It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan orders military to strike any new North Korea missile launches

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

crazyewok
I hate North Korea lets get this clear.

Your fine...

crazyewok
But this is where I see the hypocrisy.

The USA is a Nuclear power yets its telling North Korea and Iran they cant have nukes? Thats hypocrisy at its greatest.

Iran is in the position they are in because they signed the NPT. They have been caught several times now trying to obtain equipment that is used specifically for a weapons program.

If Iran wants nukes, then all they need to do is what North Korea did - withdraw from the NPT.

crazyewok
Plus Israel is not part of any Nuclear weapons treaty s and refuses oversight yet the west is willing to overlook that and be best friends? Again hypocrisy.

This is the mindset that irritates me. Israel is not a signatory of the NPT and their government has not officially confirmed they have a program. If a person refuses to accept that, then they should have no issues accepting the same standard for Iran / North Korea right?

Secondly, Israel has not stated every other week their intent to wipe another country off the map. Iran on the other hand constantly targets Israeli existence and constantly makes comments that are aggressive in nature towards Israel.

North Korea is in the same boat... Constantly threatening S. Korea and the US to rain down Armageddon etc.

The possession of nuclear weapons by Russia and the US is based on the MAD doctrine. Both sides know the moment they are used, everyone lost the war.

Iran and North Korea on the other hand, at least imo based on what I have seen over the years, strikes me as having the mindset of wanting nukes not as a deterrent, but as an automatic I win button without concern for the aftermath.

To me, they (Iran / North Korea) want just enough to use to eliminate / cause massive damage to their "arch nemesis". When considering why a nation feels the need to possess nuclear weapons, one must look at that governments view towards their own people.

When a government like N. Korea / Iran has no problems oppressing / murdering their own civilians for the heinous crime of not agreeing with the official government position, its tells me possession of nukes by those governments is a bad bad bad idea. It tells me they don't care about the effect, so long as they can kill as many of the enemy as possible while not caring about the after effect on their own people.

I don't think any nations should have nuclear weapons... Even more so since I live in the only nation on the globe that has used them for a military purpose (Germany and Japan both had the same research, and had they gotten there first WWII most likely would have had a different conclusion).

Sticking to just North Korea - they have demonstrated in the past their willingness to engage in activity that causes the world to cringe. The result is the world giving North Korea items they need, like food, in exchange for them to stop the behavior. A year goes by and we end up repeating the scenario all over again.

What happens when the world tells North Korea "no" to any and all aid. What would prevent N. Korea from using a wmd or selling one to another country / group?

An all or nothing mentality, like North Korea has, is extremely dangerous and predictable to the extent of being unpredictable.
edit on 5-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
McCain was a 'guest' on the david letterman show the other week,
said "he wouldn't be surprised to see an exchange between japan and china in the next 6 months"
edit on 5-4-2014 by UNIT76 because: forgot to add the timeframe (6 months)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's hard to read Kim Un's body language because there isn't much to read other than cockiness, and an eagerness that is barely restrained. How he will respond to this (reasonably or see it as a challenge) - only time will tell. It's as if they want to be a part of the international community but they don't know how to. The leadership is so used to this worshipping mentality that I'm not sure they would ever be able to join the rest peacefully. Lots of conditioning to work through.

Only a year ago that Country was threatening the US directly. Because they are so far removed from the rest of the planet as far as some level of societal norms I don't think they should have access to weapons of mass destruction (sovereign or not). For all they have done no one has attacked them. No one wants what they have and they have built a wall so high with weirdness that no one ever will. When they join the rest of the world with some semblance of decency in working with others - instead of being so cantankerous maybe then. For now they are too trigger happy. Having said that - that hasn't stopped them from doing whatever they want.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Here's a thought, why don't Nk fire their missiles out in to the Yellow sea towards China. Problem solved..

