It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Police being trained to be oppressive and violent?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...I am not a cop hater and I understand it must be a difficult job but does that give police the right to oppress and physically assault people in the process or arrest or detention? I personally feel there must be something wrong with the current training protocol and hiring standards which has drastically increased the number of police with a bully mentality. My conspiracy mind tells me there is various reasons why TPTB would want such actions to take place which mainly causes fear in the general populace which in turn makes controlling the masses easier. I truly feel there is a double standard and police get way to much leniency in situations that would have a regular citizen doing serious time.

When people are given extreme levels of responsibility the consequences for betraying their public trust should logically be very harsh and discourage others from similar actions.

My question is are police being trained to be less compassionate, more violent and more dishonest? Please keep it civil as this topic can cause people to make personal attacks and hate filled posts, I ask mods to remove posts that derail the topic as this is a serious question that applies to everyone who might have to deal with the police. I'll also post this video montage with some obvious cases of the actions I have mentioned.

edit on 5-4-2014 by Slickinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Slickinfinity

My question is are police being trained to be less compassionate, more violent and more dishonest?

Can't speak to the less compassionate or more dishonest potion of your question but as far as more violent, the answer is yes in some areas at least.

New police training puts fewer limits on use of force

In this case "fewer limit's on use of force" is code for more force, deadly and otherwise. This is obviously being borne out in light of recent police violence in New Mexico.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

no i dont think they are.

the problem is police training is a direct reflection and response to the ever increasingly violent world we live in these days.

nobody has any respect for authority whether at home or in public. its all around us, the violence the madness...people getting pulled from their cars and be-headed while onlookers just sit there and do nothing...until...wait for it...the POLICE comes to the scene to put an end to the horror.

its not an easy job, you have to deal with the absolute worst of society, the kind of stuff that you hear about and say..."im glad i dont have to deal with that"...well guess what...the police does.

they are changing....im talking about the new generation of cops... the ones in their mid to early 20's...they are bringing back the word "peace officer" back...

unfortunately there are some older cops who haven't adapted to the growing dislike and disrespect for police...so they meet force with force, rather than talking things out.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Possibly it is as you suggest, but on the other hand ....

In general we see this type of behaviour in larger Police Departments. These are simply very large bureaucracies. These continue to grow and will always aim to protect themselves from negative PR. Over time, as more and more situations involving Police brutality go unpunished, more and more Police become emboldened and so we end up in the state we are now in.

As bureaucracies grow, they seek more and more power in a cascading spiral. Swat now responds to serving summons and thus they need more and more swat teams and the organization becomes more and more powerful.

Add to this, the lethargy of the general public to bite back and you can see how we get to where we are today.

As Police become more and more violent, a different type of person seeks admission. In the past, many Police wanted to genuinely make a difference, now though, more and more thugs apply for the jobs. I see a pattern which started when Police Recruiting started to put limits on higher IQs.

The truth is somewhere between my view and yours, where exactly is up for debate.

We The Citizens end up with the Police we are willing to tolerate. Stop tolerating them and the problem will go away. Citizens need to remember that they have the power to make citizens arrests and when all is said and done, a Police Officer is just a citizen with a badge. Granted, they also have the guns, but then, so do the citizens. It just takes courage.

P

edit on 5/4/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
No idea really, but I suspect not.

I suspect that this kind of "training" (or maybe conditioning or behavior are better words) is coming from elsewhere, maybe misunderstanding during training or maybe from the military, self-study, peer pressure or indoctrination ritual, or even too much TV.

Some of that is tongue in cheek. But these are all possibilities.

And if it is coming from their training, they're not ever going to write it down or admit it anyway. It would take some whistle blowers to know for sure, and even then it might be isolated (bad instructor or area).

edit on 4/6/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I also wonder if it is the kind of people who go into this job and often the thrill of the power, possibly, that causes them to act so aggressive. Especially when in packs, because they feed on a certain mob mentality/pack mentality, and they know they are the powerful ones.

That being said, police brutality in my own city appears to be low or atleast not recorded/reported. I am from Canada but I don't believe any police force is actively training their officers in acts of brutality, rather its a side effect of both the officers own psychological state and an ever aggressive society.

Maybe, for the sake of thoughts, a specific officer had recently been in several violent altercations not of his own making, and just happened to be a little TOO on guard they day he became so aggressive it crossed over into assault.

Either way, they should all wear camera's that they cannot access which is constantly recorded, maybe if little brother watched big brother as well, he wouldn't be so quick to play bad cop.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
They need to be tough and shoot first as they put their lives on the line every single day to serve and protect us..... or so they keep saying and would have us believe!

