It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Science Project Reveals High Levels Of Fukushima Nuclear Radiation in Grocery Store Seafood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Afternoon,

I've seen a number of well-meaning people trying to "quell" the panic of Fukashima by consistantly claiming it's not a danger. America (or any other place) has nothing to worry about.
The water is potable.
The radiation levels are within safe limits.
The fallout won't effect the crops.
Business as usual...right?
Wrong, and it's so simple a secondary student can figure it out.
Decide for yourselves before someone else decides for you.

www.silverdoctors.com...

-Peace-

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

Fukashima disaster helps TPTB plans to cull the population down a few trillion so don't expect Government intervention.
San Diego cannery is probably still radiation free, but by next year it too will be contaminated I am afraid.
Farmed trout and talapia are my only seafood in the future.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Armed with a $600 Geiger counter bought by her dad, Delacruz studied a variety of seafoods – particularly seaweeds – as part of an award-winning science project that she will take to a national fair next month. “Some of the kelp that I found was higher than what the International Atomic Energy Agency sets as radioactive contamination, which is 1,450 counts over a 10-minute period,” she said. “Some of my samples came up as 1,700 or 1,800.” Delacruz said the samples that “lit up” the most wereproducts from China that she bought in local grocery stores.

The article state that the most radioactive seafood is from China, but I stll worry about salmon and halibut here in AK since many of our salmon migrate near japan. ):

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
So less radiotive then say a banana or potatoe? I mean at 1700 or 1800 counts per min it would take about 28 days of constant exposure to give you a dose that would increase you chance of cancer. So unless you are eating this seafood non stop for almost a month your body is more than capable of processing this radiation as it does in many other foods.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

--
I would still stick to AK salmon, as a matter of fact, I would stick to domestic seafood, even before the Rad issue, most imported seafood were from farms that have harmful pesticides and a slew of other things.
Imported Catfish for instance just doesn't do justice when compared to wild caught catfish around the creeks here in the states.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
kinda makes me glad i hate fish and other seafood products.

i do think it a rather interesting coincidence that Canada stopped testing it so soon after Fukushima's problems started. have other countries including the US done the same? seems to yet again show regulatory bodies work for those they are supposed to regulate and control and not the public's interests.

i have to ask, is this also true for other imported goods? things like cars, other foods, toys, etc? anything from Japan, and it seems China (in all honesty it should just be ALL imported goods), should be checked for things like RADIATION. after all Russia has turned back a few shipments of cars from Japan due to radiation levels they contained. so that shows there IS a real issue with products from Japan, which we all know has an ongoing nuclear disaster. who knows perhaps China has had problems of their own we are not aware of, due to their almost paranoid security. we all know they have a MAJOR pollution issue, who is to say there isn't more to their pollution problem than standard pollutants.

anyone know if there are regulations in regards to Chinese fresh water fish? we all know China has huge pollution problems in most of their waterways, including things like hundreds of dead pigs floating around, yet they apparently still take fish from those polluted waterways. wonder what else besides radiation people are exposed to with Chinese fish products? and do the Chinese fish products being checked in the science fair project, include fresh water fish products or just salt water fish products? if their fresh water fish products also contain high radioactivity that would signal that China is either receiving a high dose of fallout from Japan, or they have their own nuclear issues.

when it comes to Chinese salt water fish products it is even more of a concern. that is because we don't know where in the world those fish products even come from. China not only fishes in their coastal waters, but also POACH in other areas like those territories they are trying to steal from other countries. where Chinese coast guard ships harass those fishermen of the countries that actually own the territory so their fishing fleets can steal all the fish they want. PLUS the Chinese have legal arrangements for their fleets to fish all over the world. so if a high percentage of Chinese fish products contain high radiation, then it could signal that ALL the worlds oceans are badly contaminated. or it could even be that the Chinese are only exporting fish from contaminated areas, while keeping the non contaminated fish for themselves. which is an even bigger issue since that would mean it is done on purpose, which begs the question are all those hazardous Chinese products that keep being found, also being done with intent?

in reality ALL salt water seafood products, imported or not should be noted with where EXACTLY they were caught, and continually tested for radiation. and then if a lot of fish from certain areas are found to constantly contain high radiation then those areas should then be closed off for fishing, and any other country found fishing in those areas to be banned from exporting there fish products into the country. as for fishermen loosing their fishing grounds, they should receive compensation from JAPAN, for their income losses. in honesty like i said earlier, ALL imported products should be tested for radioactivity with HEAVY penalties applied to the sending nation for not stopping them before they leave, as well as said products being shipped right back to where they came from. and if certain products keep coming in contaminated than a BAN on that company's products, as well as the penalties to the sending nation.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I got no uptick on potatoes from this area. I did get a slight increase in bananas but I didn't get any uptick on the next batch of bananas.

