It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Generation Solar Cells to be 100 Million Times More Efficient

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Next-generation solar cells could be infinitely mosre useful thanks to a newly discovered nanotube structure capable of transporting electrical charges 100 million times higher than previously measured...

...carbon nanotubes that can be implemented to enhance the light absorption capabilities of current cells...

..."We can reduce the amount of carbon nanotube material used by at least 100 times, meaning much lower materials costs."

Source

This sounds amazing. I wonder what the implications of this are... Could we within our lifetimes see the world powered mostly by solar energy? Could this replace our dependence on oil?
I'm very curious to see how this technology will play out.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Sounds pretty interesting. S&F

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I see some sort of amazing breakthrough in solar cell technology at least once a year. Every time they claimed to have increased the efficiency of the solar cell by a tremendous degree. But in the real world solar cell technology hardly gets better with time, it gets better slowly but it doesn't match the speed of these breakthroughs. And I'm not saying this news is bunk, I'm saying don't hold your breath hoping to see 100x more efficient solar cell technology on the market any time soon.
edit on 5/4/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Sounds good.

Lets get the machines a humming. I hate my power bill.

Unless the power companies buy up all the tech and still charge outragous prices.

I guess I can still dream of not having a power bill..lol
edit on 5-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
OP, this increases the conductivity of the cell which is real nice, but it doesn't increase the efficiency 100 million times.

Efficiency tops out at 100%. Taking out conduction losses is a plus...but it's probably a 5-10% efficiency bump.

I know the article says this. It's an example of the sad state of technical journalism.
edit on 5-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I keep debating weather or not to invest in solar for my house. My old house had it and I actually got money paid to me from the electric company but the house came with them. Currently my understanding is they will pay themselves off after 4-5 years probably faster where I live and I can write of 20K that year on my taxes but as ChaoticOrder pointed out there is always a breakthrough in the tech it seems every 6 months or a year and it would suck to spend the money on tech that may be obsolete in 6 months.

It is a great article and I don't doubt it I just wish I knew or it said when we may see it hit the market.

Decisions decisions.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder
I see some sort of amazing breakthrough in solar cell technology at least once a year. Every time they claimed to have increased the efficiency of the solar cell by a tremendous degree. But in the real world solar cell technology hardly gets better with time, it gets better slowly but it doesn't match the speed of these breakthroughs. And I'm not saying this news is bunk, I'm saying don't hold your breath hoping to see 100x more efficient solar cell technology on the market any time soon.

I could not agree more.

The energy industry does not want us to be self sufficient with energy, that is obvious.

If we did have the latest solar cell technology, the entire world would be running on Hydrogen in a completely green and clean manner.

So many associated discoveries and developments are also blocked.

To get ahead and provide a techno paradise we need to get rid of the bankers and the energy tycoons.

One day perhaps.

P

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
As someone else mentioned I am sure this is not a big increase in efficiency. The good news is that when they charge you to take your "extra" energy (which they will then sell) you will have more energy for them to bill you for.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

What are you talking about? Being charged to take your extra energy???

The legislation that was passed here means they pay you to take your extra energy at the same rate you would have to pay to buy it from them. I think that is pretty standard in most states.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder

mmmm... well we all know why this is, Big Energy does everything possible to hold the tech back anyway they can... It doesn't mean the advance is bs, it just means they will go through hoop after hoop, potential pay offs, lobbyists and god knows what else before we see it come to the light of day (pun intended)

But I wouldn't be negative about it, I say, everyone that can squeeze it out should invest in solar anyway they can... at any level because in America money talks and bs walks so to speak...

The situation is ridiculous, The Ford Tesla isn't being sold in 2 states... You have to by law plug into the grid, they will do anything to keep you hooked on oil, it's not wrong that the tech is there, it just isn't going to be easy, the people have to put a lot of fight into this.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
100 million times? seriously?

do the math to where it would start to hit 100% efficient.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

What are you talking about? Being charged to take your extra energy???

The legislation that was passed here means they pay you to take your extra energy at the same rate you would have to pay to buy it from them. I think that is pretty standard in most states.

This is what I am talking about ....

Power companies aim to charge solar customers for grid use By RAY HENRY

The Associated Press
ATLANTA – Sunlight is free, but if you use it to make electricity, your power company wants you to pay.

Utilities in many states say solar-friendly rate plans, conceived to promote alternative energy sources, are too generous and allow solar customers to avoid paying for the grid even though they use it.

www.nashuatelegraph.com...

In California, the number one state for solar energy, a months-long lobbying battle raged until this fall, when lawmakers crafted a compromise. Sacramento preserved net metering for now, but directed the state's Public Utility Commission to come up with a new program by 2017 that ensures nonsolar customers don't get stuck with an unfair burden of paying for the grid. Next door in Arizona, regulators also deferred a showdown, voting in November to allow the state's largest utility to tack an additional fee, about $5 a month, on the bill of customers with new solar installations. It's far less than the $50 monthly surcharge Arizona Public Service originally sought.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 5-4-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

These carbon nannotubes have so many applications it will make a significant change in how smal electronic devices will become. On the otherhand it can provide a huge amount of energy compared with other energy deliverers of the same size. I think it will be possible to make a laser handgun which can deliver a lethal beam.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Sounds like an overly extravagant claim to me but any improvement, however modest, is good.

Solar tech is still kinda limited with the available midday energy in an ideal location being around 1kW/m^2 so that's the best you can get at even the impossible 100% efficiency. So 20m^2 of roof space may one day achieve 20kW for just a few hours an ideal day & season.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Carbon nano tubes, some specific polymer at 2000 C, a path way to ZPE is what I am hearing. Einstein already gave some some idea idea just how much energy was wind up in matter. I was on the back foot when I heard just how much power the solar cells in the robots sent to mars had. Adapting the cost / benefit takes its time.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Try this news flash on for size....cheniere.org... Check out the date this was accomplished.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

This is nothing, there is so much unbelievable technology hidden under lock and key paid by tax payers to develop.

Military tech is 50 years ahead.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

RadiationAndCancer

Military tech is 50 years ahead.

This is usually meant in reference to the fact that the military have the budget and motivation to have expensive novel tech bespoke built that is too early and expensive for general public adoption. It doesn't literally mean they have technology that won't exist for another 50 years.
edit on 5-4-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This is pretty neat. S&F

I think as the housing industry looks for new avenues, especially with the increased hype in "Small Houses" in remote locations, increased Solar Cell technology looks very promising to power these homes.

Eventually the bankers an energy tycoons will have to release their grip as the world oil continues to deplete, especially with up and coming industrial nations like China and India, we might as well start now.

Perhaps architects will start including Solar cell integration into building infrastructure.
Imagine a sprawling metropolis with solar cells providing a good chunk of power.
Bankers an Energy Tycoons may try to have a grip in the market, but an equal amount of money grubbing folks want to cut as much cost as possible too.
This is going to be a tug of war between the TPTB on the issue, hopefully it destroys them from the inside, either way I think this is going to be a win for us.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What company owns the patent rights?

Whoever is manufacturing this sounds like a good investment, as in stocks, or the product when it becomes available.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join