It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Parents upset over Easter egg hunt flyer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Meh. Who cares?
There's always some parent 'outraged' somewhere.

Easter Eggs are a Pagan tradition anyway. As a couple of others have pointed out. Just wanted to voice my vote with them.

WHO CARES? Let the kids do 'find the egg' - it doesn't have one tiny little thing to do with Christian or Muslim or anything.

It is the spring festival. Eggs/rabbits = fertility and renewal. MOST CHRISTIANS don't even know that....
and...AND, it's become nearly as big as Christmas in terms of spendiness. Just a reason to pressure people to spend money. In this economy, what harm is there in dying a few eggs with food coloring and hiding them in your house or yard? I was raised in a Christian household, we had Easter celebrations (jelly-beans, colored eggs, and chocolate)....that's 'about Christ' - HOW again?

People need to just chillax. If your religion is so uptight and threatened by customs for kids in any season, be it spring/summer/autumn/winter, there is something wrong with the religion. I mean seriously, is a Muslim kid going to hell if they participate in a children's game?

Let the kids be kids; hide some eggs for them, and let them find them. For heaven's sake, people!

:shakes head, rolls eyes:

edit on 4/6/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

markosity1973
reply to post by OpinionatedB

And with that sort of attitude, as a Muslim you are more than welcome in our western way of living.

The annoying thing about some muslims is that all this pushing for special rights alienates them and creates feelings of prejudice. As a white westerner, I'm glad to have people from other cultures and religions in my society. I enjoy learning tidbits from their languages, I'm interested to know what their values are, I love trying their food and I enjoy the privilege of earning their friendship.

However, when groups of people start demanding that I change my ways to be more like them it gets me hot under the collar. After all, I'm okay with what they do and how they live, as long as its lawful. Why shouldn't they offer me the same courtesy back?
edit on 6-4-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

Really its biases in what journalists report. What is going to get the most people talking about your site and how many hits are you going to get off your article.

Reporting that a Muslim was pissed off about a church holiday celebration that their children were invited to is going to get people hot under the collar and talking about the article, which is going to generate a lot of hits on your site.

I am a Muslim woman and I married a Christian man about a year and a half ago. Not one reporter covered it, it was in no newspaper.. basically no one cared because it wasn't going to get Americans "hot under the collar"

Its what they report verses what they don't. In this thread you have two families posting that are inter-religious families... yet no journalist covers that... why? because it's not what news... news is one person getting upset about a flyer... not mutual respect for each others faiths...

edit on 6-4-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Do you have any idea how that man was acting? That man and his little group only showed you a very small portion of what actually happened that day, and if you weren't there you wouldn't realize what he did...

He was screaming at those children... children for goodness sake... screaming at them that they were "little dirtbags" "sick animals" and "dogs" and saying they were all going to hell and other stuff...He was also trying to hit them with a dead pig's head that was covered in flies... and he did poke a couple children with it...

Muslim parents from Muslim countries don't have to keep such a close watch over there children when they are not in this country, there aren't kidnappers and the like running about there going to steal or hurt your children. So children are generally let run a bit if its a large group of Muslims...

So these children were alone... if you saw the older parents (not the parents of these kids necessarily) but there were adults telling the children to stay away from this man and not get close... but at one point he had ticked off the kids real bad by calling them names and they were not "stoning" this man...

they were throwing trash or anything at him for the insults he was saying to them... and it only lasted a minute before the adults that were there were able to put a stop to it!

If that had been you and your child... you probably would have just beat the hell out of this man... but if a Muslim does get angry about this kind of thing.... then its all about how evil Muslims are...

If your not there and only see a minute or three of what happened over the course of an entire day... then you cannot judge.

Just as a side note: Its not just Muslims who get angry with people like this shoving their crap and judgements down their throats... but in the following video, at least these preachers weren't calling the homosexuals "dirtbags", "sick animals" and "dogs"...Yet oddly, they still got mad...

But Muslims aren't allowed to get upset with this kind of behavior... I find that odd.
edit on 6-4-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

You are correct and its not just your faith that only gets negative coverage by the media. Don't forget the catholic church that is constantly getting smashed with negative publicity also.