The levels in the bananas weren't dangerous unless possibly if you consumed like seven bananas a week for many months. Those two foods are radioactive phosphorus, you pee that out usually.

I never tried the frozen fish and don't like kelp so don't have it in the house to test.
edit on 6-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
How can the contamination NOT BE INEVITABLE......? HOW?
You bet your bippy that there will be more coming yet too!
This is just the beginning.....so far they have held a lot of the contamination back...but they wont be able to for much longer.....
Come on people now..................

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Granite

Fukashima disaster helps TPTB plans to cull the population down a few trillion so don't expect Government intervention.
San Diego cannery is probably still radiation free, but by next year it too will be contaminated I am afraid.

A few trillion? Do you even know how many people are on the planet? About 7 billion. It's not trillion, it's billion. BIG difference. Sorry had to say something. lol

Personally I won't eat seafood unless my husband brings it from where he is. It's completely fresh and free of pollution there. I won't eat any seafood from the coasts of Japan or any country over that way or the Gulf here.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
How do they know its Fukushima radiation? does it have its own signature?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
How do they know its Fukushima radiation? does it have its own signature?

Evenin',

I believe what you seek can be found here...

en.wikipedia.org...

-Peace-

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

So it has a fingerprint? Interesting

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Granite

Fukashima disaster helps TPTB plans to cull the population down a few billion so don't expect Government intervention.

That is pretty much how I see it as well.

Fresh water fish will still be edible for a while but from now on, I suggest all ocean seafood intake come strictly from indoor operations and to anyone who can't find such an alternative, I would just strike seafood from my diet permanantly. Drastic times call for drastic measures...for example; those who just love salmon, consider an Omega-3 supplement instead.

-Peace-
edit on 6-4-2014 by Eryiedes because: ETA

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

So less radiotive then say a banana or potatoe? I mean at 1700 or 1800 counts per min it would take about 28 days of constant exposure to give you a dose that would increase you chance of cancer. So unless you are eating this seafood non stop for almost a month your body is more than capable of processing this radiation as it does in many other foods.

Your information is misleading.

The Ole' "bananas are more dangerous than a melted reactor core" ploy, eh? Your math about number of "counts" is irrelevant. Potentially it only takes one count, one ionizing radiation event (one 'Click' on a Geiger counter) to smash a gene which then gives rise to cancer the next time the cell divides. Thats why there is no "safe minimum dose" as they call it. A dose of radiation is on going if the source of the radiation is inside you.

The body doesn't "process" Radionuclides, in many cases it stores them. Mostly, they are invisible to even the immune system because they are so small. Radioactive Cesium is grabbed up and used in your bone structure the way non radioactive Cesium is (the body can't tell the difference). There it sits in your bones, irradiating cells for as long as the Cesium is radioactive. Don't confuse yourself with half-lives, the Cesium will be irradiating your bones long after they turn to dust in the grave.

And thats just cesium. Plutonium has a "half life" of 24,000 years. How many times can an atom recycle in the chain of life and be as deadly as the day it was released from the reactors?

Heres a photo from a book called "Working in the Fields of the Bomb".

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

stirling
How can the contamination NOT BE INEVITABLE......? HOW?
You bet your bippy that there will be more coming yet too!
This is just the beginning.....so far they have held a lot of the contamination back...but they wont be able to for much longer.....
Come on people now…...............

Yah, Down the road the stuff will work its way around the planet. In the waterways, weather, animals, fish and birds, activity of transporting things around the planet. As time goes on the only sure way of protecting your self and you local environment will be to do your own measuring. Detectors are expensive. How much do you value your life and those you love?

Bite the bullet and get a Mr. Inspector with pancake probe and earn how to use it to monitor your own food, liquids and environment.

it will be the only way to be sure.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Thank you for that good information rickymouse.

It is very important that anyone in any stage of kidney failure totally avoid potatoes and bananas.

Phosphorus and potassium are not filtered out of the body that has kidney failure and can cause serious problems.

Potatoes and bananas were the first foods that I stopped eating after I found I had stage 4 kidney failure.

Peace and Love to all.

edit on 6-4-2014 by dizziedame because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

So it has a fingerprint? Interesting

A geiger counter does not provide any information about the isotopic composition. That is done through gamma spectrum analysis.
en.wikipedia.org...

There is no way, with this science project, to determine the source or even the radionuclides involved.
edit on 4/7/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ahhh thats kind of what i was thinking to begin with.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Evenin',

By all means sir...enjoy your Surf & Turf.

-Peace-

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I don't know what that has to do with my post but thank you, I will.
But nothing from the waters near Fukushima.
edit on 4/7/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

join