It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shill issue?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was wondering how often this site will allow obvious shill agents to post political propaganda? The sign-up dates, + the thread content... it's pretty obvious who they are. Considering that they often create threads, then fail to reply to said threads, I would think that alone would be an issue. Waste of space? I think so. Propagating political agendas? I think that as well. I was just kinda curious as to how the wind was blowin' in regards to those sorts of things. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
One person's shill is another's whistle blower.

Freedom of speech and all that. Don't like what they're spewing?
Don't participate.

Freedom of Choice

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I'm not sure there's a sure fire way to stop shills. I moderate a few boards here and there and I've been seeing them pop up pretty big in the past month or so. Mostly since right after the first of march. I try to police them but the just keep showing up. I know there are a number of sites that have a minimum "reply" number before you're allowed to create a topic. I know ATS, at one time, did this. I don't know if they do at the moment though. Might be a good program to bring back if it has been abandoned.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I know who is being refered to. I don't mind the posts, but this particular OP never comments back after the posts and barely even comments on the opening OP staements.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think the real shill issue, is that a lot of people seem to assume people that hold different viewpoints or beliefs must be shills or trolls. Not saying OP falls into the catagory, just thought it was relevant to the topic.
edit on Fri, 04 Apr 2014 22:17:37 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Anyone can join and do thread after thread about a political agenda.

I think it's great.

1.) It indicates that the political motivation is desperate.
2.) It provides a forum to debunk such false political claims.
3.) It strengthens the argument and knowledge base on the truth of the matter.
4.) To repeat above, free speech. Defending free speech is defending speech you DON'T agree with.
5.) I like scotch. It has nothing to do with the subject, but my OCD makes me do 5 items.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well, as someone who was accused of "being a shill" today I can tell you that it's just not always true, because one thinks it is.

I was cited by another member because I haven't started any threads in my time here since I joined in late 2012. That's because as I read the T&C I understood that posts here at ATS were supposed to be high-content, well-researched pieces of rational writing that contributed to the overall information available on the site.

The member who accused me of "shilldom" today took the facts that 1) I have to date made no posts of my own and 2) I was arguing on behalf of the Obama administration as proof positive.

It's maddening to come up against that kind of accusation merely because you don't kowtow to the predominant discourse of Obama-bashing, and because you have had respect for the quality of site of which you are a member.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
What's the difference between a new member doing this openly in a political forum or an established member doing it by injecting their politics into threads which are ostensibly about non-political topics. At least the "shill" is honest and open about their intentions.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

mugger
I'm pretty sure I know who is being refered to. I don't mind the posts, but this particular OP never comments back after the posts and barely even comments on the opening OP staements.

Most of us know who the OP is referring to. Be careful or you'll get your wrist slapped after they hit the alert button on you. That is the only reason that person is posting at all. It's bait meant to get folks banned. I'm not the only one that learned that the hard way the other evening.

Everyone should ignore "those" threads. Don't take the bait. It's the only thing you can do. In the end they are laughing while you are getting dinged "super uber precious points" left and right.

edit on 4/4/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Goteborg
What's the difference between a new member doing this openly in a political forum or an established member doing it by injecting their politics into threads which are ostensibly about non-political topics.

At least the "shill" is honest and open about their intentions.

Yeah. Honest. Not like Obama-. . . oops.

***************************************************************************************

Seriously, those of us that live in the political forums (I actually get my mail forwarded there) it's a never ending, ongoing battle.

But just imagine how boring the political forums would be if we all agreed on everything.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Enough with this shill , rubbish!

Shill=troll ....we don't feed trolls ..

If your wise enough to "believe" they are shills ... Then your wise enough to not let their "shill magic" effect your thoughts ! Or emotions...

Or , learn how to counter shill magic!...

Humbly LSH

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The 2014 election debate is now officially open.

Let people come and voice opinions.

It separates the "men" from the "boys" every time.

The stronger and more fact-based arguments will always prevail.

-->>>>

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

SLAYER69

Don't participate.

Freedom of Choice

Slayer once again you have wrote a post that is both of importance and shows wisdom.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
They posted something I disagree with. therefore they are a a shill.

heh

Slayer pretty much answered this thread anyhow. In regards to the person In question this is no doubt aimed at, well, I have been watching every single opposing talking point auto tossed up here for years now without any opposition. so someone else has decided to play the same game on the opposing side and suddenly people cry foul.

I find that amusing overall.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chronogoblin

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

What defines a shill? Someone who has the temerity to disagree with you? Or disagree with me? Someone who comes across as a shill today, may not be tomorrow... Why would that be? Gee, I'll bet for most of you, it would be that he/she agreed with you today, but not yesterday...

So what is a shill?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Such utter nonsense. This is the INTERNETS people! Trolls abound shills are myths. Get a clue and a much thicker skin (a faster brain helps too).

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Well , they don't bother me . I do get some Good Laughs at their Lame Attemps at trying to get Members here to respond to them . They are like Bad T.V. Commercials , just change the Channel and they Go Away...........

i297.photobucket.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

The HB Gary debacle and recent NSA revelations prove shills are certainly NOT a myth.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

From health care to tepco all the way to Crimea you are 100% right but if they start curving free speech it is a slippery slope and who on earth can make that call?

It sucks but free speech must win out even for the shills.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Don't participate.

Freedom of Choice

I would be in total agreement with your there, but, there isn't exactly free speech here either. They already do censor certain types of speech and topics so your point isn't exactly correct.

However, if it really was allowed to say anything you wanted here, then I'd say you're absolutely correct.

There is Freedom of Choice however, as far as participation in a thread or not so I'm with ya there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join