It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old news about Hubble Telescope and disintegrating asteroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
EDIT: This is old news that a blog apparently ran today and it got picked up as breaking news on the Bing search engine and April fooled me. Here is a thread on this from March 6.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mods, please redirect to the old thread, and take me and Bing out back for a good horse whipping.

(Back in early March) Hubble focused on a disintegrating asteroid which has separated into at least ten pieces.

blogs.kqed.org...

Asteroid P/2013 R3 was discovered in the Catalina and PanSTARRS sky survey data on September 15th last year. When follow-up observations were made by the giant Keck telescope in Hawaii, three separate objects traveling together within a cloud of dust the size of Earth were revealed. This elevated the level of interest in the object to warrant a look at it through Hubble.

...….

Hubble’s perceptive eye made out not three, but 10 distinct objects moving in a pack, the four largest chunks as big as 400 meters across. Also, the fragments are separating from each other at a stately one mile per hour. This could only mean one thing: the small mountain of rock was caught in the act of disintegrating, an event that we had previously only observed in the more fragile and heat-sensitive objects we classify as comets.

Smile for the camera:

edit on 4-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Yes, how dare you parrot my thread as "breaking news"! *pouts*

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

wildespace
Yes, how dare you parrot my thread as "breaking news"! *pouts*

I hang my head in shame. What happened is I Binged "Hubble telescope" which I do sometimes, and it gave me a link to a two-hour old story. I then checked the appropriate threads here to see if a new story on this was posted, it wasn't, so I ran with it. Then I, duh, checked the search engine here (live and don't learn is my motto apparently) and found your story, and put the "Old News" into the headline and the link in my OP. I don't recall seeing your story when it was posted, but I probably did and both forgot and/or posted on it (I haven't checked if I posted, right back....)...ah, no wonder, your thread only had a few responses and then was gone. It definitely needs a few bumps, this is really a good discovery and worth more eyes on it. I'll go bump it now...
edit on 5-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

join