The annual report from the nonprofit National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund also found that deaths in the line of duty generally fell by 8 percent and were the fewest since 1959.

According to the report, 111 federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers were killed in the line of duty nationwide this past year, compared to 121 in 2012.

Forty-six officers were killed in traffic related accidents, and 33 were killed by firearms. The number of firearms deaths fell 33 percent in 2013 and was the lowest since 1887.

www.techdirt.com... unchanged.shtml

So, if cop deaths are so low, why all the military hardware and massive overreaction to almost all circumstances, and stamping (quite literally) their perceived authority onto everyone?
I think it's safe to say that the "few bad apples" excuse is way past the point where it can be used seriously, given the amount of encounters turning up on the net, and the apparent contempt the officers seem to show for anyone "not them" and the actual law.
edit on 6-4-2014 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Where I live the police I have spoken with have always seemed very easy to deal with but I've only interacted in non confrontational situations. Most of the abuse of power I have seen in my life has indeed taken place in larger cities and I am going to make the assumption that larger cities add significantly more stress on police. I really try to understand and empathize with police and really would never want to encounter some of the horrible things they have to deal with and I know they are important in maintaining a civil society. Having said that I am still at a loss of words when I see the amount of what is in my opinion completely brutally unnecessary uses of force. I am also a conspiracy minded person who believes some very evil people have a lot of power and influence so I've came to the notion that the increase in violence is an intended form of psychological warfare on the populace.

The way I see it is people who went to school for a long time and get elected into various offices and become judges, DA's and chiefs of police all seem to be fine with how things are going. People who have those credentials and are in charge of life or death decisions should have provided better training protocols or punish police who break the law but it really seems they do not for the most part?

I know the internet video age has spammed the net with brutality video's and no one posts police doing good or their regular sometimes boring things at their job but the video's have been more than just a few. What happened before so many cell cams and if that city in California that made police wear cams had that big of a reductions in police violence then that really answers some questions for me.

As it stands for me I think there are many good police but also many bad bully type police and the good ones do not seem to speak out as I hope they should because I would be ashamed to have colleague's engage in some of the things caught on tape. From the illegal camper shot in NM to the kid killed by the BART official, it just seems to me like there is a psychological game being played. The more people are divided and hateful towards each other is makes it easier for the elite to maintain their corrupt system. Ty for the replies so far good points from all and I will never claim to have all the answers I just speculate based on the information I have been exposed to.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I dont think they ate being trained to be oppressive, I think its the lack of propper training and laws that are put into place to "protect" cops. Also a cop should never be suspened WITH pay. As it only gives them more incentive to be oppressive for they know that if they get caught they get a free PAID HOLIDAY until the "investigation" against them has ended. Im a firm believer that if you have a job and you are not working then you do not deserve to get paid.

Here is the solution. Hire men and women with higher IQs, (yes people do get rejected the right to be a cop if their IQ is TOO high) spend more time training and preparing cops to be more mentaly stable, take away their right to be suspended with pay and fire any cop who harrasses another cop because they arrested or ratted out dirty cops. If you do just those few simple things im sure you will see a change in the way police operate.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Police are trained nowadays for the worst case scenario. Be prepared for anything. That tends to heavy handedness. And that looks like brutality.

Don't be confused though, they have their best interests at heart, first.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I wonder how many of these brutal police actions have involved an officer that spent 4 or 5 years in Iraq or Afghanistan. Patrolling urban areas, knocking down doors and dealing with armed combatants on a daily basis.
Now come back to the U.S. and get a job doing basically the same thing, probably hard to forget the past.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

~Lucidity
No idea really, but I suspect not.

I suspect that this kind of "training" (or maybe conditioning or behavior are better words) is coming from elsewhere, maybe misunderstanding during training or maybe from the military, self-study, peer pressure or indoctrination ritual, or even too much TV.

Some of that is tongue in cheek. But these are all possibilities.

And if it is coming from their training, they're not ever going to write it down or admit it anyway. It would take some whistle blowers to know for sure, and even then it might be isolated (bad instructor or area).

edit on 4/6/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

It cant be coming from military training, a soldier would be put in jail for half the stuff they get away with, if they did it in Iraq.

Soldiers are held to a higher standard. They do get punished.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

I wonder how many of these brutal police actions have involved an officer that spent 4 or 5 years in Iraq or Afghanistan. Patrolling urban areas, knocking down doors and dealing with armed combatants on a daily basis. Now come back to the U.S. and get a job doing basically the same thing, probably hard to forget the past. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not that many-or not as many as you might think. The last recruiting class of 48 had no Iraq or Afghanistan experience although 18 had military training.

The problem is that their military records for combat are available and the slightest write down counts against them.

