It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4X4 bascis for the newbe.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
For a great and simple vehicle, to me, nothing beats a jeep CJ. the absolute best year was the final year 1986. as it had the dana 44 rear end.

I had a 1983 cj7 with a worked over 258 inline 6, one piece rear axles, built 5 speed, no electronics and a snorkel kit. That thing would go anywhere. Oh and BFG tires.

Also had the sweetest jeep ever, a CJ8 scrambler handed down from my mother. that was a tar baby though, lol way too rare and nice to take off road, maybe a corn field here and there, lol.

the wrangler that replaced the jeep in 1987 was trash compared to the CJ, only cool thing was the half doors. and later the 4.0 HO

these days, the new 4 door wranglers are pretty sweet, kind of like pickups, wtf took so long to get 4 doors mainstream when the rest of the world had them common place decades earlier.

For a SHTF full size vehicle, the absolute BEST is a Ford Super Duty 1999-2001(some) as those cam with the never die 7.3 powerstroke with forged internals. The six speed manual, manual shift transfer case and manual locking hubs. One of these in crew cab can be near unbreakable in stock form.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thank you sir. i have learned a lot in my life, and what stands out is, if you bang on something that doesn't work it might surprise you

but im pretty sure that's what it is. If im parked on flat ground and no one around, i'll remember that. thanks for the help! Been a rough lady month.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have had the pleasure of owning Hummer H1's, H2's, and H3's. For the most part, though, the H1 is too wide for most trails. The H2 is a bit narowwer, and the H3 is just the right size.

All three, though, with the massive amount of torque in the H1, are great off road toys. The H1 has Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) which you can inflate and deflate the tires on demand. VERY nice feature. The H2 however, has only an onboard air compressor, which really is under powered for the H2's wheel size. Inflating an H2 wheel from empty takes a long time!

And, I only got hung up once with the H1. Quite embarrassing when I had to call in a tow truck
I learned a lot about approach angles that night LOL!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Quads and snowmobiles get around far far better than a 4x4 truck in the bush, sorry to say.

If you're bugging out deep into the woods, the plan should be to bug out somewhere that vehicles can't access in any way shape or form.

Isn't that the whole point ?!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

CranialSponge
Quads and snowmobiles get around far far better than a 4x4 truck in the bush, sorry to say.

If you're bugging out deep into the woods, the plan should be to bug out somewhere that vehicles can't access in any way shape or form.

Isn't that the whole point ?!

You are half right there.

There are many SHTF situations where normal everyday roads can become impassible in a normal car. Earthquakes and floods can turn highways into buckled contorted messes that a regular car has no hope of travelling down. For those of us who live in a city, just getting out of it is where an SUV or 4wd will be worth it's weight in gold.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The most important component of any 4x4 is the nut holding the steering wheel

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Good advice for city people
. That is a good truck you have. Toyota's are great. I have an '01 V6 4X4. It is an extra cab but I know how to do it. IMO, the best vehicle that you could ever own for backwoods traveling is a Suzuki Samurai 4X4. They have great gas mileage and go like a tank. Plus they fit on ATV trails. That's what I use if I'm going into 'the hills' or bad areas. I've pulled out Ford, Chevy, and many other vehicles with it. I use BF Goody all season tires but the BF Goody mud & snow are incredible as well.

Note: Suzuki Sidekick is NOT the same thing; two totally different machines

Great thread
S&F

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

For those of us who live in a city, just getting out of it is where an SUV or 4wd will be worth it's weight in gold.

Agreed.

A 4x4 truck will get you a helluva lot further than a standard car could.

You can get somewhat off-road deeper into the bush with a 4x4, but at some point you won't be able to take the truck any further, your options become limited. Ideally, a person should have a 4x4 truck to not only get out of the city and into bush country, but also haul a quad/snowmobile/light boat on the back to take you even further into the bush once the vehicle's options come to an end.

I guess I'm looking at it from a northern Canada untamed bush perspective. There is literally hundreds of thousands of square miles of bush up here that there's no way in hell you can get to by any kind of vehicle (4x4 or not)... the forests are too dense and rocky, and the waterways blockade you in every direction.

... And not for lack of trying by many-a Canuck, LOL.

The only choice from that point is to hoof it on foot, or by quad, or snowmobile, or portaging through the waterways. Winter is actually the best time to disappear deep into the bush up here because most of the waterways are frozen over (ie: ice road truckers), which opens up a lot more options to get to where you want to go a little easier.

In my mind, getting as far away from other people as possible and any chance of them crossing paths with you, is the best bet in a SHTF bugout type of scenario, at least until the chaos dies down.

If you're heading "deep into the bush" and can get there by 4x4... you're not deep enough.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Where I live that isn't really an option. I've got coastline to the south and nothing but arid lands and desert to the north, west and east.

Where I live a 4wd needs to be tough for extreme heat, endless corrugations and just about have sold rubber wheels to avoid punctures. I've got loads of empty land to bug out to, but not much of its survivable without taking supplies with you.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Domo1
reply to post by bobbeers

Worst case scenario get something long and metal and bang on the starter while someone cranks it. Sometimes it works to just bang on it and then start it yourself.

