It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Kamchatka volcano erupts ash at altitude of 6 km

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Another volcano goes pop this time in east Russia.

PETROPAVLOVSK-KAMCHATSKY, April 06 /ITAR-TASS/. Volcano Shiveluch has erupted ash at an altitude of six kilometres above sea level in Russian Far East’s Ust-Kamchatsky municipal entity, Kamchatka branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences geophysical service stated on Sunday. The ash plume has spread northwest of the volcano towards Bay Ozernoy not affecting any settlements, the Kamchatka territorial emergency situation department said. No threat exists for settlements. The volcano is ranked with orange aeronautical code of high eruption hazard.

ITAR-TASS:Russan
I went to the RSOE EDIS site and its another volcano on the ring of fire and RSOE map
also saying that the Shishaldin Volcano to the west is also starting to rumble and
the alert level gone up.

I don't know if this a up tick or anything but with the activity in south America lately
thought id do a post to let people know.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
From a quick glance at this map there seems to be about 30 erupting volcanoes right now, and over 100 active volcanoes now as well, seems a tad over normal:

Active volcano list/map

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Well poop. I just went through a winter that didn't quit. Now we're looking at global cooling from volcanic ash?

I can't take it any more!

F&S

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I was just going to post that, so I will say:
Nice no more worries about global warming!

The oil corps would love a mini ice age, ooh think of the profits!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
the norm is about 60 eruptions per year (i think?). since we're only a quarter of the way through the year.... 30 does seem a little high.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

pasiphae
the norm is about 60 eruptions per year (i think?). since we're only a quarter of the way through the year.... 30 does seem a little high.

We had a record-breaking year in 2013 with 83 eruptions. We're well on our way to shattering that record this year.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
looking at where this volcano is, is it going to cause an issue with air travel? most aircraft from Asia normally follow the coastal areas to North America rather than across the ocean.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

We had a record-breaking year in 2013 with 83 eruptions. We're well on our way to shattering that record this year.

We are? Do you have a data source for that figure? How many eruptions were there by April of 2013? How many ongoing?
edit on 4/6/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Apparently, by this time in April 2013, there were 22 erupting volcanoes - by the end of April 2013 it had dropped to 21 erupting. So, all in all, seems to be about the same if slightly above average - not really proof of anything really.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

From the same source I got those numbers, it states there are 21 erupting volcanoes up to April 1st 2014, so it is pretty much the same as 2013.

top topics

join