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

The Japanese have every right to shoot down any countries missile if they venture into the Japanese waters but at the same time, who are they kidding? Also shooting down one of North Korea's missiles risks a retaliation and to me it wouldn't be worth it.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 168617

With the way North Korea has been acting as of late, a retaliation could very well be on the board if Japan shoots down one of their missiles. I would not hold it past them one bit.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
When I lived in Tokyo in early 2012, there had been some missile tests and Japan really put their defense systems on high alert.
You could see Patriot Systems all arround the city and warships with anti missiles systems all over the Japanese sea.

This is a common thing to do by Japan, nothing out of the ordinary.

I am not saying the situation is not dangerous, but nothing special for them.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

To understand the Iranian/Israel problem you must first understand religion and this is the underlying issue with Iranian hostilities towards Israel. The modern day government of Israel and their Zionist cronies have no legitimate right to Palestine and because they used religion as their proof, then religion must be examined to understand their stance.

Iran do not like Israel because they are not regulated by Jewish religious law as the legitimate Israel's from the past were. So this Israel is actually a counterfeit and an insult to the Iranians and other Muslims in the region. It should and is an insult to many Jews also from within Israel and outside Israel. The Iranian issue isn't with Jews, but the Zionists who proclaim to be Jewish yet act like godless tyrants. It's like Hilary Clinton saying "The Iranian government are ruthless dictators but we are with the Iranian people"... Iran have the same stance when it comes to the Euro-Jews who have no genetic ties to Palestine and funnily enough cannot prove their semite origins either.

Iran do not hate Jews, Islam admits that the Holyland was given to the Israelites but only if they were righteous (The inheritance was conditional) and this government in Israel is in no means righteous according to any religious teachings. If anything, their destiny is destruction which will be the result of their own doings, no-one elses.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 168617

With all due respect the Jewish religion has been around a lot longer than Islam has. Secondly, the invocation of Israel was in regards to possession of nuclear weapons. Their government, just like Iran's, deny they have them / plans to build them. If we are going to take intelligence estimates at face value with regards to Israel being in possession, then the same standard will apply to Iran.

North Korea, like Iran, constantly spews out threats against their neighbors. Israel's response is limited to the Iranian nuke program. North Korea's threats are not specific with the exception of destroying their enemies completely and feasting on the bones of the dead. Not to mention Iran likes to play the word game.. What I mean is their comments about not hating Israelis, just the government. An interesting word play considering Iran does not and has not ever recognized the government of Israel nor the state of Israel. The same position the Palestinian leader just voiced in the last month.

The other major factor that most people either ignore or are just not aware of is the war between North Korea and the UN Command / South Korea is still on going. A peace treaty was never signed and what we have today is nothing more than a cease fire that has held, more or less, for the last 60 years.

Its one thing for 2 nations to yell at each other while making threats. It comes to a whole new level when the 2 countries are still officially at war. The standard threat the world see's coming from North Korea via their rhetoric must be taken at face value and that the North intends on carrying out the threat. The South has no choice because they are still at war with North Korea.

The situation on the Korean peninsula is not even in the same ball park as the issues in the middle east.

la2

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

I don't agree, Japan has bitten it's tongue for long enough, and for Japan to strike back would be a huge deal. Since 1945 Japan has had virtually no military, being the only country to suffer a nuclear attack the Japanese know better than any nation the TRUE cost of war.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I agree with you that the two issues (North/South Korea and Israel/Iran) are completely different issues for different reasons. I understand that the Korean issue never really ended but all I was doing is pointing out that the Middle Eastern issue isn't completely political. Israel's argument is for democratic political reason's whilst Iran's (Being regulated by Islam and the sharia) is religiously motivated more than political. I only brought it up because it was mentioned. I do not support North Korea either and though I do agree they have the right to independence, I think the current dictatorship is not the right direction for North Korea and must somehow be neutralized.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

_BoneZ_
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Definitely not a good spot as the U.S. will get dragged into the middle of it all since we're allies with Japan and South Korea. Anything that happens over there will impact the U.S. in one form or another.

