It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save our podcast, patent trolling...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
So i just read an article about patent trolls and apparently they are trying to put an end to podcasting. This is unbelievable. Is this what it really has come to in our society?

So apparently Adam Carolla is getting seud for....

Well, the company is back with a "new" patent, 8,112,504, called a "System for disseminating media content representing episodes in a serialized sequence" and appears to be claiming that podcasting itself violates the patent -- and has sued three podcasters, including Adam Carolla's "ACE Broadcasting," HowStuffWorks and Togi Entertainment. Personal Audio focuses on claim 31 of the patent, which you can read here:

Source..
I'm a podcaster, i work on a podcast with ATS Live, and two others. I'm not trying to recruit people to donate to any cause or anything but i would like to open up a discussion about this topic to see what the community thinks.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

This is a huge problem and touches on the so called "tort reform" territory. I do not think we should restrict or change our legal right to sue because some scumbags are misusing that right. We need a better solution and I am open to ideas.

To Plunder or Not To Plunder

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I agree.

What is a solution to this type of idiocy besides changing our cultural mindset?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by greencmp

I agree.

What is a solution to this type of idiocy besides changing our cultural mindset?

I think shame is the best tool for many of these ethical transgressions.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
While they may indeed be trying to make a buck (or just control) podcasting, due to the very vague descriptions they could indeed inadvertently be taking on YouTube as well as many videos are audio only programs (like Alex Jones and Art Bell). Google's lawyers will bankrupt them quickly enough.

The specific port huber calls could also be said to infringe upon free and open data transfer protocols, which would be illegally trying to monopolize what is open sources.

You can probably be issued a patent for banging two rocks together as means of communication, but it doesn't mean you will become rich off of it.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Seems to me the guys approving or denying patents are probably just as corrupt as the rest of the rotten system out there. Probably lots of backroom deals being made. "PSSSSSSSST, hey, approve my obvious crap patent, and I will make sure 2% of the proceeds made from lawsuits are funneled back to your pocket." I don't see any other way some of these patents are not just laughed away.

top topics

join