It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Parents upset over Easter egg hunt flyer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   

markosity1973
reply to post by OpinionatedB

You are correct and its not just your faith that only gets negative coverage by the media. Don't forget the catholic church that is constantly getting smashed with negative publicity also.

There is this real negative attitude amongst journalism in general. It almost seems as if its not bad news, its not worth reporting. I get tired if the fact that if its not a scandal its not newsworthy. Personally i love seeing happy stories like a documentary i recently saw of Jews and Palestinians working together in an outreach program to try and bridge the gap between them.

I thoroughly commend you for your interfaith marriage. Respect for one another is what its all about, and the stupid thing is that both faiths teach love and respect.

Oh I've seen it definitely be just about any faith that gets attacked in the media. Like some of faith here say, we must stand for one another, me for you and you for me and us for them...only then are we stronger.

Martin Niemoller's address before Congress and which appears in the Congressional Record, October 14, 1968, page 31636 is:

"When Hitler attacked the Jews
I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the Catholics,
I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned.
And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists,
I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned.
Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church --
and there was nobody left to be concerned."

Niemoller was a pastor in the German Confessing Church who spent eight and one-half years in a Nazi concentration camp.

www.rumormillnews.com...

Never forget. They do want you to...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
That's what happens when their are lots of religions. It starts wars in the name of religion, and " My religion is better then yours, obey my God". People have to remember that all religions are to control & separate the world and kill in the name of their religion. The true religion is not about control its to love one another, to help others in need aren't we all beings of light from the same source? Why do we fight over a corrupt system with their mind control religions. I believe that we make our own reality so concentrate on your own reality and don't try to change others. When we all start to act as one the greed, killings, negativity will cease to exist. I don't need religion to find the source, I don't need to ask another human to forgive my sins, the light is inside me always have been.

Disclaimer: This is based on my own reality and thoughts. Whatever you believe in that is your own reality.
edit on 7/4/2014 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

nenothtu

WarminIndy

Then I am sure you would have no problem with a baptismal pool in a school?

If Christians paid for a baptismal pool, then I am sure that's no problem. OK, Christians, let's raise money for a baptismal pool for every school in this country, and have clergy available to baptize people. Now if Muslims were to say it is solely cultural, then that's no problem, we could say the same thing.

I read the fine print. It didn't say "school", it said "university" - you know, a campus, where students live and what not... a community of sorts. Now, whether it was a "public" university or a "private" university, I don't know. The problems arise from the source of funding - whether governmentally funded or not.

I can tell you that one of the public universities I went to had not just a baptismal, but also an entire sanctuary built around it. Oddly, no one burned down the ROTC building over that. They even had student religious organizations, like "The Baptist Student Union", and no one said "boo" about it. It was, after all, where many of these students lived. It was their home, their community. Why would they NOT have a say in what they had there?

For myself, if I didn't want to hang out with "those people", I just didn't go to their turf. if I didn't want to get baptised, I just didn't go splashing around in the baptismal bath tub. I can bet, with a high degree of certainty, that I probably wouldn't have been hanging out around the Muslim foot baths if they had had them, either. For all I know they DID have them, and I just never cared enough to go watch them there.

And while we are at it, let's let every pagan build a circle on the main yard of every campus. Let's allow every Jew to have Passover seders in the cafeteria. But guess what, we don't have those things in public schools.

Your university didn't have Witches or Jews? How odd! Was it a Southern Baptist Seminary or something? Good Lord! the Witches even had bonfires at mine on Samhain!

But handing out flyers, you could hand out flyers for foot baths that are not in the schools, how about that? If you want foot baths, we want baptismal pools. Fair is fair, right?

Sounds fair to me. College campuses are replete with useless flyers on any given day!

edit on 2014/4/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

University, ok. Why is an 18 year-old kid upset about this?

If I am guessing right, the article said "the student went home and asked his dad". I am certain then the child must be 18 years-old and if that's the case, then what's the big deal about an Easter Egg hunt on a college campus? The article made it sound like the kid was underage and still in grade school.

But did the kid get upset about the endless flyers about frat parties where alcohol is served? BTW, not all college campuses are funded solely by the government, and if that were the case, then universities can't teach anything about religion, not even Islam, however, all religions are taught to a degree in universities.

So the point is now null. Yes, Easter Egg hunt flyers are ok on college campuses. There are many different student organizations based on religion. But the way the article read, made it seem like he was in grade school, sorry, my misunderstanding.

Imagine that, an 18 year-old getting upset over an Easter Egg hunt flyer, on a college campus? Now that's just ridiculous that he didn't just toss it away and go about his business. So now what does that make him?