There is this real negative attitude amongst journalism in general. It almost seems as if its not bad news, its not worth reporting. I get tired if the fact that if its not a scandal its not newsworthy. Personally i love seeing happy stories like a documentary i recently saw of Jews and Palestinians working together in an outreach program to try and bridge the gap between them.

I thoroughly commend you for your interfaith marriage. Respect for one another is what its all about, and the stupid thing is that both faiths teach love and respect.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by tinner07

I do agree with you..

1) the university should have let the Muslims pay for it if they wanted it. Period. Besides, I have no need of a specific foot bath, and I am Muslim. Period.

2) There is no reason in the world for anyone to get upset over a flyer inviting people to Easter Egg hunts, whether they come from a local religious group or not... its a flyer, if you don't want it then throw it away...

3) If only one person is complaining then it's really not a story, people complain about things every day.. if every single complaint anyone ever had was put in the paper... the paper would be too long to either read or print.. and truthfully very boring.

I am with the above poster that it seems more like an attempt of division rather than anything else. Majority of Muslims in this country just want to live.. and they are happy to let others live how they want too.

Then I am sure you would have no problem with a baptismal pool in a school?

If Christians paid for a baptismal pool, then I am sure that's no problem. OK, Christians, let's raise money for a baptismal pool for every school in this country, and have clergy available to baptize people. Now if Muslims were to say it is solely cultural, then that's no problem, we could say the same thing.

And while we are at it, let's let every pagan build a circle on the main yard of every campus. Let's allow every Jew to have Passover seders in the cafeteria. But guess what, we don't have those things in public schools.

But handing out flyers, you could hand out flyers for foot baths that are not in the schools, how about that? If you want foot baths, we want baptismal pools. Fair is fair, right?

edit on 4/6/2014 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

She might not, but I'll bet the atheists sure would. Therein lies the rub.

And the part that really annoys me is that when they go to get everything that even hints at faith of any sort removed ... they wind up being the only faith represented. Winners by default.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
No matter what faith religion has no place in public schools. This church shouldn't be handing flyers out there and the school shouldn't be allowing prayers there either.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

buster2010
No matter what faith religion has no place in public schools. This church shouldn't be handing flyers out there and the school shouldn't be allowing prayers there either.

So, if random child A decides to pray over his or her lunch ... sorry, kiddo, no grace for you!

Yeah, I know the very same government that provides your school claims to endorse your freedom of religion, but you didn't actually think they were serious about it did you?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

tinner07
Im not sure why the story made news either. But I started the thread for 2 reasons.
1) the hypocrisy I see there. demanding islamic rights in schools while at the same time claiming christian values are a violation of church and state.

BOTH are a violation of the separation of church and state. Schools are not the place for religious observances. Prayer will never be eradicated from schools - especially around exam time - but that doesn't mean that the school has to make special concessions for organized religious observation and ritual. They are places of learning, not places of worship. Religious observation is the responsibility of the individual, and should in no way be allowed to distract or disrupt the rest of the student body.

2) the other day somebody posted a thread on the Australian Defence League where I stated that Michigan has a large population of Muslims that are just folks practicing their religion and being good neighbors. It was the very next day this story showed up from that population so I thought maybe I spoke too soon.

There are people on the fringes of everything, out in the ideological hinterlands. Don't let it disturb you calm. If you do, the terrorists win.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

tinner07

I just don't know what amuses me more - some fringe Muslim getting upset over an Easter celebration, or some fringe Christian getting upset that Muslims are upset over an Easter celebration.
reply to post by nenothtu

If you are talking about me, I am not upset about the parents being upset. I am upset about the hypocrisy in religion. and the fact that this made the free press

No, I'm not referring to you - I have no idea what your religion is, and don't even know if you have one at all. I'm referring to those people who get their panties in a wad when someone else claims the same rights they think THEY have. It's not like there's a limited supply, and someone else might use all of mine up before the weekend gets here!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

tinner07

Well your first question is hard for me to answer, I would like to think the media gives Muslims a bad image because we are currently trying to make central banks in the middle east. I say we because I take blame for any action another person does.
reply to post by ScottProphhit

I don't think it is the media giving Muslims a bad image man.

Then who is?

