It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forum Descriptions, The Lack Of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Had not really paid attention to this until tonight, however: ever since the new format ATS went to, there is no longer a description under the forum title (eg Name of the forum, then under it a brief description of what the forum is for).

Either I'm missing how one finds it (which, especially for new members, it should be something quite visible in order to help those new members decide if a thread they wish to create should really be in that forum or not), or they are just not displayed anymore.

I've noticed since the beginning of March, a large increase of membership (and I'm sure it's simply because ATS is a shining example of being a great forum that people want to be part of......and not some agenda by certain people or groups....heh....), and many of those new people have created threads that for the most part do not belong in certain forums and need to be moved.

Some examples of what I'm talking about are like the US Political Madness forum, it is NOT for Partisan Debate, rather threads like that belong in the Political Rivalry forum. There is a big, fat sticky post by SkepticOverlord that states just that as it's title there.

However, we have a lot of, ahem, new people that seem to think that's where Partisan Debate goes.

Maybe it would help if we could somehow bring the forum descriptions back? I'm sure the mods would appreciate not having to move so many threads around to where they belong.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

MUCH AGREE.

It's also a problem even for some of us old timers when we want to be sure exactly which forum to post a new thread in.

The criteria have evolved, changed over the years and I try to be up to date in understanding the criteria for threads in each forum.

However, given the lack of the forum descriptor paragraphs, I don't know how I can do that currently.

Thx for this thread.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
At the start of each Forum is usually a sticky post giving an in depth explanation.

I prefer looking at the in depth as opposed to a really sort explanation.

P

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Well Erik, while I understand your point, the forums are self explanatory to a degree. However, I suspect that any thread that is not where it is supposed to be or violates protocol a capable moderator will put it in its rightful place I am sure or at least if you suspect a thread is not where it is supposed to be, you can send one of those "ALERT" messages and when they get around to it perhaps they will do something about it. Otherwise, I really don't think this belongs in "Board Business and Questions", it sounds more like a "Rant" to me. Perhaps I will "ALERT" the moderators and see what they think.

JK! Really, though I wouldn't get in such a snit over nothing.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I agree entirely with the comments in the OP (and since this thread is on the subject of how the Board works, "Board Business" is exactly the right place for it).

Another example of possible confusion; how are newer members supposed to distinguish properly between "Predictions and Prophecies" and "Dreams and Predictions"?
The fact that they have similar names is confusing enough already.
As an old hand in one of them, I 'm aware that the personal predictions of members are supposed to go in "Dreams and Predictions", while "Predictions and Prophecies" was for discussing prophecies published elsewhere (e.g. Nostradamus, Revelation).
Whatever distinction still exists between the two is now maintained by the occasional Mod who remembers what the forum description used to be.

Another forum description which I know by heart, because I was obliged to quote it so often, is the one that belongss to the "Religion and Theology" forum.

Bring back forum descriptions, so that people know what the forums are for.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

pheonix358
At the start of each Forum is usually a sticky post giving an in depth explanation.

I prefer looking at the in depth as opposed to a really sort explanation.

P

Unfortunately, not every forum has that Sticky. In some cases, the sticky is located further down and not at the top of the thread (for example, the UFO and Aliens forum, it's the 10th thing down the line, where as in Skunk Works, it is the first thing that is posted).

While certain forums should be easy to understand if something goes there or not (IE Space Exploration and Fragile Earth, neither of which has that sticky), you'd be surprised and what ends up there some times, heh.

Then you have Breaking Alternate News, which has a sticky located down a ways, then General Breaking News, which has a sticky....but refers simply that you should follow the guidelines in the other two breaking news forum, then you have Breaking Political News.......which has no sticky at all (and should be self explanatory....but, well....I guess it isn't, heh).

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

soulpowertothendegree

Well Erik, while I understand your point, the forums are self explanatory to a degree. However, I suspect that any thread that is not where it is supposed to be or violates protocol a capable moderator will put it in its rightful place I am sure or at least if you suspect a thread is not where it is supposed to be, you can send one of those "ALERT" messages and when they get around to it perhaps they will do something about it. Otherwise, I really don't think this belongs in "Board Business and Questions", it sounds more like a "Rant" to me. Perhaps I will "ALERT" the moderators and see what they think.

JK! Really, though I wouldn't get in such a snit over nothing.

Not really in a "snit" so to speak.

Just offering a suggestion to make the boards easier to navigate, especially for newer people, (or older ones that don't remember the descriptions).

new topics

top topics

join