BTW, when are there going to be Christian universities in Saudi Arabia? If it is about fairness on a global scale, when is it going to happen?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If they (muslims) don't like it they can certainly go somewhere else. Why is it that we (others) must change our culture or celebrations because the very few 'don't like it' ????

Too bad 'cause we here in America hunt Easter Eggs.

That certainly can't be as harmful as cutting someones head off... Right?

So again if you don't like or want your children to hunt easter eggs then go back to your culture and enjoy what you like to do with others there.

Simple as that!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

WarminIndy
BTW, when are there going to be Christian universities in Saudi Arabia? If it is about fairness on a global scale, when is it going to happen?

Lol probably never.........what are you talking about??

Funny thread OP, Christians complaining about Muslims playing the victim card....how ironic and yet entirely predictable...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

this whole thing is just 'childs play'. People need to grow up and stop using some silly religion as means to tell others what they can and cant do.

Its bloody ridiculous. Its just a game for children to find 'eggs'. What is wrong with that?

You mentioned about 'bathing' too... what is it that they have in schools now as I wouldn't know but do they have separate showers for 'Muslims' boys away from other boys and girls away from other girls??

TBH, when I was at school 30 years ago, I didn't particularly like showering with other boys but that was how it was back then.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by tinner07

this whole thing is just 'childs play'. People need to grow up and stop using some silly religion as means to tell others what they can and cant do.

Its bloody ridiculous. Its just a game for children to find 'eggs'. What is wrong with that?

You mentioned about 'bathing' too... what is it that they have in schools now as I wouldn't know but do they have separate showers for 'Muslims' boys away from other boys and girls away from other girls??

TBH, when I was at school 30 years ago, I didn't particularly like showering with other boys but that was how it was back then.

I think if a parent wants their child raised in a religious environment, then send your kids to the school of your religious choice. I say those religious schools lower their prices, stop taking money from the government, and yes, Islamic madrassas in Indianapolis do receive money from the taxpayers.

But public education at the elementary and high school level is mandatory. So if a school is getting money from the government, then that needs to change. Privatize religious schools and stop taking money from the government. Lower the costs for enrollment.

But my goodness, understand that if you send your kid to public school, they are going to be surrounded by children of other faiths, let's get used to that. And universities, the same thing. To get up in arms over an Easter Egg flyer but not when it comes to raves or frat parties that include alcohol, it seems to me the young man is a hypocrite.

Separation of church and state means that the government does not pay for madrassas any more than it would for Catholic schools. So the madrassas in Indianapolis need to be funded privately. Stop taking grants and vouchers from the government. That goes for all religious schools. But if you are a particular faith, then understand that wherever you go in this country, you are going to meet someone of a different faith. That's what living in a multi-cultural country means.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Sk8ergrl

aren't we all beings of light from the same source?

I'm not, so I guess we aren't ALL.

I'm a being of flesh, blood, bone, gristle, and intestine.

No "light" anywhere in here.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

WarminIndy

How confusing.

The post you were referring to was about Muslim foot baths, which was an issue at a university.

The Op is about some parent of some grade school kid.

Two different situations, not to be conflated into one.

Who said anything about a "global scale"?

I could not even imagine caring less about how the Sauds run their country. It's theirs to run, not mine.

I'm not a Globalist.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

"And then there was light."

I thought we were all of light/energy.Oh well, my bad.

I honestly cannot believe this is still news. It is so obvious this was the parent being outraged.

My husband is a Muslim, he doesn't have an account, but he just wishes me to say,how ridiculous this whole thing sounds like.
If you ask Muslims, they will say ,yes, Jesus existed, just as Mohammad did, and bring on the chocolate eggs!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Only in England and the UK.

Oh, wait a minute, its in the USA!

Seems to me like people are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
First of all the parent in the article is clearly blowing it out of proportion.
And as FlyersFan pointed out, those aren't the words of a 7 or 9 year old child.
If he genuinely had his child's best interests at heart then I'd suggest simply letting his kid be a kid and have a bit of harmless fun.
People are people and kids are kids.
Children have enough crap to deal with when they become adults, let them enjoy their childhood while they can.

Secondly I'd say its obvious that as usual there are those who seek to exploit instances like this in order to highlight what they perceive to be the increasing Islamification of our societies and suppression of our Christian heritage.

Its all bollocks.

Early yesterday evening I was walking to my local for a few pints and I popped into a shop I use regularly to buy some cigarettes. This shop is in an area that is home to a relatively large Bengali community, the majority nominally being Muslim. I know the son of the owner a bit and he happened to be serving, (he likes a few pints himself and tends to only pay lip service to his religion out of respect for his Father), and I had a little chat with him about the Cricket T20 World Cup Final that had just started. Whilst I was in there two Muslim girls who I guess would have been about 9 or 10 came in and they interrupted our conversation enquiring about how much the chocolate Easter eggs were and then excitedly bought one each.
No bother, no fuss, just kids being kids.