14 were college graduates looking for OTS in the future. 9 were from families with law enforcement in their history. 6-if I can read my own handwriting-were technical school 2 year graduates.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I think one of the biggest issues is when a cop shows up to handle a call....it is sometimes the most dramatic moment in someone's life...but for the cop...its call number 3 in the first hour of his shift. After seeing the drama every single day over and over with usually..the same people. I think all cops lose a lot of sensitivity. Once a cop hits that stage they either learn to just deal with it or become angry.

I think there is more pressure to have "results" in generating revenue more than anything else right now. We illegally had a quota...after several of us bitched about it they changed it so your numbers could include warnings. Well cops started instantly writing warnings all over instead of tickets which wasnt generating revenue. Administrators got mad...city managers got mad...cops became the bastard children of the city because we werent just running out and writing everyone every ticket we could.

It was all about money and cops ended up being hated by the public and the city because we wrote the tickets to the public but not enough for the city to make the money they thought we would.

Honestly at this point the whole thing is junk and my recommendation is for everyone to resist everything they possibly can...nothing will change by vote....if you try to change anything with violence you will just be killed....so just passively resist everything.. make it expensive to maintain you. If everyone does it itll be too difficult for them to maintain such tight order.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

The issue here isn't training, it is human nature. No amount of training can change the character of a person. I have seen some horrendous training examples but, I dismiss this as intentional not that it necessarily isn't but because we need not focus on that to resolve this issue.

You can't give an immature person with a limited appreciation for liberty and freedom carte blanche and expect them to be saints.

Less police with less resources and less authority is the only answer.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Short answer yes.

Long answer, yes, but they arent really trained to be violent and oppressive rather they are hired because they are stupid and the oppression and violence comes naturally with the power and the gang mentality.

Police stations openly hire people with lower i.q.'s for a reason. The reason (the real reason) is not what is stated by the departments. They say its because higher I.q. people will get bored and quit. That's complete b.s. in this economy there are tena of thousands of intelligent young people working min wage, no one is quitting a career out of boredom. Its because they want dumb malleable men who follow rather than lead. I also suspect they hire former soldiers for the same reason.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

ooYODAoo

no i dont think they are.

the problem is police training is a direct reflection and response to the ever increasingly violent world we live in these days.

nobody has any respect for authority whether at home or in public. its all around us, the violence the madness...people getting pulled from their cars and be-headed while onlookers just sit there and do nothing...until...wait for it...the POLICE comes to the scene to put an end to the horror.

its not an easy job, you have to deal with the absolute worst of society, the kind of stuff that you hear about and say..."im glad i dont have to deal with that"...well guess what...the police does.

they are changing....im talking about the new generation of cops... the ones in their mid to early 20's...they are bringing back the word "peace officer" back...

unfortunately there are some older cops who haven't adapted to the growing dislike and disrespect for police...so they meet force with force, rather than talking things out.

Blaming the victim is predictable for authoritarians and their apologists. It's morally repugnant. LEOs have been arming up and ramping up violence as crime rates are plummeting. Your statements are patently false. The emphasis on the safety of cowards is the root cause of the problem.

If you are a coward, do the world a favor and find another line of work. Don't blame the victims of your cowardice.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Good to a see a discussion on the subject taking place and lots of good points made so far. I still believe there is some psychological conditioning going on and the police are a major part of it weather its willingly or not. The more I look into this and see just how easy police get away with over the top violence tells me things are going as planned.

The city in California that made police wear cameras had such a drop in police violence and complaints of violence that it seems monitoring all police interactions is the only sane thing to do.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If that is so why add erroneous information?

The cameras were voluntary and had nothing to do with police misconduct. The cameras were an attempt to save the taxpayers millions of dollars that they must fork out in defense of frivolous lawsuits.

Case in point. A woman was suing the city because she said the sun was deflected off of an officers badge and it temporally blinder her-she was asking for $500,000 for intentional harm.

Another one was the parents of a teenager were suing because a police patrol unit was parked across the street. After the teenager was jailed on a breaking and entering charge the parents said that the police car 'intimidated' the teen and forced him to break into a car to 'reestablish' his streetcred and manhood.

They wanted a million and a half.

They would never get away with that here. However all of California's problems they have no one to blame but themselves.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Another one was the parents of a teenager were suing because a police patrol unit was parked across the street. After the teenager was jailed on a breaking and entering charge the parents said that the police car 'intimidated' the teen and forced him to break into a car to 'reestablish' his streetcred and manhood.
reply to post by spooky24

seriously?

I did read one time years ago that a big or biggest part of a city budget was earmarked for lawsuit payouts. I don't know if that is or was true though

top topics

<<   2 >>

join