It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Parents upset over Easter egg hunt flyer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
So it seems a few parents of public school kids are outraged by the passing out of flyers inviting people to an Easter egg hunt.

www.freep.com...

Now I realize it seems to be just a few parents, or maybe only one but how did it make it into the Yahoo news feed or the Detroit free press?

A quote from the article doesnt seem like something a kid would say.

“It really bothered my two kids,” said parent Majed Moughni, who is Muslim and has two children, ages 7 and 9, in Dearborn elementary schools. “My son was like, ‘Dad, I really don’t feel comfortable getting these flyers, telling me to go to church. I thought churches are not supposed to mix with schools.’ ”

On top of that, the seperation of church and state thing, this seems to be a bit hypocritical. Although it isn't CAIR involved with the Easter egg thing

The Council on American Islamic Relations of Michigan (CAIR-MI) staff recently met with Dearborn Public Schools Superintendent Brian Whiston to discuss concerns from some parents regarding prayer accommodations in Dearborn Public Schools.

Dearborn Public Schools has implemented a policy which fully accommodates student-led prayer in all the schools, as well as unexcused absences for students who leave early on Fridays for Jumu'ah prayers. CAIR-MI is currently in discussion with Melvindale Public Schools to get similar accommodations for students that are now in place for Dearborn Public Schools.

I guess what bugs me about this is that it seems like one parent and yet the Detroit free press runs a story and it ends up on my Yahoo news feed as well as other websites.
There are other examples of Muslims being accommodated which I am not wholly opposed too such as Muslim only swim times at pools and prayer rooms at airports and schools, paid for by taxpayer money.

School to Install Footbaths for Muslims [at Univ. of Michigan, Dearborn]
but...So when the school recently approved installing two foot baths in a pair of new unisex bathrooms to accommodate the needs of male and female Muslim students, the local Islamic community started planning ways to raise the estimated $25,000 cost.

But the university told them not to bother — it would pay for the foot baths.

I guess what bugs me is that anytime some group opposes a Christian symbol on public property it is taken down. It seems like any white on black crime the blacks come out of the woodwork and scream about it, anything deemed anti Islam, the Muslims come out and (at minimum) scream about it but any crime against whites or anti Christian we tend to keep quiet or be deemed racist. The squeaky wheels get the oil.

I don't know the whole point of this thread,been bugging me a few days. Just the Hypocrisy of the Muslims to demand islamic rights in schools yet decry christian rights.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Perhaps the school should move the activity to a public park instead of a church? Then what would the Muslims have to say about it?

After all finding hidden eggs doesn't have a damn thing to do with believing in a religious holiday! It is just a fun activity for the children to participate in.

But you are correct. There does seem to be a double standard when children of Christian faith are being told they cannot do this or do that, but the system seems to bend backwards to accommodate those of the Muslim faith.

I quite frankly see it as nothing more than the system creating more division by telling one group they cannot do something, while pandering to another.

Divide and Conquer?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It's just the voices of a few being put through the media's microphone, I've been in close contact with Muslims in Scotland and any time Christmas or Easter comes round in School they seem to handle it well! Some people take their ideals to the extreme, the media is just playing out on that to make Muslims look isolated, which is how the media wants them to feel.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It is the church putting on the Easter egg hunt not the school. Was just a flyer passed out at the school.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I do agree with you..

1) the university should have let the Muslims pay for it if they wanted it. Period. Besides, I have no need of a specific foot bath, and I am Muslim. Period.

2) There is no reason in the world for anyone to get upset over a flyer inviting people to Easter Egg hunts, whether they come from a local religious group or not... its a flyer, if you don't want it then throw it away...

3) If only one person is complaining then it's really not a story, people complain about things every day.. if every single complaint anyone ever had was put in the paper... the paper would be too long to either read or print.. and truthfully very boring.

I am with the above poster that it seems more like an attempt of division rather than anything else. Majority of Muslims in this country just want to live.. and they are happy to let others live how they want too.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Some people take their ideals to the extreme, the media is just playing out on that to make Muslims look isolated, which is how the media wants them to feel.
reply to post by ScottProphhit

so why do you think that is? There is like a billion Muslims in the world, probably in every nation on the globe. and what does this say?

Muslims in Scotland and any time Christmas or Easter comes round in School they seem to handle it well!

why shouldnt they? Not to sound like a jerk but... should we praise them for acting well over Christmas?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Media at its best, making news where there is none.

I teach at a school with a lot of Muslim children.

We celebrate Ramadan,Easter, Christmas, Al_Eid, and even Valentine's Day.

In my 14 years of teaching I have never heard a 9 year old complain about a flyer for a holiday activity.

It is ridiculous that this is even news.
I think the parent was the one upset about it, and was trying to get her voice heard through her children.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I bet his children wanted to go and that's what pissed him off the most. I also don't think these children said what he quoted them as saying. What does he think will happen? Does he believe they'll internally combust entering a christian church yard?