How do you know about this non-story at all, if not through the media?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Shiloh7

If one doesn't like the Christian way of doing things then don't move yourself and your family into a Christian country - simple as that.

The idea of moving into a Christian country and then trying to change everything seems like underhand conversion tactics which I don'[t fall for.

Where is there a "Christian country"? The Vatican maybe? Certainly not the US or UK.

These religions that come basically from so far ago expecting to be accommodated today is ludicrous.

Refresh my memory here - when did Christianity come about, and when did Islam come about? Which is better described as "basically from so far ago" i.e. older?

Those who try to bend over backwards to accommodate people who want to live in that mode are selling the rest of the population short. Why should people be expected to change their traditions and enjoyment for someone else's beliefs? Why come to a country you must know is going to be impossible for you to assimilate into in the first place?

Precisely when has a Muslim required you to change your traditions and enjoyment for their beliefs? That's not something you only hear about from the media, is it? I mean, you've got a personal experience of it, right? Something you can verify for yourself, rather than taking some talking head's word for it? I ask this because I'm married to a Muslim, and haven't had to change anything at all about myself. I eat a ham sandwich if I want to, and wash it down with a beer if I want to. I've changed nary a thing, nor have I been required to. Seems to me that if anyone could support that gripe, it would be me - but I can't, because it hasn't happened to me. I hear rumors - but that's all they are.

Likewise, I don't require my wife to change anything at all to conform to MY beliefs. They're mine, not hers, and are MY cross to bear, not hers. She has her own to deal with.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

tinner07

she simply said "don't use the actions of one person to define another" she's clever eh.

she is clever.Unfortunately that doesnt apply to Muslims. hence the attack on the Benghazi compound because some Muslims were upset over a movie.

Well, I'll grant you that IS the Party line - it's what the current US administration (i.e. "The Party". ala the old Soviet Union) wants you to think. Just a little digging and thought indicate otherwise to me. It indicates that was an excuse, not a reason. The movie in question had a grand total of 274 views (including only partial views) worldwide just after the event, when they first fielded that excuse - so even some of THOSE views were from the merely curious, wondering what the uproar was all about.

I'm curious, with numbers like that, if ANY Muslims saw it at all prior to the attack.

Nope, my best guess is that the administrations old wahabbist buddies AQ screwed the pooch, and in casting around for an excuse, that was all they could find in a pinch, and so the story became the party line. "Let's blame it on 'them Evil Muslims' as a whole, rather than laying the blame on the group it belongs to". Spread the joy, eh?

edit on 2014/4/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

tinner07

No 100 do not represent a billion. But pull your head out of the sand my brother, you know more than 100 people rioted and killed because of that movie.

That is kinda what gets me... Muslims are appalled by something and riot and kill. Now that appalls me, so by their thinking it is ok if I riot and kill them.

You want more? there are a bunch of links where muslims are appalled so they riot and kill. I can throw a hundred pics of muslims cutting heads off,

Well, I'd imagine we could have some dandy pic wars. I can throw a hundred to match your hundred of US soldiers and even civilians doing pretty much the same, desecrating bodies and whatnot. I even had one of a VC head jammed onto a bamboo stake in Vietnam, at a US camp. Does that then apply to ALL US soldiers or ALL US civilians?

Maybe not, but propaganda is as propaganda does, and it is designed to influence thought in one direction, to give one tunnel vision and channel the thoughts in the direction the propagandist desires. I can match your "bloodthirsty Muslims" with "bloodthirsty Americans", and both would be equally supported - and equally WRONG in reference to the group as a whole.

You see, if we are allowed to pick and choose, and present only what we WANT to present in order to make our case, we can demonize just about anyone on the planet...

... and do it on the evening news, in living color.

Unfortunately, that does a service to no one in promoting actual truth, and denying actual ignorance. It does, however, serve SOMEONE... I'll leave you to figure out who that someone is on your own.

Let me ask you this, would you like Scotland to be a Muslim country?

Not gonna happen, in spite of the propaganda.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

ScottProphhit

there are children born in Afghanistan with two heads because of British and American bombs. Should you be blamed for that?

Meh.

At least they'll always have someone to talk to.

