It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans and saber-toothed tiger met in Germany 300,000 years ago!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

Does the article tell us how that itsy bitsy wooden spear managed to survive all of this time? I should think it would have decomposed into nothing by now.

Hey, thanks for the thread. Great find.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Riddles

Does the article tell us how that itsy bitsy wooden spear managed to survive all of this time? I should think it would have decomposed into nothing by now.

To tell the truth I was very surprised to see whole spears, I was expecting a few bits of petrified wood and stone spear tips. I see no references to these be anything other than the actual spears that were recovered at the site, if they are the preservation is mind numbing to say the least.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

NO. The Bible does NOT say the earth is only 6,000 years old.

Some rather prissy, less than thoughtful purported Christians CLAIM that the Bible says that. They're wrong.

Prissy calculations that are flawed to begin with prove nothing.

Besides, The Bible does NOT say what the world was like

BEFORE

it was "formless and void."

It could have been 300,000 year old spears or 1,000,000 year old spears as far as what the Biblical record would allow.

It's not at all certain that the prissy calculations about the length of time since Adam are remotely accurate.

And it's CERTAINLY NOT CERTAIN that there's any hint of a clue about how much time on earth had lapsed BEFORE the earth was "formless and void" just prior to Adam's call to the scene.

Shoot, there are Chinese characters that are 7,000 years old.

God could have started over with a "formless and void" stage thousands of times.

For all we know, there could have been flying saber toothed tigers with rainbow stripes many eons ago.

God evidently just didn't think it fitting to write about the world BEFORE the "formless and void" period just before Adam, in His Word.

edit on 5/4/2014 by BO XIAN because: clearer

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
oh I thought this is common knowledge.
I live in a region here in Germany with a lot of caves and where a lot of sabertoothed tigers had been found.
When I was a kid, I was visiting a local museum and they told us how the humans have been chasing these animals off the cliffs in our region to kill them.
I always assumed it was known, but maybe they just lied to us in the museum. I have never been really interested in this stuff

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Riddles

The spears were found in an area that was being mined for lignite. The area was a bog when the spears were deposited there. The minerals and acidity of the water prevented decomposition, just like the remains that are found peat cutting operations in Europe. These deposits are much older and the peat has turned into lignite.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks. Peat bogs explains it nicely!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

benrl
Going at a large cat with a spear...

Just stop and think,

every generation of your ancestor,

The level of bad ass it took.

To place you here, on ATS in front of a computer...

Im going to go cook a steak over a roaring fire or do something rugged to make me feel better.

For them it was everyday life.........

For us? I'm thinking even the most bad ass tough guy would wet his pants if he was handed a sharp pointy branch and told to take out a large predator that weighed around 600 pounds, have very sharp teeth (along with some very long tusks) and of course large, sharp claws.

Personally I would be hoping to be near a very tall tree that I could climb, and hope the durn thing can't climb too! To heck with the stick!

Nice kitty! Nice kitty! Go away!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Interesting spears-To me they look like they may have been used to thrust and jab at the animals rather than be thrown-they don't look straight enough to be thrown accurately,although its hard to be sure as time may have warped the wood.
It takes serious stones to face down a giant cat with a pointy stick-our ancestors would probably laugh at what we have become in the modern age with our central heating and computers.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I suspect they also dug pits and simply lured, with the fastest runner, the big cat onto the pit and then stabbed at it from above.

Some woods are very very strong and perhaps they treated the spears. One of the pictures sure looks like the beginning of a bow and the English Archers in the middle ages used to pull a considerable weight which would give either a spear type arrow one hell of a thrust into the chest cavity of a large cat.

Odd to think of the saber toothed pussy as linked to my cat! However I also have trouble mentally linking T Rex to a sweet little canary.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Thank you for your answer on the question.

Still, I'm surprised wood can last so long and look so good. I wonder why it hasn't been industrialized as a wood conservation method...? lol

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I believe that they were thrusting spears also. That would be the reason for both ends being tapered. If you break one tip, you could just turn the spear around and use the other end.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

NowanKenubi

Thank you for your answer on the question.

