It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama To Sign Executive Orders On Equal Pay

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Can someone show me an example where women aren't getting paid the same as men for equal work?

Oh wait, never mind. . .

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Hopefully the good for nothing under private interest funded senate with take this hint to hart and pass the Paycheck Fairness Act Tuesday, so everybody in America that is a hard worker can benefit "Equally".

But I would not hold by breath on this one. Our congress job this days seems to be the one of oppressing the working class for the benefit of the corporate elite.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Pay in the royal palace is not under the King's control.

One should at least attempt to fix things in their own house before dictating to others on how they should run theirs.

lol

beezer, you're priceless!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Again,

Being in a union we don't have these issues.

I work along side a woman. She makes the exact same amount as everybody else.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Personally, I do not see reason, why should anyone have something against these.

There's at least one reason I can see. The US needs more "regulations" like we need a hole in the head. Maybe they should let people have a breather trying to swallow the last pile of regs Obama(care) brought into existence.

The second executive order will instruct the Department of Labor to create new regulations .

Yeah more bureaucracy is just what we need from the emperor.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Keep wishing and maybe someday it will happen.

My real point was trying to prove that equality exists. It's virtually impossible.

First of all they will not tell you what anyone else makes. Then it will be excuses like oh he went to a better school, his grades were better, he has more experience in management, he has more of the qualities we seek.

None of this which you will be able to see to tell if it's true unless maybe you spend tens of thousands on lawyers and even they they can let you go under with the wonder at-will employment (unless of course you spend tens of thousands more).

In other words, they'll lie through their teeth and then sic their legal teams on you to lie some more.

I don't know what good an order like this could actually do not backed up by anything else, like an oversight office, but here again, people will screech at big government and regulations.

No win.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

beezzer
Can someone show me an example where women aren't getting paid the same as men for equal work?

Oh wait, never mind. . .

I wonder if the White House pays for mens contraception too !

And paid pregnancy leave.
edit on 6-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Is everyone else reading the same opening post that I’m reading?

Both executive orders mirror provisions of the Paycheck Fairness Act, which Congress has twice failed to pass. One would prohibit federal contractors from retaliating against employees who share their salary information with each other

The second executive order will instruct the Department of Labor to create new regulations requiring federal contractors to report wage-related data to the government, in the hope that it will hold them more accountable for salary differences based on sex or race.

First, I wasn’t aware that federal contractors retaliated against employees that shared their salary information with each other. Of course, I was always a wage employee and wage scales were pretty public, i.e. I’m a WG-10 so I make x dollars per hour. But even without an executive order, I just can’t see how a company can legally retaliate against an employee for saying, “I make x dollars per year.” I mean, you have to tell the IRS, you have to tell the bank if you’re applying for a loan, so why can’t you tell a friend or co-worker? Am I missing something here?

On the second executive order, the key phrase there is, “… in the hope that …”
I guess we’re supposed to envision the CEO of Boeing as a Snidley Whiplash character twirling his mustache as he thinks to himself, “Curses, foiled again. Now I have to tell the government that I pay women less because they are women. People may not like that, so I’ll have to stop.”

Riiiight.

I see this “news story” as pure spin. These executive orders do nothing to insure equal pay for anyone.

Let’s see how Fox News could take the same facts and spin a different story:

“In another stunning overreach of government intrusion into already struggling small businesses, the Obama administration has bypassed lawmakers once again by dictating executive orders requiring business owners to hand over private financial data, if they want to do business with the government.

A second executive order would prevent employers from taking appropriate action against employees that leak sensitive financial information to unauthorized personnel.

Whitehouse spokesmen say that these executive orders are designed to prevent workplace discrimination, but opponents say these measures only force small businesses to lay off even more workers.”

You know, that sounded so much like a “real” Fox news story it kind of scared me.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by Cabin

Notice how this only applies to Federal Contractors?

Now imagine all of the people whom will read this and think it is for everyone......

Nothing more than an election tactic.

Plus, most businesses in the private sector are smart enough to have these things called "performance reviews" so it would be very difficult if not impossible to apply this so called law without creating a bigger log jam in our court system than we already have.

Equal pay for equal work? Equal pay for equal job performance? Not a problem with either of those scenarios.

But we all know what this is. Don't we??

Nice post, it's truly scary how so many people in this thread can be so foolish.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

FuZe7

seeker1963
reply to post by Cabin

Now imagine all of the people whom will read this and think it is for everyone......

Plus, most businesses in the private sector are smart enough to have these things called "performance reviews" so it would be very difficult if not impossible to apply this so called law without creating a bigger log jam in our court system than we already have.

Equal pay for equal work? Equal pay for equal job performance? Not a problem with either of those scenarios.

Nice post, it's truly scary how so many people in this thread can be so foolish.

Then again, it's to be expected considering the fact that liberals despise free choice and self determination.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Good lord Obama needs to be impeached charged and tried for violating the Constitution / Treason.

If congress does not pass something, it does not mean he can force it with issuing an executive order. There is a reason we have check and balances among the 3 equal branches of government.

