It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone killings case thrown out in US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

A US federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed against the government by the families of three American citizens killed by drones in Yemen, saying senior officials cannot be held personally responsible

So basicly, its war, people die, can't be held accountable for it.

But, are we conducting war in Yemen?

"The question presented is whether federal officials can be held personally liable for their roles in drone strikes abroad that target and kill U.S. citizens," Collyer said in her opinion. "The question raises fundamental issues regarding constitutional principles and it is not easy to answer."

But the judge said she would grant the government's motion to dismiss the case.

Yep, its a hard question to answer, so best not answer it and just dismiss...

The American Civil Liberties Union and the Centre for Constitutional Rights, both based in New York, represented the families. They had argued that in killing American citizens the government violated fundamental rights under the US constitution to due process and to be free from unreasonable seizure.

"This is a deeply troubling decision that treats the government's allegations as proof while refusing to allow those allegations to be tested in court," said ACLU lawyer Hina Shamsi. "The court's view that it cannot provide a remedy for extrajudicial killings when the government claims to be at war, even far from any battlefield, is profoundly at odds with the Constitution."

These men where 3 US citizens, and no matter their crimes deserved at the very least a Trial in absentia.

the legislature has deemed it essential to the protection of one whose life or liberty is involved in a prosecution for felony, that he shall be personally present at the trial, that is, at every stage of the trial when his substantial rights may be affected by the proceedings against him. If he be deprived of his life or liberty without being so present, such deprivation would be without that due process of law required by the Constitution. Hopt v. Utah 110 US 574, 28 L Ed 262, 4 S Ct 202 (1884).

A fundamental right of the Constitution, yet this court felt the question too tough to answer...

This thought that the "Global" war on terror means we can do anything, with out being accountable is absurd.

drone killing case dismissed

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Do something then

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I put this in posse comitatus as it is a direct waving of Citizens rights on US SOIL by the US court system.

It happens to involve the Drone War on Terror, I feel its a cross issues that hits both forums equally, but mods I guess moved it.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

ScottProphhit
reply to post by benrl

Do something then

Well, that is some deep thoughtful addition to a thread.

Personally, I've written congressmen and senators about the drone war, so thanks I've done that.

Im also aware which of my Reps support such and who I chose not to vote for.

Also, as I feel this is an Egregious raping of US Citizens constitutional rights, I am bringing it to the attention of a larger community...

So thanks for the thought provoking three word response, but could you perhaps expand the thread with some actual thoughts on the posted material?

(post by ScottProphhit removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

the first step is public awareness:
the fastest way to get rid of a dictator is to make him act like one

hey, Ben at least you went to the trouble to write up a thread

possibly when the real chickens come home to roost...and wacos become a real drone on experience
then people will start to wake up to the new day thats dawning
edit on Satpm4b20144America/Chicago23 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Brother your words wont change your federal court corruption, actions will. Your in the wrong place to get justice, rally people and arrest any person who's broke the constitution you claim all your nations people should follow. If you aren't willing to do that, don't complain.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

ScottProphhit
reply to post by benrl

Brother your words wont change your federal court corruption, actions will. Your in the wrong place to get justice, rally people and arrest any person who's broke the constitution you claim all your nations people should follow. If you aren't willing to do that, don't complain.

"Do it yourself"

Is the cry of a defeatist at the best, or someone working an agenda at the worst.

It is the first lame cry issued when ever someone seeks to dishearten the activist.

You see it through out public and civil disobedience issues through out history, and while somewhat correct it is most often shouted by those with the opposing agenda.

"If they wanted civil rights they'd be more organized"

"If women wanted the vote, they'd have it already"

It is easy to point the finger at others to do the action you should be doing on your own, yes that is true. But as a citizen of a Republic there is a larger societal obligation that falls to every citizen.

Not just those being oppressed, if a Law is Amoral, it is certainly EVERY citizens duty to voice their concerns through the legal re-courses provided by government.

There certainly could come a time where such blatant and silly actions as (arrest them your self, as you suggested) may need to happen. It is the height of stupidity and ignorance to attempt such before all legal recourse has been taken.

Of course though, there will always be people willing to cry as you have, demanding premature action in an issue that is still on going, all in an attempt to derail by pointing out the obvious and inherent difficulties of such processes.
edit on 5-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I am an activist. An actual one. I do things. You complain. That's why my actions are heard and you are oppressed.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

ScottProphhit
reply to post by benrl

I am an activist. An actual one. I do things. You complain. That's why my actions are heard and you are oppressed.