No-one could ever accuse me of being a Muslim apologist but sometimes people need to take a step back and try to put things in perspective.
edit on 7/4/14 by Freeborn because: Oops, replied to the wrong person.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

nenothtu

WarminIndy

How confusing.

The post you were referring to was about Muslim foot baths, which was an issue at a university.

The Op is about some parent of some grade school kid.

Two different situations, not to be conflated into one.

Who said anything about a "global scale"?

I could not even imagine caring less about how the Sauds run their country. It's theirs to run, not mine.

I'm not a Globalist.

How confusing, because when I first answered the post I mentioned grade school then you succinctly told me it was at a university. So I readjusted my statement to reflect that. Now you say it was a grade school. Two different spheres and two different ideas altogether. Read the fine print, you said. I readjusted to reflect that.

If it happened in grade school, then put the kid in a private madrassa.

If it happened in a university, then suck it up and deal with it.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottProphhit

....I say we because I take blame for any action another person does.

I raised my eyebrows at this.
Really?
Why?

Don't blame Muslims for how the media potrays them.

I'd agree with that - to an extent.

But to give some balance - without that element within the Muslim communities there would be nothing to exploit or exaggerate.
And though its not politically correct to mention this but its true nonetheless the Muslim communities themselves are simply not doing enough the address and counter the extremists.

And its also true to say that at times MSM deliberately under reports, possibly even negligently fails to report, serious and important issues that the public should be aware of.

I feel so sorry for what british muslims go through living in Britain;

At times.
But to be fair, as a general rule of thumb most Muslims enjoy a lifestyle they couldn't have dreamt of back in their country of origin.
Sure, things are far from perfect but things have improved tremendously over the last two or three decades.

the BBC spitting on them basically

With all due respect, that's utter nonsense.
The BBC bends itself over backwards to accommodate Muslim sensitivities.

I dont know any Muslims on the welfare,....

I know quite a few, proportionally at least as many as any other ethnic grouping.
And strangely, unemployment amongst young Muslims is regularly one of the reasons / excuses / causes given for increased militancy within Muslim communities.

.... infact the Asian people in Britain are doing better financially than nearly all the other people in working/middle class,

Err.....but you just said you feel sorry for what Muslims have to go through here in Britain - can't be that bad, according to you they have zero unemployment and are actively prospering whilst many of us are suffering under repressive austerity cuts, lower incomes, spiralling food prices and soaring house prices etc.
Food banks are poping up all over the place - many are one step away from the workhouse!

and I've never heard one demand a home like one they left(as chances are, we destroyed it)

Of course most don't demand benefits etc and ponce off the state - but some do.
Destroyed their houses? - more like built them with UK aid, ( the majority of which never gets to the intended source due to the endemic corruption of local warlords etc).

I don't like calling things stupid but racism is idiotic.

On this at least I agree with you 100%, its abhorrent and must be opposed.

edit on 7/4/14 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS: MUSLIMS UPSET!

When AREN'T they whining and bith***g? Don't like Easter egg flyers? Then don't attend it. Tuh-dah.
Hello, Hi.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Really? That's rather sad.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Rainbowresidue

"And then there was light."

I thought we were all of light/energy.Oh well, my bad.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh, but then I'm a grouch, a curmudgeon. It's my nature. That's actually a pretty interesting topic for discussion, perhaps as a topic for a thread. We ARE, in a sense, made of energy at a quantum level. The whole conservation of energy argument, where energy is never lost, only it's state changes to matter... and vice versa. Since light is only one form of energy, restricting our being to only "light" is not broadly descriptive enough for my taste.

So, in a sense we are all composed of compacted packets of energy, as all matter is.

I honestly cannot believe this is still news. It is so obvious this was the parent being outraged.

Yup, it was obviously the parent. As FlyersFan observed, I've yet to meet a kid who is outraged at the prospect of candy, and a chance to play.

My husband is a Muslim, he doesn't have an account, but he just wishes me to say,how ridiculous this whole thing sounds like.
If you ask Muslims, they will say ,yes, Jesus existed, just as Mohammad did, and bring on the chocolate eggs!!!

My wife is also Muslim, she does have an account, and has already made her position known here. All I can add to it is the observation that large parts of the Qur'an are about Jesus, and Muslims are not likely to have wasted the space if they didn't believe he existed... and that my wife is hell on wheels after chocolate, even if it's shaped like a rabbit or an egg! No matter the shape, it's STILL chocolate!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Ok then, let's sort this out and get both of us on the same page. let's work backwards to see how it developed.