That only works if the solenoid hangs up and only on those models where the solenoid is attached to the starter. On top of that it'll only work a few times before you simply have to replace that starter/solenoid

As a BTW... if your 'in the tank' fuel pumps quits on ya... banging on it might get it working again... at least long enough to get you home.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Yeah I love my 86 'Toy' but the mods I've done are well above and beyond most get in and go drivers.
I shortened the frame, moved the shackles and axel mounts forward to all to shorten the wheelbase, which meant getting a shorter driveshaft then upgrading the breaks and having to redo the suspension to accommodate the 33's the list go on and on and it's one of those projects that never really ends...

But it gives me something to do on rainy/snowy days right?

FYI I got an old 52 Willies Wagon I'll be building. No pics to show yet... right now it's just a rusted body and frame but I'm thinking a nice 383 should give her a bit more get up and haul-ass than the old straight 4 ... Just this weekend I picked up a B&M shift kit at a yard sale!

Just like the old song, one piece at a time---
edit on 7-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

If I lived where you do I would totally want a Gibbs Quadski ---Who am I kidding --- I don't have near as many places to use one but I still want it nonetheless!
its a quad bike (4x4) that turns into a water jet-ski... this is like wicked cool too!

Oh and the bad news --- This is one of those toys that if you have to ask about the price----39k

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

a 383 is good for power, but the stroke ratio is bad and their longevity compared to the almost perfect stroke sbc is pretty bad.

A small over bore 350, 1:6 ratio rockers, and good heads, will do pretty good in that willy's and cool better too. (save the stroker money for a centrifugal supercharger instead)

or a 4bt cummins really cant be beat.

for gas powered, perhaps a mopar big block? a junkyard budget build would be sick and more unique, better fitting for such a gem like that willys. imho

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

phantomjack
I have had the pleasure of owning Hummer H1's, H2's, and H3's. For the most part, though, the H1 is too wide for most trails. The H2 is a bit narowwer, and the H3 is just the right size.

All three, though, with the massive amount of torque in the H1, are great off road toys. The H1 has Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) which you can inflate and deflate the tires on demand. VERY nice feature. The H2 however, has only an onboard air compressor, which really is under powered for the H2's wheel size. Inflating an H2 wheel from empty takes a long time!

And, I only got hung up once with the H1. Quite embarrassing when I had to call in a tow truck
I learned a lot about approach angles that night LOL!

I drove humvees (h1) in the USMC. the axle shafts always break. they suck in mud, suck going fast, but are great for going in and out of creeks. they are good only for that imho.

H2 is just a gm suburban chassis, only much heavier due to the body.

a jeep CJ or newer wrangler will outperform a hummer anyday offroad

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Lol, you gotta love how you Americans are petrol V8 diehards.

Here in OZ the mighty diesel is taking the 4wd world by storm. You get better fuel economy, enough torque to move mountains and now that common rail tech has been properly developed, the same amount of power as a petrol engine.

The king of the bush over here in OZ is the rather unassuming Toyota Landruiser 70 series. They are about as exciting as a patch of mould, ride horribly and are pretty slow but they are just about indestructible and you can get a v8 diesel in them now, which makes them an unstoppable tow machine.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

I love diesel's
Back in my college days I had an old Mercedes 300D
the problem here in the states is were only just now getting small diesel engines.

Why just a few years back the only way to get a diesel was to buy one of those big 3/4 ton trucks.

It's not that we 'Yanks' don't want the small diesel's, it's just up until recently they haven't been made available to us.

Here in Colorado the big push is for CNG engines, were an oil and gas producing state so CNG should be cheap---but we lack the infrastructure to make it practical.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I already have the 383 though--- Crete motor that I got in trade a few years back when I was hoping to get my hands on an old Cuda---sadly the old man who owned it wouldn't sell--- The only other motor I have is a 454 T... that's the truck motor not the LS Vett engine BTW and way to big for that little Willies.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

305,000 miles, very nice! I've just hit 290,000 in my old '95 2nd-gen 4runner.
I have to admit to a love affair with the old tank.

I can't get rid of it--it just keeps going and going--18 mpg hwy/16.5 around town, and has taken me across the nation twice and up every rutted, washboard FS trailhead road I've asked of it.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

We had CNG in New Zealand back in the 1980's. I don't know what happened, but it's no longer available for some strange reason.

As for diesels, you might be surprised who makes the best ones - Korea, thanks to Sssangyong (whom has not yet entered the North American market yet) having a partnership with Mercedes Benz in the 1990's to explore and develop new diesel technology. Hyundai and Kia have emulated what Ssangyong and Mercedes invented, so there are loads of excellent and cheap diesel cars available from all three manufacturers.

That model Hilux you have has always had a diesel in the rest of the world too. Look, Top Gear UK even tried to destroy one - see vid below.

For the newbie survivalist, the video shows why a 4wd is pretty much necessary in SHTF situation and diesel is the best of the best. A petrol engine would not have survived past Mr Clarkson's 'spot of careless parking'

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

markosity1973
Lol, you gotta love how you Americans are petrol V8 diehards.

Here in OZ the mighty diesel is taking the 4wd world by storm. You get better fuel economy, enough torque to move mountains and now that common rail tech has been properly developed, the same amount of power as a petrol engine.

The king of the bush over here in OZ is the rather unassuming Toyota Landruiser 70 series. They are about as exciting as a patch of mould, ride horribly and are pretty slow but they are just about indestructible and you can get a v8 diesel in them now, which makes them an unstoppable tow machine.

All I buy truck wise is diesels. Love them!

This is my shtf trail vehicle. Fox racing suspension 12" of travel and pretty darned fast.

As far as my diesel goes I'd be stuck in turn 1 on the trail lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join