Seriously - I ain't buying that load of BS for even a minute.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

jeramie

ScottProphhit

Don't blame Muslims for how the media potrays them. I feel so sorry for what british muslims go through living in Britain; the BBC spitting on them basically

RIGHT! It's 100% how the media portrays them:

All they had to do was ignore the guys holding the signs. This is just one of MANY examples.
edit on 6-4-2014 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

Better those Evil Muslims than me.

Dude come to MY place and starts chasing me around with a rotting pig's head and screaming idiocy at me as he does, well, the least of his worries is gonna be if someone throws a paperwad at him, and I ain't even an Evil Muslim.

I'd have taken him out to the woodshed and taught him new ways to hurt. I don't suffer crazy gladly.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

Reporting that a Muslim was pissed off about a church holiday celebration that their children were invited to is going to get people hot under the collar and talking about the article, which is going to generate a lot of hits on your site.

The bolded part is what gets me. Why on Earth would someone get offended about being invited for inclusion? Hell, it's only an invite! Decline if you must, by why waste the energy to get upset over it?

I've been invited to various Muslim functions, like Eid al-Fitr, I've been invited to Buddhist temples for some celebration or other that I can't recall even the name of, I've been invited to this church or that one, and never once in all of those invitations did I get offended that someone thought they'd like for me to hang out with them for a while!

I am a Muslim woman and I married a Christian man about a year and a half ago. Not one reporter covered it, it was in no newspaper.. basically no one cared because it wasn't going to get Americans "hot under the collar"

PSSST! I'm not a "Christian" - those people are scary, and they get ever so easily offended! It's a lot more fun to hang out with the sinners than the saints, anyhow - just ask Jesus. Not the Christians' version of "Jesus", though - he's kinda uptight.

Its what they report verses what they don't. In this thread you have two families posting that are inter-religious families... yet no journalist covers that... why? because it's not what news... news is one person getting upset about a flyer... not mutual respect for each others faiths...

I'm sad. even the propagandists don't like us, and they're at the bottom of the barrel!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

WarminIndy

Then I am sure you would have no problem with a baptismal pool in a school?

If Christians paid for a baptismal pool, then I am sure that's no problem. OK, Christians, let's raise money for a baptismal pool for every school in this country, and have clergy available to baptize people. Now if Muslims were to say it is solely cultural, then that's no problem, we could say the same thing.

I read the fine print. It didn't say "school", it said "university" - you know, a campus, where students live and what not... a community of sorts. Now, whether it was a "public" university or a "private" university, I don't know. The problems arise from the source of funding - whether governmentally funded or not.

I can tell you that one of the public universities I went to had not just a baptismal, but also an entire sanctuary built around it. Oddly, no one burned down the ROTC building over that. They even had student religious organizations, like "The Baptist Student Union", and no one said "boo" about it. It was, after all, where many of these students lived. It was their home, their community. Why would they NOT have a say in what they had there?

For myself, if I didn't want to hang out with "those people", I just didn't go to their turf. if I didn't want to get baptised, I just didn't go splashing around in the baptismal bath tub. I can bet, with a high degree of certainty, that I probably wouldn't have been hanging out around the Muslim foot baths if they had had them, either. For all I know they DID have them, and I just never cared enough to go watch them there.

And while we are at it, let's let every pagan build a circle on the main yard of every campus. Let's allow every Jew to have Passover seders in the cafeteria. But guess what, we don't have those things in public schools.

Your university didn't have Witches or Jews? How odd! Was it a Southern Baptist Seminary or something? Good Lord! the Witches even had bonfires at mine on Samhain!

But handing out flyers, you could hand out flyers for foot baths that are not in the schools, how about that? If you want foot baths, we want baptismal pools. Fair is fair, right?

Sounds fair to me. College campuses are replete with useless flyers on any given day!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Nothing to be sad over. We both always have enjoyed being left alone...
Dreams do come true.

I agree with you that its more than a little ridiculous to get upset over that...

heck I'm not even convinced its real yet, but then, there WAS that little old lady in the store the other day who was upset she was getting charged .50 cents a can for the cat food instead of 6 cans for $3.00... she probably complained about that for days as mad as she was! So I've little doubt that someone somewhere would have a complaint about a flyer for an easter egg hunt...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
double post
edit on 7-4-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join