You said here:

Then I am sure you would have no problem with a baptismal pool in a school?

If Christians paid for a baptismal pool, then I am sure that's no problem. OK, Christians, let's raise money for a baptismal pool for every school in this country, and have clergy available to baptize people. Now if Muslims were to say it is solely cultural, then that's no problem, we could say the same thing.

Here is the post by OpinionatedB that you were responding to.

The question of the foot baths was covered by her in this section of that post:

1) the university should have let the Muslims pay for it if they wanted it. Period. Besides, I have no need of a specific foot bath, and I am Muslim. Period.

That was in response to this section of the OP:

School to Install Footbaths for Muslims [at Univ. of Michigan, Dearborn]
but...So when the school recently approved installing two foot baths in a pair of new unisex bathrooms to accommodate the needs of male and female Muslim students, the local Islamic community started planning ways to raise the estimated $25,000 cost.

But the university told them not to bother — it would pay for the foot baths.

The first issue involved the parent of 7 and 9 year old kids in an elementary school, going by the article linked. Furthermore (also according to the article), the egg hunt was NOT to be held on the school grounds, it was to be held at Cherry Hill Presbyterian Church in Dearborn, MI. At issue was feigned outrage over a flyer distributed, a friggin' peice of paper! It was not an issue of "separtion of church and state", it was an issue with a notification of a community event. Perhaps there are those who prefer their children to remain ignorant of the community around them, but that shouldn't tar ALL of the individuals within a group. I note that there are no other Muslims feigning outrage at this notice of a community event - only that one... and Dearborn is absolutely eaten up with Muslims.

So it was two separate issues raised by the OP, both apparently in Michigan, but one involving an elementary school, and the other involving a university - different situations entirely. I may have misread your response, but I don't think I did. It appeared that you hadn't quite separated the two incidents, preferring to roll them both under the same bus of those Evil Muslims Who are trying to Steal My 'Merican Way of Life.

If it happened in grade school, then put the kid in a private madrassa.

Now, personally, I wouldn't go to the extent of forcing the Muslim child into a madrasa - or any other sort of concentration camp. I'm not big on Jim Crowe Laws and Segregation. Your mileage may vary. Neither would I make inordinate accomodations for any specific religion on the public dime in a public school. They have mosques for that sort of thing, just like the Christians have churches and the Jews have synagogues and the Buddhists have temples, etc. Let them do their religioning there, not on the public dime.

If Muslims wanted to distribute flyers at the school to invite people to the weekly dinner at a mosque, or the nightly dinners during Ramadan. I'd have no issue with that, either - it's an event in the community, and evidently they'd be wanting to open it to the public and the community, if they were distributing flyers.

I can just see the rabid Christians gnawing at their hands in a frenzy over it, rending their sackcloth and piling ashes on their heads, screaming to high heaven about the "separation of church and state", that "them Evil Muslims Who Want to Steal My 'Merican Way of Life are trying to force their religion on me!", and entirely ignoring the chance to meet a body of people that they have an inordinate fear of... and in the meeting, take a chance on diabusing themselves of that inordinate fear of what turns out to be just other people.

Kinda makes me wonder just who is really the more backwards here...

BTW, the Muslims in Dearborn are predominantly Iranian Shia, who came here SPECIFICALLY to get away from the ayatollahs. Seems they would be natural allies, and shooting one's self in the foot while trying to shoot down allies isn't really a good strategy, I think.

edit on 2014/4/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

Really? That's rather sad.

Perhaps so, but it's at least pragmatic. I have to live in the real world and deal with it on a daily basis.

It would be kinda cool to be my own night light, though! Unfortunately, it would give my position away too often. Can't hide in the shadows like that!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I find it extremely hypocritical that they want separation of church and state, while at the same time wanting and receiving preferential treatment for their children, who are students, because of their religious beliefs. How is it that their religion can trump state law regarding attendance at school? Even leaving early, over a period of time, would be against the regulations, thus why they needed special permission in the first place. Therefore their "church" is definitely mixing with the "state," but they don't complain about that because they're biased. It is helpful to them in THAT particular instance. So what they should say is that they don't want a mixing of church and state, UNLESS it benefits them. Like I said, they are being hypocritical.
edit on 4/7/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Thank you for getting me on track.

Like I said, privatize religious schools or live with the multi-culture.

And I say the same thing for Christians and Jews. If there is to be true separation of church and state, then private religious schools should not be getting money from the government.

If a madrassa is so bad, then how is that fixed? I'm not Muslim so my opinion should not count or should my opinion count when it comes to American children?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join