starts to lag some.

The best info is word of mouth! No ad's could compare at all to what someone might say after buying something. Here companys spend mill's on Ad's and forgot the Word of Mouth usage. Please fill us in on the details, could you?

Thanks!

Peace

They are completely different. For me the first things I noticed were how fast, bright and how vivid the colors were. Once you figure out how to find things. Like things I used to find on top are now on the bottom, LOL you're good to go. I am not technically inclined and know there is a lot more to learn when I have the time, but I can do all the things I used to so I'm happy.

I had dropped my old lap top computer and couldn't open and close it anymore for fear of damaging it further. It was getting slow and many sites will no longer support the old xp so it wasn't hard for me to decide to get a new one.

I was hesitant at first because so many people were saying that windows 8 and 8.1 weren't user friendly, but if I could figure out a lot on my own in the first night, anyone can!!! There are also youtube tutorials to help people. I'm guarding this sucker with my life. LOL

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

Here are some snap shops from Linux Mint

and another -

You can go to www.linuxmint.com... and download Linux for free. Then, if you're using windows, you can press "F2 or F11" to bring up the "System Restore" mode - right at start up, F2 F2 F2 F2 F2, or F11, F11, F11 a quick google search of your computer model will tell you.

So you download Linux Mint. You put it on a USB stick. 2 gigs is plenty. $6 at walmart and almost everyone has them now. Or - you can burn it "old school CD" etc etc

Then you completely erase your hard drive. You "partion it" - so it's blank, zero - nothing.

When you plug in the USB stick, after you downloaded it and after you 'CLEARED YOUR COMPUTER' so it's NOTHING - not DATA what so-ever -

You plug in the USB stick - boot up - and it'll ask you "Do you wish to boot from USB?"

Yes.

Then you install Linux Mint 16.

It's up to you if you want PETRA or CINNAMON. Cinnamon looks prettier, yet PETRA works great for those who don't have much RAM.

I'd go with Petra. If you have 4gigs of RAM, and you're running PETRA, it's light and day compared to Win 7/8 or OSx - It is SUPER SUPER SUPER FAST.

It comes loaded with all the software, and www.linuxmint.com... has even more indepth instructions if you want to print them out/write them down just to be "on the safe side"

You will never look back. No body is tracking you. No body is selling your info.

It is the best operating system.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If someone hasn't ever used a Linux distro I'd suggest that they burn a Live CD first and boot from that for a little while just to get a feel for it, Linux isn't everyone's cup of tea. If you like it you can eventually install from the Live CD if you wish, if you don't like it no problem because you haven't re-partitioned your disk drive.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Here is a PDF link from Linux Mint's website that explains step by step how to install Linux on your machine.

You can actually "test" Linux, by keeping Windows on your computer - and just booting through Linux - and seeing how you like it - but trust me, once your go Linux you never go back.

www.linuxmint.com...

The website offers the .ISO - it'll take 30 minutes to download with regular internet connection. I have "High Speed" 30MBPS so it only takes me 10 mins.

So don't worry about downloading it off torrents and all that BS - just Download the ISO straight from the website.

Follow the steps in the PDF.

and You now have the best operating system that updates almost daily since it is THOUSANDS of nerds - making your computer a TANK ON THE INTERNET yet LITE AS A FEATHER.

Viruses? Non exist. NONE. Remember when Macintosh use to brag that? Yeah. No longer.

FIREWALL? Built-in and THE BEST. No need for AVG or Norton or paying $ - Linux and all the NERDS who made it; basically made/make you STEALTH on the internet.

As I said, everything from Java, Adobe, Libre-Office ---- all things "Microsoft" has a monopoly on - well, Linux has an exact replica - just called a different name. Power Point? You've go it. It's just called Libre Point. They all save in the same .XXX so somebody using Win7 who opens a Linux Mint Power Point wouldn't notice a damn thing different -

It's the way to go.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I think this will be a big problem, as if your printer breaks and you buy a new printer the printer will not be supported. You will not be able to install the drivers.
I'm not only referring to printers, I only used printer for example.

"Hardware Manufacturer support:
Most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on existing and new hardware. This will also mean that drivers required to run Windows XP on new hardware may not be available."

Now I have had W95, Vista, Vista was and still is fine, W7, I now have a new Dell with W8, I'm going to download W8.1, but need to do a backup first.

I have worked on WsXP, but like Vista and later, my preference.

Oh yea, I had to update the drivers on my new Dell, as it would not operate correctly, till the drivers were up to date.
edit on 6-4-2014 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I like this linux site.

I'm going to drop this in a junk Gateway Vista, if I can.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Hear U on Youtube! Although one might have to watch many vid's to actually understand something; some are plain Stupid, you can Fix just about anything! I'll wait some more, and if stuff seems to become SLOW, will have to break out the laptop!

Small note: It would seem other things for XP are now showing the pop-ups too! MS Security JUST turned itself OFF! I'm waiting to see what else turns off ! One could go back in time before the last updates to XP and deleted them. Might as well turn off Windows update LOL and find a point in time before the crazy update closers files!

I just might have to learn a different OS and say Goodby to MS!

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Looked into it Yesterday, Fear Indeed! MS and DOS, some Apple is all I know!

So I take it their are drivers for everything right? I can clean install so no proplem there. Just have to change my BIOS first!

You should have a password there too! Then if by chance your wife, husband, friend of a friend can not boot your computer! Just REMEMBER that password or your in trouble! Although some do have a pin on the motherboard to override just this.

What ever happen to the word LOCKED! I know some are very stupid; so by chance you locked yourself out Okay! $59.00 suckers! But to put bypasses with other bypasses to override the word Lock, Again stupid!

Forgive me for calling people stupid -K-? lol

Peace

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OOOOOO

You First!

Remember me no copy @ paste! LOL

Fill us in Later!

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>