That's a pretty ungracious remark since Japan and South Korea have been treated as a shield against Communist aggression since the 1950s and should reasonably expect some quid pro quo from USA.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
There seems to be a few Conutry's showing off at the moment. I hope that is all it is... showing off!

Russia/Ukraine
Turkey/Syria
NK/SK/Japan.

I hope it all calms down soon because any slight mishap could spark all out war!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I read all the previous posts with interest and there has been some good debate. Here is my thinking...

NK is firing missiles towards Japan, I dont blame Japan for engaging their anti Missile system. Japan has a basic right of protecting itself regardless of law. Its (japans) people expect their government to protect them.

As for North Korea there has been comment about equality such as if the US and others are allowed nuclear weapons then NK should be allowed them. My problem is that the N Korean leadership is hardly mature enough to be trusted with them. Its like giving a depressed teenager a M16 and saying use it responsibly while he walks off to school suicidal. I would not trust a madman with absolute power to the point where he thinks he is a god with a nuke. Sadly he has a couple of nukes. I dont want to draw parallels to other countries, and refuse to do so as this is a entirely different set of circumstances.

NK is a strategic interest to China, but as mentioned many believe they are running out of patience... which therefore gives opportunities for China and the world.

I do believe that the NK question needs to be solved and the only way to do it is to remove its leadership and free is people. In my thoughts any outcome with this objective would be a win. This is where the US / China and even Russia could work together for a outcome that is positive to all but I do believe the current NK leadership needs to go and Nukes removed from NK. In a perfect world, unification can then be possible in time. Imagine that??? That part of the world would be a different place.

Someone commented that Japan wont fight because they know how bad war can be in reference that the US has nuked them in the past. I say to you that Japan wont let themselves be nuked again by NK for that exact reason. Japan knows the pain they lots hundreds on thousands of their own people to a Nuclear attack... and now they have a Nuclear aggressive state on their doorstep lobbing missles over their head? Sorry but I do feel for Japan. I wouldnt want a agressive country lauching "test" missiles over my country.

Good on Japan for not being Naive!!! They are certainly not the ones "Throwing their toys out of their cot" so the saying goes.
edit on 6-4-2014 by Reinmax because: Spelling mistakes sigh

edit on 6-4-2014 by Reinmax because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Goteborg

Wrabbit2000
I see where they didn't mean this to be public but it's an awkward spot now. Kim is almost goaded into trying, as I'm sure he sees it, based on his previous actions. Japan really can't allow another one now, without possibly showing weakness if it's publicly expected they won't.

I'm not so sure the release of the order is accidental. North Korea is used to getting their way with the US just by making a lot of noise but Japan is actually dealing with the missiles being fired in their general direction and the article said the meetings didn't really accomplish anything. This could be Japan's way of showing North Korea that they aren't equals and that they're growing tired of North Korea. Japan doesn't really have anything to lose by shooting missiles down in front of the whole world but the little loud mouth in Pyongyang has a lot to lose.

Japan would not stand a chance against North Korea. Get serious please.

Xcathdra
At some point N. Korea is going to become one of those issues for china where the mindset of having a unified Korea under Seoul would be less problematic than allowing Un to continue to act like Dr. Strangelove.

China has advanced to the point where they are not willing to throw away what they have accomplished in order to save a regime that is nothing more than a spoiled brat who wastes their allowance on trivial items while expecting China to protect them when they piss off other countries.

The closer we get to the collapse of the North Korean government the more likely the North Korean government will be to start an armed conflict in hopes of saving themselves by sacrificing the N. Korean people.

I could see China invading North Korea to protect themselves before allowing the North to drag them into an armed conflict. Add in the territorial issues China has with other Asian nations and N. Korea becomes even less of a priority.