You can keep telling yourself that, but by your very words Id question it.

You are an Activist.

Thats Good.

I am a citizen of a republic, with a larger and greater societal obligation that I take far more seriously than words on a message board or some youthful rebellion.

You advocate rash actions, I advocate using the real existing systems in-place to achieve actual change...

Im sure, your voice is no more heard than mine.

The only thing I agree with, is collective action of Citizen is what is needed.

Just not the way you advocate.
edit on 5-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Omg are you serious? You need to get away from a screen

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I agree with you. It is a tough question though. The ones responsible should be tried in military court for killing innocent civilians - if that is what they were. You are smart enough to know what I am alluding to, but in truth we will never know.

I am american born/raised, I want to be free even though it is an illusion, I am prepared to die for it. And it is a shame more don't stand up due to personal comfort. Ask someone to write a text or sign a petition, no problem. Ask people to go to the streets and protest peacefully, not as many. Ask them to die for a cause, yea right! Not in this day and age, there are only a handful left.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

ScottProphhit

Well looks like it's in the citizens hands to take action.

And sure, arrest them yourself, chicken

benrl
Ill engage you in open discourse on any topic you wish.

That is if you can muster up a level of thought and maturity above the average internet troll.

Issues of maturity and trolling aside; it's had to have any meaningful discourse about a government that is fundamentally *insane*.

Personally, I welcome the continuing crimes of this government, thru the military, police, politicians, central banksters and financial sectors. They are continuing their moral and legal devolution at breathtaking velocity. At some point, even the most brain-dead among us will dust off their grey matter and start to use it again.

Sooner is better. The stronger the reaction .... the better.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
SO what there saying is the whole world is the battlefield right? Well we have drones flying over America just not armed right? or so we think. eventually even America willbe considered the battlefield right when the governemnt wants to tak esomeone out that they deem a terrorist or an undesirable.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

AnteBellum
reply to post by benrl

I agree with you. It is a tough question though. The ones responsible should be tried in military court for killing innocent civilians - if that is what they were. You are smart enough to know what I am alluding to, but in truth we will never know.

I am american born/raised, I want to be free even though it is an illusion, I am prepared to die for it. And it is a shame more don't stand up due to personal comfort. Ask someone to write a text or sign a petition, no problem. Ask people to go to the streets and protest peacefully, not as many. Ask them to die for a cause, yea right! Not in this day and age, there are only a handful left.

We are told constantly and loudly with one voice that Voting does not matter.

This tells me one thing, it does.

If utilized by the apathetic populace, to just once vote in real numbers (more than 20 percent)

It would force politicians who pander to the extremes to get away with their crimes, to be brought into the open.

Just one time, if those that cried "the systems broke" decided just once, to use the broke system to their advantage, vote the incumbents out.

But we don't, why?

Because voting is rigged, it doesn't work, etc...

Like one poster said, if the crimes keep coming this fast and blatant, at some point the tide will turn.

Not even a "violent" one, but a "paper" one, one where the Populace has decided their voice should be heard, and for once they ignore all those voices saying you can't.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I mean these terms that the government makes up to justify there actions ar eno different them the trciks that the banker's use for the ir terminology so they can rig the system so it only works for them who know the terminology.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

juspassinthru

Personally, I welcome the continuing crimes of this government, thru the military, police, politicians, central banksters and financial sectors. They are continuing their moral and legal devolution at breathtaking velocity. At some point, even the most brain-dead among us will dust off their grey matter and start to use it again.

Sooner is better. The stronger the reaction .... the better.

I Agree some,

The reason things are the way they are though, is they still need to pander to the sheep.

Though they are getting more and more obvious about their strong arming.

I think one day soon people may have had enough, the key is to watch how that gets channeled.

Chaos is opportunity, and yes, these stories keep coming, what I fear is what and who will rise to channel that anger.

Tea party and Occupy are good examples, channeled and controlled the same frustration into two separate and cross purposed attempts.

I certainly hope we can all get over the My team mentality and see that we are all citizens on the same sinking boat, it behooves us to stand united, not divided.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

A fundamental right of the Constitution, yet this court felt the question too tough to answer…

What did you expect? A federal crime heard in a federal court…

This thought that the "Global" war on terror means we can do anything, with out being accountable is absurd.

The "War on Terror" is absurd. How do we "account" for that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join