It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Generation Solar Cells to be 100 Million Times More Efficient

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I read only 1% of the former quantity of nanotubes would be required with the new cells. How much does this reduce the cost of the solar cell? We need the total cost of nanotubes per cell.

Then I read efficiency will be much better. So in effect, we are all left wondering what will be the new price per energy output of these solar cells when they are produced. I was wondering how much the efficiency of the overall cell will be improved whenever this discovery gets applied to the manufacturing process.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Tech to the rescue,

I've always believed it would not be Economy that gets us off Gas reliance, but meta materials that make or reliance on gas down right silly.

Its coming, you see the push back, look at the troubles Tesla is facing with the car.

Add Solar cells made with new processes, suddenly it gets hard to continue to bash electric vehicles, with arguments like its still coal powered fading away, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some heavy push backs against alternatives as they become more efficient from the dinosaur that is big OIL.

edit on 5-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

OK I had not heard about that. $50 dollars does seem steep but $5 to use the grid I think I could live with. When I last checked into installing solar here in Florida there is a $20K write off but no rebates but I believe states such as California had many thousands more worth of rebates paying upwards in some cases of $2 per installed watt in some cases that is over half the cost.

Paying $5 a month doesn't seem bad after I looked up California cost of electric which is $ 5.78 avg cost/watt

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

liejunkie01
Sounds good.

Lets get the machines a humming. I hate my power bill.

Unless the power companies buy up all the tech and still charge outragous prices

I fully expect that will happen. Think about it - people are now evicted for living off the grid and arrested for collecting rain water on their own property. How long before sunlight is declared a resource solely owned and controlled by corporations ?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

GrimpachiOK I had not heard about that. $50 dollars does seem steep but $5 to use the grid I think I could live with. When I last checked into installing solar here in Florida there is a $20K write off but no rebates but I believe states such as California had many thousands more worth of rebates paying upwards in some cases of $2 per installed watt in some cases that is over half the cost.

Paying $5 a month doesn't seem bad

The way my old house was set up is during the day any power generated that I didn't use went back into the grid effectively running the meter backwards and at night I used the grid power. After about a year of moving in I started to get checks from the power company for the credits not used the year before. It was much more than $5 a month. I started becoming more frugal at that point and buying more energy efficient appliances.

Man I miss not having a power bill. $50 though would have been more than I got back in some of the winter months though so that would have sucked.

I agree. Unfortunately in many cases there is a small leak before the dam bursts. A few $$ when it's only 1% of consumption is not bad, what about when/if more people adopt solar, what then?
edit on 5-4-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Well it your source did say it was lowered from $50 to $5 and as long as their is a reasonable amount attached to using the grid I can understand but if things were to rise I would have to know the justification for it.

BTW....err....WTH happened to my post is it just my screen because only half of what I wrote is showing but you were able to quote all of it? I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't quoted me.

Has that happened to you before?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
When they have it in commercial form I am going to put a sheet on top of my Tesla Model X to power it by an extra 20%.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join