China isn't going to dare to get itself involved in any war with North Korea. They know better. If there is going to be a reunification of the Korean peninsula, it will be under North Korea, not the South. Because eventually, someone like Japan or USA, or South Korea, but definitely NOT China, is going to be stupid enough to start something with North Korea, and when they do, they will go down hard, and the whole peninsula is going under their control.
edit on 6-4-2014 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Japan said this last time, little Kim took the warning to heart and did not shoot it their way. If he does all hell will be unleashed on him, way to many countries have had it with him and China for that matter.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

You're telling me to get serious? North Korea has no ability to enforce their will on Japan and Japan needs nothing from North Korea except perhaps some kidnap victims repatriated. If you think I've got that wrong then please explain what you think the situation is.

edit: nevermind, I responded before you edited the post. If that's what you really believe then your comment makes sense.

edit on 4 6 2014 by Goteborg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Reinmax

As for North Korea there has been comment about equality such as if the US and others are allowed nuclear weapons then NK should be allowed them. My problem is that the N Korean leadership is hardly mature enough to be trusted with them. Its like giving a depressed teenager a M16 and saying use it responsibly while he walks off to school suicidal.

I agree completely. The US having Nukes is just the same as letting a street gang have them. Gang bangers with Nukes. I do not want anyone to have the damn things. The question is one of utter hypocrisy.

In a perfect world, unification can then be possible in time. Imagine that??? That part of the world would be a different place.

It would be nice, but who's puppets would be in power, the US, Russia, China, choose one! It will not happen and I think China does not want the situation changed at this point. It is too good an asset. With a bit of goading and a few promises, China can involve the West in a horrendous war without getting her hands dirty. NK is not a pushover which is why no one wants to try.

Good post, well thought out, my compliments.

P

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

If NK were stupid enough to start a fight with Japan watch how fast NK gets beat into submission. Do you not remember how Japan took all of Korea and most of China as well, not to mention the whole southeastern Pacific till the U.S. started to kick them back. Sure times are different but Japan can muster a whole lot of muscle when they have to. Let alone the U.S. is obligated to defend them as our own. With the amount of U.S. destroyers in the area with the SM-3 Missile on them NK would not get any missiles into Japan, let alone the south is itching to beat the dog snot out of NK.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Patriotsrevenge
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Japan said this last time, little Kim took the warning to heart and did not shoot it their way. If he does all hell will be unleashed on him, way to many countries have had it with him and China for that matter.

Patriotsrevenge

If NK were stupid enough to start a fight with Japan watch how fast NK gets beat into submission. Do you not remember how Japan took all of Korea and most of China as well, not to mention the whole southeastern Pacific till the U.S. started to kick them back. Sure times are different but Japan can muster a whole lot of muscle when they have to. Let alone the U.S. is obligated to defend them as our own. With the amount of U.S. destroyers in the area with the SM-3 Missile on them NK would not get any missiles into Japan, let alone the south is itching to beat the dog snot out of NK.

It's the most heavily fortified and protected country in the world. They have been at de facto war state for 61 years. They have most of their war machine built underground in heavily fortified bunkers under mountains. Any air attack won't even make a dent on them.

They are built for a war of attrition. Someone dares to go in there, and they face a brutal geography and weather, with miles of land mines, and facing the world's most elite special forces and hand to hand fighters. US forces were destroyed the last time they tried it.

The difference is now they are actually prepared for this, unlike then. Heavily bunkered in and with seemingly endless tons of munitions stored deep underground, along with the armored vehicles.

Oh yeah, and they have very advanced cyber weaponry, and EMP capability. So that they can take out satellites and defense systems. And they have an extremely brutal amphibious marine special forces unit that can be forward deployed anywhere in the world, but certainly can wreak havoc in that part of the world (Japan, Koreas, China). They can be deployed with small undetectable stealth subs and they are more lethal units than Navy frogmen. Their number is large also.

Let's not even get into chemical weapons, dirty bombs, biological weapons, nukes, and stuff like that, and who the hell knows what they might possibly do. All things they are CAPABLE of doing.

Anyone that is stupid enough to open up that Pandora's box on that peninsula, and that includes the USA, will never know what hit them. And people like you, that keep making these comments about how something should be done about North Korea, are displaying psychopathic like behaviors and tendencies.
edit on 6-4-2014 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join