It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of when I say "Bill Gates"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Is he an image of pioneer in your mind or an image of conservative capialist?

also if you can present some facts about him, I would really appreciate it.

don't know if the topic is too old.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Bill Gates is both God and Satan.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
could you elaborate a little on the satan bit of HIM..:shk:

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by Horus_Re]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus_Re
could you elaborate a little on the satan bit of HIM..:shk:

God: He created an operating system that is used by over 90% of the worlds computer and most programs are written mainly for Windows. He also gives ALOT of money to charities. You cant go through life without having to use Windows.

Satan: Charges INSANE ammounts for said Operating System. Said Operating System is full of bugs, and security holes, and is the target of every major virus and spyware out there.

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
God: He created an operating system that is used by over 90% of the worlds computer and most programs are written mainly for Windows. He also gives ALOT of money to charities. You cant go through life without having to use Windows.

Satan: Charges INSANE ammounts for said Operating System. Said Operating System is full of bugs, and security holes, and is the target of every major virus and spyware out there.

MAN! I couldn't agree more. Maybe Satan is too harsh of a term to use... but I still agree. The only person I would call Satan...?

...Linus Torvalds. (Creator of the Linux kernel)

Don't get me wrong, he is also a very smart man... but if I had to choose one, it'd be Billy G. everytime.

Oh, and by the way...

I am a Windows user (XP Pro)

but...

...I DO use Linux on the side
(Gentoo Linux)

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Some say he his one of the greatest philantrope of today's world, I think he his a very aggressive business man, that knows how to use his cash wisely.

To quote the Principia Discordia, "Some say he his a holy man, some say he is a #head."

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
For some reason I'm always reminded of his debut in South Park

For anyone who hasn't seen the clip, it can be found here.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
First thing that comes to mind: Money

Second: His wife

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I think he's a brilliant businessman, who, when opportunity knocked, answered and followed through. I have seen a documentary that covered the history of the computer and there is no question that there was a certain amount of luck involved when IBM chose Microsoft to write the OS for the PC and in the decision of IBM to license the PC to other manufacturers.

However, Gates was brilliant to require that MS-DOS be a part of the deal. I don't know what the deal is now, but clearly Gates has cornered the market and violated some anti-trust laws along the way.

I think if Apple had licensed their product, it might have done what Gates did, as almost everyone admits that Apple has a superior product, but like Sony before them, availabilty and price won the heart of the public, just as VHS beat out the technically superior Beta format.

Most of the experts I have read agree that Microsoft is the target of so many viruses and whatnot because most people run this system.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
well..
lets just say ill get a few warnings if i post what comes to mind when i think of Bill Gates.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
well..
lets just say ill get a few warnings if i post what comes to mind when i think of Bill Gates.

Been there done that but it wasn't about Bill Gates.

But thinking about Bill Gates i think he is too rich for what he has done and far far far too powerful.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I think of a rich guy with an endless stream of money.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Careful what you say he's probably reading everything your writing.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I read somewhere he supports population-control programs, so I think baby-killer (at risk of this getting into a flame war).

That's stupid. Fewer people buy your product, and you don't get as rich, looking at it from a business standpoint.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The first time I saw an old picture of Bill Gates, and Paul Allen, I realized it might have been these two I saw in a place called "The Last Exit," near the University of Washington. "That poor kid, and that bearded guy," I thought, who used to punch him in the arm. The kid didn't look too happy amidst all the chess boards, but everyone liked the apple pie and coffee. One could never in a million years imagine the kid would be the top dog, and guy punching him possibly in jest and hopefully not too hard, would be founding a rock museum dedicated to Hendrix on half the fortune. That is quite a tidy sum. Clues came up, such as early computer programs called "chess," and the fact that Bill and company was programming the traffic lights in Seattle at the time. All of this was just 1976, contemporary with their soon then to be move to New Mexico. Sigh, I could have hooked up right then, and who knows, be worth billions.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If Bill Gates could somehow improve Microsofts Xbox customer service I would be a little happier with him and his products

Honestly I really don't know much about the guy....but from what Iv'e heard he is constantly spreading his wealth to schools, charities, and disaster relief......so thats good. Now Bill, get the Xbox Next on the shelves soon please..thanks

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Now I think of this!
Damn the web!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'll confess - I like geeky, nerdy guys! Mr. Bill actually looks kinda cute in these pix. Reminds me of a math professor I had my eye on. I like the geeky look, personality and mental ability; I like academians though, Bill strikes me as more of a biz type / computer type and computer guys are (though intelligent) always boring (ATS/BTS members excepted, of course!). Math and Physics guys - booyah! Alot more corruptable (have built in insanity!). Some engineers ok too - depends what they do.

I see BG as more of a biz person who did the right thing at the right time. Some of the uninformed think he invented computers: not so. not remotely close. Computers were around a long, long time before Bill. My Mom used to be a programmer.Ok? way back when. She's so old, she probably worked on UNIVAC.

BG saw a market for a downsized tool and marketed it. Even with his modifications, I don't really see him as an inventor. A modifier / shrewd biz sort who did the right thing at the right time. Ah..........there's hope for us lowly App Eng's after all...........

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Another thing I think of when I consider Bill Gates is ...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Someone that was horribly out of place in his younger years and now he can buy and sell those people.

new topics

top topics

join