I hope like hell the Republicans are successful during the midterms and a real effort is made to remove this runaway administration using illegal executive orders from office. I would call for his impeachment and removal now but Democrats apparently cant see passed their own efforts to stay in office.

The failure of congress to act, all parties, against Obamas illegal actions is treason in and of itself. Knowing his actions are illegal and failing to do anything to stop him makes them an accomplice.

Secondly equal pay is right up their with the equal rights amendment. Which is to say everyone is protected under the law. If a person feels they are not being paid equally would it not be better for them to actually file a lawsuit using existing state laws and go from there?
edit on 7-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

FuZe7

FuZe7

seeker1963
reply to post by Cabin

Then again, it's to be expected considering the fact that liberals despise free choice and self determination.

This is one of those weeks where this cartoon is seeing a lot of use.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

There ya go....punish those who you disagree with..regardless your ignorance. The world will be balanced via fiat

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Couple of points:

(1) Obarry is using this softball "let's use exec orders on things people will agree on" to generate tacit consent to his approach for unilateral legislation. After he accustoms people to accepting him ruling by executive order, you're going to see the "emperor's" decrees becoming far more contentious. But by then, it'll be too late for us to protest en masse against it.

(2) This "equal pay" nonsense is actually screwing women workers. How? Assume you have two candidates for a job--Bob and Jane. You value Bob's services at $10/hr and value Jane at $8/hr, and would happily hire either for those rates. Now, according to mandates from the throne, you can only consider hiring them both at $10/hr.

But guess what? No rational businessman will hire someone at more than their perceived worth.

Now the decision is a no-brainer. Obama just priced Jane out of the marketplace.

Thanks, Obama!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JonButtonIII

If your theory is the game plan, then Obama should have waited until after the midterms. Ruling by executive orders is only going to continue pissing everyone else off, and if the Republicans take the Senate like they are projecting to, those executive orders will come back and bite him in the butt.

All it does is continues to create a situation where impeachment proceedings will become more and more likely.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Cabin

President Barack Obama will sign two new executive orders on equal pay for women Tuesday, Politico reports. The executive actions coincide with "Equal Pay Day" -- the date that symbolizes how far into 2014 women must work to earn the same amount of money men earned last year.

Both executive orders mirror provisions of the Paycheck Fairness Act, which Congress has twice failed to pass. One would prohibit federal contractors from retaliating against employees who share their salary information with each other

The second executive order will instruct the Department of Labor to create new regulations requiring federal contractors to report wage-related data to the government, in the hope that it will hold them more accountable for salary differences based on sex or race.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Despite the fact the these will be signed due to elections coming up, I see these as only positive. In many fields, it is definitely an issue and these acts seem to be quite reasonable as well as having the potential of affecting the situation, whether it comes to discrimination on women or based on one´s race. Personally, I do not see reason, why should anyone have something against these.
edit on 6-4-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

There are a lot of things bad about these bills. Government interfering with pay, lack of financial privacy for both employers and employees, a set up for a new crop of lawsuit cottage industries, and addressing a problem that does not really exist.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

liejunkie01
Again,

Being in a union we don't have these issues.

I work along side a woman. She makes the exact same amount as everybody else.

As they do everywhere else with the same qualifications. You are union, so you know that if the woman had fewer years of seniority than you because she took time out to have a kid, she would not be paid the same wage for the same work as much of union pay is based on seniority and years on the job.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

TXTriker
As a woman in the workforce, I will say that it is only the woman's fault for accepting lower pay. Every person negotiates their own deal. If a woman isn't negotiating the best deal for herself it is her own fault. If she negotiates a deal that includes lower pay than a man in the same position that's her problem. The job of the employer is to fill each position for the least amount possible and the employee's job is to negotiate the best deal possible for themselves.
edit on 4/6/2014 by TXTriker because: typo
These are great points. The only thing I'd add is that when I woman goes on pregnancy leave and follows up by spending a lot of time with her children, which is very common, it is naturally going to set her career track back a bit. Women generally don't work as many hours as men over the long-term so of course their pay is going to be lower despite doing the same job. Yes they are doing the same job but they are doing it for less hours. Its the fact that part-time jobs pay lower than identical full-time jobs. It makes total sense and has nothing to do with discrimination. It has to do with less hours and the fact that women do not negotiate in the same way men do... different negotiating styles result in different wages.

I think 50 years from now women will be managers just as much as men. Gender discrimination is a generally solved problem despite pockets of discrimination that will be there forever just like discrimination exists on hundreds of issues. For example, taller people are paid more than shorter people.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

What Obarry's doing is high-risk high-reward.

He's trying to curry favor with the ignorant among us by putting into place executive orders that ostensibly benefit the people (MyRA, higher min wage, equal pay) but that actually cripple the economy further. By attempting to show the "unwashed masses" the efficacy of legislating by degree, he's hoping to built a groundswell of support for a defacto dictatorship.

Of course, those among us who paid attention in economics class and studied real history regarding how dictators rise to power, well, we aren't impressed. We're actually mortified. But the panem et circenses crowd gobbles this stuff up, and that's the woefully uneducated voter base he's relying upon to continue the demo-fascists' stranglehold on this country.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

edit on 4/9/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join