Still, I'm surprised wood can last so long and look so good. I wonder why it hasn't been industrialized as a wood conservation method...? lol

Thanks!

It is used. Pressure treated lumber has minerals forced into the wood to inhibit bacterial and fungal growth. If we could keep a piece of it oxygen free, like the bogs do, it would last indefinitely.
edit on bu302014-04-06T07:03:32-05:0007America/ChicagoSun, 06 Apr 2014 07:03:32 -05007u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by Riddles

The spears were found in an area that was being mined for lignite. The area was a bog when the spears were deposited there. The minerals and acidity of the water prevented decomposition, just like the remains that are found peat cutting operations in Europe. These deposits are much older and the peat has turned into lignite.

Thank you for your very informative reply, I was at a loss on how the wood could be preserved so long.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

TrueAmerican
But wait, the Bible says the earth is at most less than ten thousand years old! Someone is lying.

benrl
Im going to go cook a steak over a roaring fire or do something rugged to make me feel better.

Lol.

No, first you must face and slay the raging bull with a spear, and carve it with a stone rock, to prove you are worthy to eat it. Raw.

The bible says nothing of the sort, although it appears to be something that fundamentalist Christians keep asserting with nothing concrete to base it on.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

hi AD
i think some of those are not tapered spears, they are tapered, slightly recurved, bows

about 10 minutes in
edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago50 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago16 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Good morning DB

I have made a few self bows and as I stated the tapering reminded of bows, but being round, having fire hardened tips and the lack of string grooves has me siding with idea they are spears.

Archaeological research carried out at the Neolithic site of La Draga, near the lake of Banyoles, has yielded the discovery of an item which is unique in the western Mediterranean and Europe. The item is a bow which appeared in a context dating from the period between 5400-5200 BCE, corresponding to the earliest period of settlement. It is a unique item given that it is the first bow to be found in tact at the site. According to its date, it can be considered chronologically the most ancient bow of the Neolithic period found in Europe. The study will permit the analysis of aspects of the technology, survival strategies and social organisation of the first farming communities which settled in the Iberian Peninsula. The bow is 108 cm long and presents a plano-convex section. Worth mentioning is the fact that it is made out of yew wood (Taxus baccata) as were the majority of Neolithic bows in Europe.

source

edit on 6-4-2014 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

likely you are right but it is also possible that they used a slightly different way of doing things
for example:
instead of notches which were difficult with out the right tool, maybe they just used horse tail strings with loops
like some amerindians did
here is a so so link, but it shows the taper with out notches
www.deepcreektimes.com...
they used sinew at that link, but i also know that some used braided horse tail hair

also there is the double taper, on a spear?
and the recurve on especially the one example in the OP ?
edit on Sunpm4b20144America/Chicago13 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

not a big deal though on a very sandf thread

i just keep finding the ancients were smarter then we often think

edit on Sunpm4b20144America/Chicago39 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

You made me think it's possible they were bows, I like that.

And fire hardened tips for spearing if a large animal charged, it's possible.

But...

...that would mean rewriting history.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Riddles

The wood had probably been encased in clay or peat. These materials absorb all the oxygen and water so there is no decomposition. They discovered the Mary Rose (a 16th century wooden gun boat this way)

en.wikipedia.org...

I wonder if perhaps the spears had a duel or triple use as bows and arrows? If some kind of cord could be tied around one of them, it could be used to propel the others.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

fire hardened back up bow spears?
damn you're good
I love arguing with you

don't know about history, which just got rewritten in the OP anyhow, so why not go all the way?

but my next homemade bow.....

and bow shot is as close as i want to be to a saber toothed tiger, or a cave bear, or a mastodon...
or even some toronto soreassed wrecks

ps
@Storm
the mary rose is in the vid i linked to above...
thats where i saw the douple pointed english long bows...preserved as stated
they are the oldest actual examples of english long bows known

edit on Sunpm4b20144America/Chicago53 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Sunpm4b20144America/Chicago25 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join