If you don't want them to go then don't go. Simple enough. No one made it mandatory. I imagine how this dude would act if Jehovah witnesses or Latter day saints knocked on his door.

Welcome to a country that still gives you freedom of religion now deal with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

TheLieWeLive

I bet his children wanted to go and that's what pissed him off the most. I also don't think these children said what he quoted them as saying. What does he think will happen? Does he believe they'll internally combust entering a christian church yard?

If you don't want them to go then don't go. Simple enough. No one made it mandatory. I imagine how this dude would act if Jehovah witnesses or Latter day saints knocked on his door.

Welcome to a country that still gives you freedom of religion now deal with it.

I couldn't agree with you more.
You took the words out of my keyboard.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I just don't know what amuses me more - some fringe Muslim getting upset over an Easter celebration, or some fringe Christian getting upset that Muslims are upset over an Easter celebration. For God's sake (or Allah's, or whomever's) drive in your own damned lane, and let the other guy drive in his!

Seriously - if ANY of these people are secure in their OWN religion, what the hell difference does it make to them what some other guy thinks religiously? Are they afraid they're gonna catch it? And if they ARE, then I submit that they might want to re-examine their own religious convictions for durability!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

nenothtu
Are they afraid they're gonna catch it?

I can just see the parent going " Be careful, stay away from that chocolate egg, it is evil (haram)!"

Every time I read news like this , it makes me feel a little sad for humanity.

I'm Catholic, my husband is Muslim, and we and our families get along great!

I wish people could just stop being so silly.

It's 2014 for crying out loud.

I don't , and have never understood why some people can't respect other people's beliefs.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

tinner07

Some people take their ideals to the extreme, the media is just playing out on that to make Muslims look isolated, which is how the media wants them to feel.

so why do you think that is? There is like a billion Muslims in the world, probably in every nation on the globe. and what does this say?

Muslims in Scotland and any time Christmas or Easter comes round in School they seem to handle it well!

why shouldnt they? Not to sound like a jerk but... should we praise them for acting well over Christmas?

Well your first question is hard for me to answer, I would like to think the media gives Muslims a bad image because we are currently trying to make central banks in the middle east. I say we because I take blame for any action another person does.

And to the second question I was pointing out why the media story is just deceiving people

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Im not sure why the story made news either. But I started the thread for 2 reasons.
1) the hypocrisy I see there. demanding islamic rights in schools while at the same time claiming christian values are a violation of church and state.

2) the other day somebody posted a thread on the Australian Defence League where I stated that Michigan has a large population of Muslims that are just folks practicing their religion and being good neighbors. It was the very next day this story showed up from that population so I thought maybe I spoke too soon.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Well, somebody doesn't want us ( Christians and Muslims) to get along.

I'm sure they have their reasons, I just don't know what it is,at least not a 100%.

That's why news like this keeps popping up, in my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I just don't know what amuses me more - some fringe Muslim getting upset over an Easter celebration, or some fringe Christian getting upset that Muslims are upset over an Easter celebration.
reply to post by nenothtu

If you are talking about me, I am not upset about the parents being upset. I am upset about the hypocrisy in religion. and the fact that this made the free press

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Well your first question is hard for me to answer, I would like to think the media gives Muslims a bad image because we are currently trying to make central banks in the middle east. I say we because I take blame for any action another person does.

I don't think it is the media giving Muslims a bad image man.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Don't blame Muslims for how the media potrays them. I feel so sorry for what british muslims go through living in Britain; the BBC spitting on them basically

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I saw this and was upset by it as well.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe a child would say that in those words. The father is feeling justified right now and if this kind of crap does not stop he will be frowning later, because what happens when Christians are completely stifled?

They'll move on, and do the same to the Jews, the Muslims, the Sikh's, the Hindu's, the Buddhists, the Wiccans, the Jaina, the Animists, the Vodouists and on and on.

These people who would silence others disgust me, they play into the idea that they need to do this. Like someone else said, it is a tactic....divide and then conquer. Because the end goal, is no religion period, none. No thinking for ourselves, they want robots who believe in nothing and this is how they get it started by creating dissent among us. People need to wake up to this before it's too late.

Right now shools bend over backwards for Muslims in America, and that is okay until they start to push others out.

If they don't knock it off, one day they will eat crow and choke on it as they are being stifled too.

edit on 6-4-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Don't blame Muslims for how the media potrays them. I feel so sorry for what british muslims go through living in Britain; the BBC spitting on them basically

I think it is more how they portray themselves. Again, the quiet non assuming neighbor that happens to be Muslim does not make the news. Who does make the news is the Muslims that imagrate to England, take the welfare and demand a Muslim country much like the one they left.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I dont know any Muslims on the welfare, infact the Asian people in Britain are doing better financially than nearly all the other people in working/middle class, and I've never heard one demand a home like one they left(as chances are, we destroyed it)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join